Buy 2nd Legend HCX or get a Garmin 60CSx

gdpsych

I'm currently using a Garmin Legend HCX and am very happy with it. I'm going to be passing it on to a family member and was wondering if the Garmin 60CSx is a good upgrade or should I just get another legend HCX. From what I have read I do not want a Delorme or at this time an Oregon or Colorado.

I'm currently using a Garmin Legend HCX and am very happy with it. I'm going to be passing it on to a family member and was wondering if the Garmin 60CSx is a good upgrade or should I just get another legend HCX. From what I have read I do not want a Delorme or at this time an Oregon or Colorado.

The Oregon's are a good strong unit, can store full information on caches, and even do simple logging right on the unit, no need to carry a separate PDA or printouts or anything else.

Why would you not want an Oregon (except for the price tag)?

I would agree about not buying a Colorado unless you get a real good price, there are a lot of indications that Garmin may phase this unit out early, so if thats true, software updates for it may not happen much longer.

Well if you are only considering these 2 I personally prefer the 60 over the HCX. again this is a preference thing. Buttons layout is my biggest like on the 60. I like the way it feels in the hand.

The 60CSx is a tried and true unit. Many still consider it the finest overall GPS unit on the market today.

Having said that, the Legend HCx is smaller and has most of the features of the 60CSx. Better price too - plus you already know how to use it.

However, niether are true paperless Geocaching units. A garmin Oregon 200 has everthing the Legend HCX offers plus touchscreen and full paperless capability and is on sale for only $249 after rebate via Amazon. That is only $60 more than the Legend. Think about it at least........

I have 2 Legends, a 60CSx and a StreetPilot 2820. If you are going to get a new GPSr, there is no question that the 60CSx is the best unit on the market. The Colorado and the Oregon are great if you want to have the paperless caching feature built into the GPSr itself. If you have a Palm (I use a Palm IIIxe) or other pocket pc or if you prefer to use the printouts then go with the 60CSx. My friends have the Oregon and love it, but I get better accuracy with the 60CSx because of the external quad-helix antenna. If you want the GPSr for accuracy then don't even think about it - get the 60CSx. For me, the accuracy while caching is more important than having the printouts on the same unit.

Edited by Techwiz

Thanks! I think I'll go with the 60CSX, accuracy and durability are my main priorities not paperless caching. My Legend has been through alot without failing and I was wondering if the 60CSX was just a flashy GPS or was worth the extra $. Thanks again.

My .02 worth:

I started off with a Garmin Legend (Black & White) and never had any problems with it, then I got the Legend HCx for Christmas and loved it. It was super accurate. But, it was stolen out of the back of my Jeep. I couldn't justify paying over $200 to replace it. So, I decided to buy the Oregon 200 for $30 more and I have loved it ever since. You do have to upgrade the software to 2.86 (I think it is still in Beta) and with it, it is just as accurate as my old Legend HCx or my friends 60CSx. It is almost always showing accuracy of 8ft. I've been told that my geocache hides are right on in accuracy. Plus, a touch screen is absolutely easy to use and Geocaching is a breeze without having to print anything to keep track of geocaches. The only thing that would make it better would be if it had an iPhone built-in. I already had Topo 2008 and have only loaded City Navigator 2008 on to it. I also downloaded the free Ibycus maps to it, but have not used them much. I have a total of 3.xx gig loaded on the microSD card that I bought for $5.00. It was the best deal at the time for $249.00.

Thanks! I think I'll go with the 60CSX, accuracy and durability are my main priorities not paperless caching. My Legend has been through alot without failing and I was wondering if the 60CSX was just a flashy GPS or was worth the extra $. Thanks again.

Edited by jeepdelfuego