signature item collections

amianda

In the various threads discussing whether sigitems should be considered on the same level as signing the log book, several people have mentioned that they collect signature items.

That sounds cool! But I have limited space. I was wondering how people manage, organize, display, or keep their collections. Trying to find ideas here, so even if you don't collect sigitems but have other collections, feel free to suggest something.

Thanks!

Since many people are leaving things like wooden nickels/poker scips/trading cards it can be very easy to keep your collection in a large binder. If you have a tight limit on space, you can limit the kind of item you collect. I have hundreds of sigitems, and they all fit in a 2.5 inch zippered binder, and a plastic box(about the size of a larger "regular" Cache). You can find the pages for the binder that are made to hold thinks like photos, business cards, and slides. most sigitems will fit in one of these.

Of the few I've seen at events & a couple in online 'collection' photos, folks seem to favor 3-ring binders with those pages of 'pockets' like for collecting sports trading cards, also for photographic slide-holders for smaller items like coins, stamps & wooden nickels, etc. I think the 'card pockets' version is so popular because they're so readily available, eg at WalMarts everywhere.

For the 'old salts' who've been at it for years, some of the collections can be quite impressive - almost make ya wish you had one too! But it must've been a lot more popular some time ago - I honestly can't recall seeing more'n 2 or 3 real 'SIG Items' in caches I've visited around here.

~*

There's another thread on here somewhere that has people posting photos of their signature items. One guy on there got me totally hooked on resin filled bottle caps that you decorate however you want to. I'm currently obsessed! I don't know that I will do it for a sig item because I don't seem many sig items around here, but they're really cool so I might just do some for me! The first batch, poured today, turned out so-so. If I see some sig items, I'm going to start collecting. They're mini pieces of art to me.

Come on So FL! Make some art!

There's another thread on here somewhere that has people posting photos of their signature items. One guy on there got me totally hooked on resin filled bottle caps that you decorate however you want to. I'm currently obsessed! I don't know that I will do it for a sig item because I don't seem many sig items around here, but they're really cool so I might just do some for me! The first batch, poured today, turned out so-so. If I see some sig items, I'm going to start collecting. They're mini pieces of art to me.

Come on So FL! Make some art!

Perhaps if you start putting out your own sig items, it will inspire and encourage other to do so as well. :) Lead by example! :P

Thanks for posting your ideas and pictures. I'm excited to try to find some SigItems now :)

You'll probably find that the only people really interested in seeing your collection will be other geocachers, so having a binder/box/jug makes them portable, and you can show them off at Events. You'll ususlly see a few people poring over an album when you get to an Event. You could attach a TB to your album so that anyone who looks through it can post a log as well.