Help on upgrading gps

:blink:just wondering if any fellow cachers could help i have been caching fot about 5 years now and want to upgrade my magellan gps i have heard you can get ones now you can put os maps on so you can see where you at but to be honest i dont know what im looking for so kind of hopeing someone out there can point me in right direction :blink:

Dozens of options. We all use something different but our way is the best of course :blink:

Budget is important. Basic mapping GPS (Etrex Legend HC) about £136. Colorado or Oregon (fully paperless) £260 to £300.

Oregon supports OS maps but you have to buy them on SD card - you can't use Memory Map from your PC if you already have it. At the moment the OS maps available are limited to the National Parks. The normal 1:50 'Landranger' series aren't available.

All 'mapping' Garmin GPS's (includes the Legend mentioned above) support the UK topo maps - but they are expensive and nowhere near as detailed as OS maps. There are 'free' maps available which are not as detailed but do the job - and for nothing!

You can have OS maps on the Oregon or Colorado but only as an image file - it works!

PDA - I use a Mio P550 with Windows Mobile. Runs Memory Map OS maps loaded from my PC. Totally paperless. The current Mio P360 is about £160 or so I think (don't quote me). There are other PDA's out there that do the same thing. Disadvantage of a pda is the battery life - tends to be a few hours. The Garmin GPS's run for ages.

Finally there is the mobile phone option. iPhone has it's own application, other phones run Windows Mobile (like a PDA) and then there is the Blackberry.

There you go..... have a great evening thinking about it!

Chris (MrB)

i use a pda linked in to a bluetooth gps for paperless caching and loaded with memory map to provide the OS mapping

cheers for that what units would you recomend if i were to do same as you cant you tell im thick lol

its a holux gps with a ipaq 214 pda, i have just replaced a dell axim which has served well for a few years. both can be found on ebay.

the one down fall off the pda route is they are not waterproof, i overcome that by using an otter box to protect it

:blink:just wondering if any fellow cachers could help i have been caching fot about 5 years now and want to upgrade my magellan gps i have heard you can get ones now you can put os maps on so you can see where you at but to be honest i dont know what im looking for so kind of hopeing someone out there can point me in right direction :blink:

I have just bought a Colorado300 for paperless caching from Handtec (£256 delivered!!), using the free OpenStreetMap maps ( compiled by Talkytoaster ), and Garmin Topo2 and City Navigator NT.

I still use all three maps on my 60CSx too, but that doesnt have the paperless features of the Colorado. The jury is still out as to which one is better.. The 60Csx is easy to use, but the Colorado has some neat features..

I've considered getting a PDA to use with OS maps and the 60CSx, but went for the Colorado instead..

The Satmap 10 uses OS maps, but they aint cheap if you want decent coverage.

How much do you want to spend?

I have recently discovered the benefits of a Mio P550, picked it up off ebay for about £100 squidleys. You can get a P360 even cheaper. I run TomTom to get to the nearest parking then switch to MemoryMap and tap on the geocaching icon to show the web page and a small GPS Utility to follow the arrow to the cache. I used GSAK to provide a few tweaks which gave me completely paperless caching. It's even got room for games, MP3's and Videos on a 4gb SD card (not that I get any time for that). I had to spend a little extra for a aluminium hard case with neoprene lining to protect it more and just ordered a battery extender after advice on another thread which should cope with any battery issues. As MrB said ... OS mapping on other units only covers national parks wherea's I'm able to use all my existing maps (most of the SW) without purchaing updates.

Edited by Handsyhands

then switch to MemoryMap and tap on the geocaching icon to show the web page and a small GPS Utility to follow the arrow to the cache. ....... and just ordered a battery extender after advice on another thread which should cope with any battery issues.

Memory map has an arrow and distance facility, click and hold on the cache and select "Go To Mark" or something similar.

Have you more details about your battery extender - does it work? I'm after one for my PDA.

Regards,

Brian.

then switch to MemoryMap and tap on the geocaching icon to show the web page and a small GPS Utility to follow the arrow to the cache. ....... and just ordered a battery extender after advice on another thread which should cope with any battery issues.

Memory map has an arrow and distance facility, click and hold on the cache and select "Go To Mark" or something similar.

Have you more details about your battery extender - does it work? I'm after one for my PDA.

Regards,

Brian.

Yup you're right, I tried that but didn't get on too well with it, it's very basic but does the job. I tried a few others before settling with the Richesse one, it's also got radar and poi manager but best of all it's free!

Can't tell you much about the Extender yet as I only ordered it a couple of days ago. I was advised here and found a site that does them for the P550 in expensive posh version here or cheaper AA battery version here. I went for the cheaper version simply because I have loads of rechargeable batteries left over from when I carried half a dozen bits of kit around with me.