Buying my first GPS. Oregon or Colorado?

slashink

Hello!

I am going to buy my first GPS and need some help deciding. I am standing between the Colorado 300 or the Oregon 300.

They cost Exactly as much here in Sweden, it's the same price for them both so the price is not a factor in this.

I plan to use it when biking, for logging my routes and measuring the time and speed it took and geocaching of course. A secondary use may be as a driving navigator but i don't drive too often. I borrowed a freind's GPSMAP 60CSx when i was out biking once and it was fantastic, with height meter and things. Can the oregon/colorado do this to?

But as i mentioned, they are priced the same in Sweden and i am facing the choice. My first impression was that the Colorado was far superior, but when checking it out more detailed i found that they are mostly equal. Can someone update me with the main feature differences (except the touchscreen vs the wheel).

Can some with more skill give me a good advice over which to choose?

I second Tequila here. Get the Oregon. I have heard way too many rumors that Garmin is dropping support for the Colorado, plus if you do a search on these boards you will find that many users have had problems with them (to be fair, some really love them as well). If you do decide you are leaning to the Colorado, it would pay to investigate these issues to make sure you can live with it if they are true.

I have an Oregon and LOVE it. It's the best geocaching device I have ever used, and with City Nav NT installed, it makes a great auto gps. I have nothing but good things to say about it, as I've not found anything I don't like about it yet. I love the touchscreen, and the touchscreen really has advantages when panning and scrolling on a map.

Email me if you'd like more feedback on this device.

BlueDamsel

As a Colorado owner, I would not advise anyone to get it for geocaching. Yes, it is nice to have the logs and hints but to remove them from your GPS or card once you have found the caches is a hassle, if not impossible. I love it for lots of other uses but not for geocaching.

As a Colorado owner, I would not advise anyone to get it for geocaching. Yes, it is nice to have the logs and hints but to remove them from your GPS or card once you have found the caches is a hassle, if not impossible. I love it for lots of other uses but not for geocaching.

Actually it is very easy - mark them as found - you won't see them in geocaching searches again. Next time you go caching load up a fresh PQ and the old ones are gone. Odd comment.

I love my Colorado and find it to be very reliable- especially in tough conditions. However, I also own an Oregon 200 and I find it overall easier to use.

Actually it is very easy - mark them as found - you won't see them in geocaching searches again. Next time you go caching load up a fresh PQ and the old ones are gone. Odd comment.

I love my Colorado and find it to be very reliable- especially in tough conditions. However, I also own an Oregon 200 and I find it overall easier to use.

Guess I need to update my previous reply as it has died on me. It will not power up beyond the "Loading maps" display and dimly powers down, and that is with batteries and on external power. Needless to say, I am not happy with it and will not be getting another Colorado. :o

I've never really used eier unit, but keep in mind that many people have complained that the touchscreen on the Oregon tends to wash out and be harder to read in direct sunlight. I've noticed this on both my car GPS units (Garmin Streetpilot c210 and Navigon 2100) as well as on my PDA (Dell Axim). So, if you can before you buy, try each one outdoors in direct sunlight and see if that's a problem for you.

I did own a colo, after 5 months I was lucky I could exchange it for a oregon.

There's nothing wrong with the touchscreen unless you apply the wrong screencover, visibility is about 10-15% less then colo but the ease of use is ALOT better, having a screen keyboard makes input a dream.

The fiddling on the colo with the r+r wheel and 2 small knobs are very annoying after some time, the device is not stable, some people changed 5 times the device.

In Sweden the price might be the same, in the Us they are dumping the colo and it really looks like the end for colo.

The mistakes in the colo are mostly corrected in the ore.

On the bike you have the angle issue with all/most screens.

If you decide for colorado, ask your dealer if they replace or change (oregon) the unit in case of soft- hardware problems.