Geocaching on a Blackberry?

Tyren

There is a download app called Cacheberry. This might be a good start.

I looked at Cacheberry but it does not appear you can on a whim decide to GC but you have to download GPX files that you want to do. I have been using Geocache Navigator from Trimble Outdoors. Very user friendly but they charge a monthly fee of $5 or $6 but you can just decide anyplace you are to find caches that are nearby. Would be nice to find something like it for a one time fee.

(moderator note... I moved this post and the next two to the current topic about Blackberry devices and the Cacheberry program -- mtn-man)

FYI: Cacheberry was updated (many times) and currently supports, multi databases as well and a built in GPS radar screen.. I was a PALM user and liked Cachemate very well, but I think Cacheberry may now be my all time favorite app..

Edited by mtn-man

Very user friendly but they charge a monthly fee of $5 or $6 but you can just decide anyplace you are to find caches that are nearby. Would be nice to find something like it for a one time fee.

Wow that's outrageous! they charge more then GS does for a premium membership. Another reason the blackberry is a sinking ship.

I have been using CacheBerry on my BlackBerry Storm 9130 with great results. Besides continually updating the software, the author is also very receptive to suggestions. Here is what I posted on our local NWOGEO.org forums recently:

CacheBerry Version 1.5 (1.99.94 Beta, 21-March-2009)

• NEW! Geocaching Compass
  • NEW! Storm version with multi-touch
  • Supports Geocaching.com GPX format
  • View comprehensive listing details
  • View recent logs
  • View and decrypt hints
  • View Travel Bug® inventories
  • Show cache on Google and BlackBerry maps
  • Enter and Export Field Notes
  • Sort by nearest, recent finds, waypoint, title
  • Uploadable Field Notes
  • Search waypoint, title, description and owner
  • Import from SD-Card or USB transfer

Links:

From your PC: CacheBerry.com

From your BB: OTA Link (it includes versions for BB OS 4.1 through 4.7)

Here are a few actual screen shots from my Storm

List screen example:

Capture0_5_32.jpg

Cache screen example:

Capture0_13_27.jpg

Compass view:

Capture7_26_34.jpg

Edited by GizmoGuy411

I use Geocache navigator on my BB 8110. I found my particular BB to be way more accurate than my garmin 60CSx, down to 0.7m, of course, that doesn't help when someone places a cache with an accuracy of 10 meters or so. LOL.

The only draw back is battery life. Having the software constantly polling the GPS chip, and the cellular chip working, drains the battery quite quicker, Though I did manage to get five hours of caching from a battery charge.

I looked at Cacheberry but it does not appear you can on a whim decide to GC but you have to download GPX files that you want to do

Recent versions of CacheBerry have the ability to show the nearest caches (based on GPS) on gc.com, from there you can download the caches directly into CacheBerry via the included BlackBerry browser plugin.

The next release fully supports zip files so you can email any pocket query direct from gc.com to your BB and load it into CacheBerry in just a few clicks. Currently you can email uncompressed pocket queries (OS 4.5 or better).

I looked at Cacheberry but it does not appear you can on a whim decide to GC but you have to download GPX files that you want to do

Recent versions of CacheBerry have the ability to show the nearest caches (based on GPS) on gc.com

How do I do that? I can sort my data via GPS, but it don't pull from GC.com, just what I already have loaded...

The Steaks

Recent versions of CacheBerry have the ability to show the nearest caches (based on GPS) on gc.com

How do I do that? I can sort my data via GPS, but it don't pull from GC.com, just what I already have loaded...

The Steaks

CacheBerry v2 (released today) has a Geocaching compass, open that view (from cache details) and once you have a location fix select "Web Search" from the menu.

How likely is it that Groundspeak will produce a Blackberry specific geocaching app? I could code it myself if the interfaces were exposed and/or documented somewhere.

Saw the iPhone GC app today. Wow, looks and works great. It's real time. I like CacheBerry and don't want to slam the developer but it seems that Groundspeak has one upped CacheBerry with their iPhone app. Why do they leave the 'Berry world out? Seems kind of snobby. I think there are as many 'Berrys out there as iPhones.

Just MHO.