Mapping choices

Biff0r

Hi fairly new to the sport/hobby, first few caches straight forward down towpaths next to canals etc. A few I have done have made me do a little more planning using a combination of google earth, GSAK to work out where to park and official footpaths.

I have also map source which is a very basic mapping program, looked into getting more maps but cant really see option for this, using a Garmin GPS60 at present. Lucky enough most caches looking for are near my home location so know how to get to area.

I have a OS map (physical paper) one 1:25 000 which is good for a fair few caches, but soon I will have to venture out my comfort zone to hunt the caches outside of known area. May be a costly hobby to buy maps for all areas I may be visiting.

I have also joined a premium member and downloaded all caches with 35 mile radius, and converted to tomtom poi files for my tomtom. This works but crude method, I am ex-military and always used route cards etc, hoping there may be a modern digital way of doing this. I current have at my disposal, Nokia 5800 (GPS and timble software), Ipaq pda and blue tooth gps (using cachemate at present to help keep costs down on wap downloads), Garmin GPS60 main GPS, even though the nokia 5800 has come in handy a fair few times.

Upgrade of GPS?

Different software for plotting routes? (map source I am sure can do this but the mapping view is very crude)

Thanks in advance

Biff0r

I tend to use the "Map It!" feature on the "my profile" page to find caches around where I'm looking, and then either my trusty OS map, or multimap.com

multimap.com gives you the option of an OS map overlay, so you can print pages from there :) then I'll either print off the cache pages, or write down relevant information in an A4 notepad

We use Memory-Map which is not necessarily a cheap option but it does exactly what we want: i.e. allows us to create routes (and route cards if we want) taking in as many caches as we like. If you have premium membership you can download PQs of the caches you want, then import them into M-Map as an overlay. You can then draw out your route and print an A4 map and a route card for your trip.

M-Map sell lots of different options including the UK National Parks (Lakes, Peaks, Snowdonia etc) and the Selections series allows you to have 2500, 5000 or 10,000 sq km areas of your choice. These are all in 1:25K and I think you can get the whole UK at 1:50k.

You may also be able to upload it to your PDA but I'm not sure as we don't do this, we just use it on the home PC.

HTH

If you are familiar with (and like) the OS paper maps then Memory Map on the PC is what you need (yes, bit pricey but worth it). These can be loaded onto your iPaq PDA but not onto your Garmin GPS. You can create routes/tracks and waypoints on Memory Map and transfer these both to the PDA and GPS. To manage the PQ you'll need a program such as GSAK (US$15) or one of several free similar programs (GSAK is more versatile). You can export your PQ from GSAK into a Memory Map overlay for the PC/PDA and a Cachemate database and a TomTom POI file so you basically have no excuse for not finding a cache again!

This is how I do it. There are other programs, free maps and different ways of doing the job. I'm sure you'll get some more advice soon! Best thing to do is look at all the options, decide on your budget and what you want to achieve.

Chris (MrB)

I posted the following on another topic earlier on, but it fits in well here too. As the resulting image is a JPEg, it should give you a map on a PDA or other JPEG supporting device.

I have found a way of putting Memory Map maps onto the Colorado, which can be used with the Image viewer. Obviously it won't plot your course on it, but it saves carrying a paper map with you.

Assuming you have MS Office 2007 (may work with another programme) - Basically, Select the area you want on Memory Map in the 'Print' option (use 200 + dots). When you select the Printer, export image to MS Office One Note. This will open up One Note with the Map on it. Now in One Note 'Select All' and 'Copy'.

Open up Windows Paint and 'Paste' the image in to it. You can now save it as a JPEG image with a name of your choice. I'd suggest now opening the saved image in a proper Photo editing program (I use Nero Photo Snap) where you can crop off the white bit at the bottom of the image left by One Note and improve the image with the various enhance options.

Save it again and then upload it to the Colorado/Oregon. Of course, when in Paint, you could also dab bits of 'paint' on to the map to mark where the caches are or draw your route etc. on to it.

I've done this a number of times now and the image comes up really well on the screen, especially when you zoom in.

Ok, it's a bit long winded, but if anyone knows a shorter version then please post it!

What a brilliant tip that was. Downloaded MWSnap, went to Memory Map where I had previously downloaded a csv file and had a circular series shown on the map, used MwSnap to capture as a JPEG and simply placed into profiles on the Oregon. Went to images selected the JPEG and then zoomed up and up and up, just brilliant, who needs a paper map of where you are intending to head to. I'm impressed! :blink::anitongue::anibad::anitongue: