Caching with the iphone.

Oh yeah, it is well used. I have an iPod Touch but wish Verizon could get the iPhone.

http://www.geocaching.com/iphone/

You are better off if you use the app, and yes you do have to use the app to find a cache with the phone. The iPod Touch will let you save caches to it, but you need a GPS with the Touch.

The app is nicely done but has some limitations that are due to limitations in the iPhone SDK. For example, you can't view nearby caches on a map within the application (you can view them as a list and then pick one to be displayed in Google maps outside the app) and you can't see your current location relative to nearby caches within the app. This will all change in June (or whenever Groundspeak updates the app) with the release of the iPhone 3.0 firmware, which removes these limitations.

Yes, and we're using the Geocaching App, iGeocacher, Geocaching Toolkit and MotionX GPS with it. There's also Geopher LIte which has gotten good reviews (and the price is awesome - $1.99).

Geocaching has been a bit too crashy for my taste so I stick with iGeocacher, which has the benefit of holding PQs - 2500 total. I bought mine at the Apple store here in town. But you can get them just about anywhere the Death Star retails.

I love it. Ol' battery chugging Maggie Magellan is still around but rarely used. I expect when hiking season ensues she'll come out to play. But for now the iPhone on it's own is an awesome tool.

Tony

oh, and to answer #2 - yes you will need internet connectivity to use the Geocaching app. But not iGeocacher, which gets its cache info from the uploaded PQs and/or manual input. BIG difference betwixt the two.

Edited by team_goobie

Hey James,

I've been using the iPhone for Geocaching for around three weeks now. I have the Geocaching application (the one advertised on the website) on my phone and the Motion X GPS another poster has mentioned. Initially I was just using the application and it works a treat. One poster has mentioned that the app takes you out of it's program and into googlemaps when you press 'map' which is true but this is a seamless process and then all you have to do is go back into the geocahing app and as long as you go back in within a few min it will take you right back to your last cache you were looking at.

I've found the built in compass handy and accurate most of the time. If you walk out of signal range it becomes jumpy and so I go onto googlemaps with the location pin in place and switch to the sat view. Ofc this is where having the iPhone with you is a real treat as you can see exactly what your looking at.

I downloaded the MotionX GPS just as an addidtion program to use as this has lots more info recording and gps type stuff on it but I would def recommend it just for the track recording on it. I will say though with the geo app and this running at the same time your phone batt with go down fair fast

One poster above has said they are gonna update the application soon with a built in map which sounds great as the list is not as useful as a map would be. Ofc you can update notes in the field and check recent finders too.

It's well worth the money imo :)

We've been using it for a bit to assist in geocaching. It doesn't replace true planning, as we ran into a spot not far from our home (about 20 miles east) that had no cell coverage at all; so we were caching blind. I find it a useful tool, but not a be all-end all :) The GPS isn't as accurate as a dedicated unit, so we stick with our other units. Still, it's a great app and we've decided it's pretty irreplaceable with us.

@James, I have a 3G iPhone and the Geocacher app and use it almost every time I go caching but not always to navigate to the cache.

I use it as an addition to a regular GPS to look up hints, log caches found/not found and things like. It's also very handy for finding caches when you didn't plan to specifically go caching and don't have your regular GPS with you.

One thing I've noticed is that the compass is a little slow to update, so when I'm within 100 feet, I'll slow down so the compass has time to update.

James - I used both the Groundspeak Geocaching app and Motion X app on my iPhone 3G. They work but as mentioned above they really suck the battery juice. Running both I get about 2.5 hours of battery life. This was the main issue for me.

Other than that issue I have to say they absolutely work. The accuracy probably isn't huge but it worked alright. I highly recommend Geocaching for getting info out in the field or storing it ahead of time. If you don't have a dedicated GPS it's enough to get you close. Motion X had some pretty cool navigation features I liked. A particular favorite of mine was getting a bearing and then navigating with my lensatic compass. Fun!

I'm a total geocaching noob but was able to get enough functionality out of the apps to start nailing some local caches right away. I just ordered a GPSr. That plus my iPhone and Geocacher app will be a great combination for me.

'I'm going to do a bigger post in the main forums but just wanted to say here that in regard to the Motion GPS X draining power I have had the same problems. I went for a walk upto Kinder Scout in the Pennines the other day and had the GPS tracking my course. After starting off with a full battery after 4 hours I was on 10% and having to switch it off before I'd finished.

Ofc if your using your phone as a main unit to geocache this leaves you a bit jiggered.

After a bit of digging around I found a lovely little battery pack called the Power Pack pro made by Nexus. Its light and I can now walk around for days in the hills with no power problems. I'll do some field testing and do a better post on the main forums

My biggest concern with using my iphone for geocaching is the receiver accuracy. I haven't played around very much with using the iphone but may give it a whirl one of these days. I like the paperless way i've got my nuvi set up but if the iphone provided the same functionality, I would enjoy that. However, the little that I've played with the integrated GPS, I have found accuracies in the hundreds of feet rather than the 10s that I would like to see. When looking for an itty bitty cache, it would be nice to not have a search radius of 100'. Can anyone who uses the iphone or iphone and dedicate receiver comment on their experience with accuracy issues?

The app is nicely done but has some limitations that are due to limitations in the iPhone SDK. For example, you can't view nearby caches on a map within the application (you can view them as a list and then pick one to be displayed in Google maps outside the app) and you can't see your current location relative to nearby caches within the app.

I just got my iphone about three days ago and i too wanted to look at all cache's on the map and after some looking around i found that you could go into any of the locally found caches (from the geocaching app on the iphone) and down the bottom it gives you the option to "Cache on Geocaching.com" and when you click on it it brings you to the regular computer page and all you do is sign in and then click on the "map it" link in your profile and the map that your looking for comes up with all the cache's on it.

I am still in the process of how good it will work in the field but with that map it link i now can be routed to anywhere i see a cache on it......... oh and the hints are on there too.

Hope this helps

Joe :ph34r:

I would not go on a planned outing without my GPS. However, for spur of the moment caching, i.e. when I don't have my GPS, the iPhone is adequate.

I also would not go caching without my iPhone for on the spot information. I can get the difficulty, terrain and size. I can get the cache description and recent logs. And, I can get both a map and satellite image of where the cache is. This is very helpful in urban caching.

I could do most of those things on paper before I go out, but I don't like having to print the pages as that limits where I can go when I go out.

I would not go on a planned outing without my GPS. However, for spur of the moment caching, i.e. when I don't have my GPS, the iPhone is adequate.

I also would not go caching without my iPhone for on the spot information. I can get the difficulty, terrain and size. I can get the cache description and recent logs. And, I can get both a map and satellite image of where the cache is. This is very helpful in urban caching.

I could do most of those things on paper before I go out, but I don't like having to print the pages as that limits where I can go when I go out.

for the short time i've had my iphone your post seems to be very accurate....can't beat it for paperless capabilities(and all the other cool apps that are available) wherever i am i just "search to find" and there they all are at your fingertips..... my first encounter was accuracy within 100ft as opposed to my vista hcx accuracy of 20 feet..... I'm sure i did something wrong as alot of the posters go right to GZ

Joe

Yawppy Iphone App Review

The Iphone as far as I know is exclusive via At&T (Cingular) I love the Iphone. I have tried just about all the apps in regards to Caching. Above link is my personal reviews of those apps.

I have hunted down caches via the iphone, but still primarily use the GPS'r. The I phone thus far I have had no connectivity issues. You have Edge, 3G, and WIFI.

There are several times the Iphone has thwarted a DNF for me, with sat pics, and instant info, it is a great caching tool. However it is also the most fragile. I am always worried of losing it, or damaging it. I went with a hard shell case, for caching purposes.

They have apps, which will e-mail your location, which I use extensively, not just to update the outside world of my location in case of EMC's, but also to pinpoint possible cache hide spots, or for a slide show, Earthscape is the app to use for this, GPS ALLY is also great to have.

GC Buddy is another cool app for multi and "?" caches, as well as to help keep track of my cache hide data.

I have also learned of several apps that work great in solving "?" caches. The possibilities are endless

Ok well I could go on, and on. With the many uses, whew! But the bottom line is.. if you can get an Iphone...grab it. It is a great tool, it does not replace the GPS'r, but you will have additional information, less need for PQ's, and BETTER communication to the world.