Instanotify of new caches change

Raddad637

The instant notifications don't really give you too much information, by design, I think. About all you get is the GC code, Title and distance from your home coordinates.

The primary reason for the limited information is that GC wants the cacher to go to the cache page for any further information, partly so you'll see (or at least have the opportunity to see) any dangers or critical information in the description. Also, (and this is my cynical side) it increase the site hits.

Another possible reason is to limit the size of the text message as there seems to be limit of about 160 characters or so.

Additional information that people have asked for in these forums include the coordinates and the D/T ratings.

I agree. Having the hider's name and a link to their profile in the emails would be more useful than having the reviewer's name and a link to their profile in there IMHO. (not that I have anything against reviewers)

Edited by Yossarian

I agree. Having the hider's name and a link to their profile in the emails would be more useful than having the reviewer's name and a link to their profile in there. (not that I have anything against reviewers)

Good point. I wish I said that. The owner is more intersting than the reviewer! Knowing who placed it tells me more about the cache and I like to see if known cachers are placing things.

I also agree with Cache O'Plenty saying it is good to see the page "so you'll see (or at least have the opportunity to see) any dangers or critical information in the description."

The site doesn't need more hits. It's already bogged down enough often.

The next thing you know there would be folks complaining that a link to thier own player profile was included in the owner "find" log notifications.

They are closely tied together - in the case of a new cache email - the trigger to generate an email is a published log. In the case of an owner notification of a new log on one of thier hides - it is simply one of the other log types.

The next thing you know there would be folks complaining that a link to thier own player profile was included in the owner "find" log notifications.

They are closely tied together - in the case of a new cache email - the trigger to generate an email is a published log. In the case of an owner notification of a new log on one of thier hides - it is simply one of the other log types.

StarBrand is correct that all the email notifications are triggered when someone enters a log for a cache. The notifications all have the same format

This is an automated message from Geocaching For GCnnnnn: cache name (cache type)

distance from notify coordinates

person logged cache name (cache type) at date

Log Date: date

contents of log

Visit this log entry at the below address:

link to log

Visit cache type cache name

link to cache page

Profile for person making the log:

link to profile of logger

Type of notification:

link to notification, bookmark, watchlist

The red line only appears on instant notification and the blue lines do not appear on OWNER: notification, so it appears there is some capability to alter the message slightly depending on what kind of notification is sent.