Mapsource limits mapsets to 4GB

I'm trying to upload maps to my Oregon 300. I've got topo maps for all the US, CN NA, Metroguide Europe, and some 3rd party Germany topo. The problem I'm running into is that when I try to send the map data to my 8 GB SD card, mapsource will limit me to 4GB of data. So, I tried selecting all the maps on one or two products and sending them, then changing the name of the .img file on the SD card so I could upload the next 4GB of mapdata. The problem is, my Oregon 300 won't recognize the file unless it's named "gmapsupp.img". I have two sets of "gmapsupp.img" files saved on my GPS- one on the internal memory and one on the SD card that are readable. On the internal memory, there are other .img files (gmapbmap.img & gmaptz.img) that supply the basemaps.

My question is, are there any other .img file names that can be used on the SD card so that I can upload two mapsets (for a total sum file size greater than 4GB)? I've tried gmapsupp1.img, etc... but the Oregon 300 will only read the file specifically named "gmapsupp.img".

If there aren't any other file names that will work, does anyone know of a way to upload more than 4 GB of mapdata?

Thanks.

One problem.

Thelimit you are running into is the number of segments the maps contain - there is a limit to the number of segments per file.

So there's no way to have multiple files with different names? I understand that the files can't be larger than 4 GB, but are there different names for the files I could use to have two 4 GB files on 1 SD card? (and both readable by the Oregon)

On my Sd I have separate Garmin folders containing, maps, waypoints, pois, tracks.

Once I travel I rename the folder from the continent I'm traveling to.

Us-Garmin

Eu-Garmin

SeA-Garmin

Sd\Garmin\gmapsupp.img

Sd\Garmin\Gpx\mywaypoints.gpx + all the .gpx tracks

Sd\Garmin\Poi\all the poi .gpi files

Edited by splashy

The problem isn't actually a fault of Garmin but actually with the FAT/FAT32 file system which has a maximum file size of 4gb.

Nearly all garmin devices will recognise 3 types of map files...... gmapbmap.img which is the basemap, gmapprom.img which is the built in map (300 doesnt have this file, however it will recognize it, on the 400t it would be the preloaded topo) and finally gmapsupp.img which is user added.

You could rename one of your gmapsupp.img files to gmapprom.img and make sure it is in the garmin folder of the gps, but unfortunately the 300 doesnt have very much internal memory. The only recognized .img file on the sd card is gmapsupp, not gmapprom.

The Oregon will only recognize gmapsupp.img on the SD card. In addition gmapprom and gmapbase work in internal memory.

4GB could a limitation on the handheld for a number of reasons, but as many people said the file system (FAT32) is probably likely one.

I do what splashy does, create a bunch of map files that I want to have available on the unit and swap names when I'm going someplace that requires a different map set.

Some Garmin devices will recognize the following file names for detail maps:

GMAPPROM.IMG - preloaded detail maps

GMAPSUPP.IMG - user-created detail maps

GMAPSUP1.IMG - user-created detail maps

1. If you already have a GMAPSUPP.IMG on the card skip to 2.

1a. Load a mapset onto the card. MapSource will name the file GMAPSUPP.IMG.

2. Rename that set to GMAPSUP1.IMG.

3. Load the second mapset onto the card. MapSource will name the file GMAPSUPP.IMG.

4. Don't rename it.

5. Try the Oregon and see if it recognizes both mapsets. Some devices do, some don't.

It's probably obvious but if you're going to try this test at home use small mapsets first so you won't be so upset if it doesn't work.

WHAT ARE THE LIMITS, REALLY??

Mapset Segment Count:

As far as I know the mapset limit is still 2025 map segments on most Garmin devices, regardless of filesize. (MapSource might not care but your device might choke anyway if there are too many segments.)

EDIT: to reflect information provided further down, Garmin's FAQ says that Oregon and Colorado can handle mapsets with at least 4000 map segments. There appears to be some evidence in the Garmin Colorado Wiki from actual use that supports the 4000 number. There is a higher number stated by one experimenter in that discussion but they did not bother to confirm that all of the segments were actually being displayed by the Colorado.

If you click to the "Maps" tab in MapSource as you're selecting map segments, you can see how many segments you have selected and the filesize (down near the bottom of the tab) before you transfer to the card.

Limits of FAT16/FAT32:

MapSource (actually, Windows) will absolutely limit the file size according to the following:

Volume (Disk) Size: FAT16 = 2GB ..... FAT32 = 32GB

File Size: FAT16 = 2GB ..... FAT32 = 4GB minus 2 bytes

So if your 8 GB card is formatted to FAT32 you can put 8GB of files on it but none of them can be larger than 4GB minus 2 bytes each.

It's a limit of the FAT16 and FAT32 specifications, not MapSource or the devices.

{rant warning}

It's too bad Garmin tech support isn't more technically knowledgeable. If you ask 4 different techs about the map size, file size or SD card limits, you'll likely get 9 different answers. Some might be technically correct. One or two might even be useful.

It's so simple. There are three different questions (mapset segment count limit, filesize limit and volume size limit) and one specific answer per question. It only gets complicated when you don't, first, understand that there are three different questions, not one. We users shouldn't need to know that when we ask the question. Tech support professionals are paid to understand the question properly so they can answer it properly.

{rant off}

...ken... {getting down off my soapbox now}

Edited by Ken in Regina

Ya, I believe g-o-cashers posted an official garmin comment that listed the segment maximums. 4096 rings a bell.... although I cannot recall what thread that was in. It seemed that it was total segments supported by the device and not just in a single map file. Basemap+preloaded map+user added map=max 4XXX

The segment limit is higher, though, for the Colorado and the Oregon. Somewhere around 4500 if I remember correctly.

That's a good piece of information to have. When the original poster is trying to build his mapsets, if he's going to try to go for the 4GB filesize limit of FAT32 it's probably still a good idea for him to monitor the number of segments as well as the filesize as he selects the map segments. Just to be sure he keeps both inside the limits.

...ken...

3. Load the second mapset onto the card. MapSource will name the file GMAPSUPP.IMG.

4. Don't rename it.

5. Try the Oregon and see if it recognizes both mapsets. Some devices do, some don't.

It's probably obvious but if you're going to try this test at home use small mapsets first so you won't be so upset if it doesn't work.

WHAT ARE THE LIMITS, REALLY??

Mapset Segment Count:

As far as I know the mapset limit is still 2025 map segments on most, if not all, Garmin devices, regardless of size. (MapSource might not care but your device might choke anyway if there are too many segments.)

If you click to the "Maps" tab in MapSource as you're selecting map segments, you can see how many segments you have selected and the filesize (down near the bottom of the tab) before you transfer to the card.

Limits of FAT16/FAT32:

MapSource (actually, Windows) will absolutely limit the file size according to the following:

Volume (Disk) Size: FAT16 = 2GB ..... FAT32 = 32GB

File Size: FAT16 = 2GB ..... FAT32 = 4GB minus 2 bytes

So if your 8 GB card is formatted to FAT32 you can put 8GB of files on it but none of them can be larger than 4GB minus 2 bytes each.

It's a limit of the FAT16 and FAT32 specifications, not MapSource or the devices.

{rant warning}

It's too bad Garmin tech support isn't more technically knowledgeable. If you ask 4 different techs about the map size, file size or SD card limits, you'll likely get 9 different answers. Some might be technically correct. One or two might even be useful.

It's so simple. There are three different questions (mapset segment count limit, filesize limit and volume size limit) and one specific answer per question. It only gets complicated when you don't, first, understand that there are three different questions, not one. We users shouldn't need to know that when we ask the question. Tech support professionals are paid to understand the question properly so they can answer it properly.

{rant off}

...ken... {getting down off my soapbox now}

Thanks everyone for the useful information. I tried renaming the file name to gmapsup1.img but the oregon didn't recognize it. I've already been renaming the files and putting them in different folders like a few other posters have suggested- guess that will have to be my work around for now.

I wish I had know about this problem before buying an 8GB card- I would have bought two 4 GB cards!

The segment limit is higher, though, for the Colorado and the Oregon. Somewhere around 4500 if I remember correctly.

That's a good piece of information to have. When the original poster is trying to build his mapsets, if he's going to try to go for the 4GB filesize limit of FAT32 it's probably still a good idea for him to monitor the number of segments as well as the filesize as he selects the map segments. Just to be sure he keeps both inside the limits.

...ken...

Garmin's FAQ claims the limit is 4000.

4. Don't rename it.

See my post above, the Oregon only supports gmapsupp.img on the SD card.