Orgen 400t vs. colorado 400t

DK Dogs

I am thinking about getting the Orgen 400t but the price is much less for the Colorado 400t. Since I am fairly new to GPSr can someone dumb down the differences between them? I know one is touch screen and one is not but what else is there? My main use is for Geocaching and metal detecing. I would be using the unit about 20 hours a week. Looks like there is a $50 rebate on the Oregon for the next 10 days so I need to decide soon.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by DK Dogs

I am thinking about getting the Orgen 400t but the price is much less for the Colorado 400t. Since I am fairly new to GPSr can someone dumb down the differences between them? I know one is touch screen and one is not but what else is there? My main use is for Geocaching and metal detecing. I would be using the unit about 20 hours a week. Looks like there is a $50 rebate on both units for the next 10 days so I need to decide soon.

Thanks,

Dave

Forget that the Colorado even exists. If it comes down to one or the other for you, go with the Oregon. The Colorado seems to have been abandoned by Garmin as far as fixing any of the known issues. Also, most of us have found the scroll wheel to be very awkward to use. I think you'll pretty much find a concensus here for the Oregon.

Oregon - touch screen, internal antenna, interface is different, includes track manager.

Colorado - Rock-n-Roller, stub antenna,

I have an Oregon 200 and a Colorado 300 - I find the Oregon a bit easier to use over all but I like the solid feel of the Colorado and must admit the colorado holds sat lock better in tough conditions.

I prefer the Colorado to the Oregon. I've never owned the Oregon, but I have used one and several of my friends have them. My Colorado is one of the few that has proven to be stable. I just don't care much for the Oregon's touch screen. No matter which one you get be prepared to use plenty of batteries. I'd highly recommend an external power source if using either of them for 20 hours per day.

Sorry! I misread your post to be 20 hours per day and not 20 hours per week, but you will still need plenty of batteries either way.

Edited by RonFisk

I am thinking about getting the Orgen 400t but the price is much less for the Colorado 400t. Since I am fairly new to GPSr can someone dumb down the differences between them? I know one is touch screen and one is not but what else is there? My main use is for Geocaching and metal detecing. I would be using the unit about 20 hours a week. Looks like there is a $50 rebate on both units for the next 10 days so I need to decide soon.

Thanks,

Dave

Forget that the Colorado even exists. If it comes down to one or the other for you, go with the Oregon. The Colorado seems to have been abandoned by Garmin as far as fixing any of the known issues. Also, most of us have found the scroll wheel to be very awkward to use. I think you'll pretty much find a concensus here for the Oregon.

I second that. On Amazon the price is $461 for the ORegon 400t vs $379.99 for the Colorado 400t. that is $81.00 difference. There is a $50 Mail in Rebate o the Oregon starting TODAY 2/27/09 through Garmin...so that makes it a $31.00 difference. You decide. I have the Oregon 400t...tried/demo'd the Colorado 400c...the wheel would drive me batty. GO OR! I love it. FYI..I came frrom using a 60CSX...and was nervous...but now am 100% sure I made the right call inm the switch. :D

I prefer the Colorado to the Oregon. I've never owned the Oregon, but I have used one and several of my friends have them. My Colorado is one of the few that has proven to be stable. I just don't care much for the Oregon's touch screen. No matter which one you get be prepared to use plenty of batteries. I'd highly recommend an external power source if using either of them for 20 hours per day

I'm just the opposite. I love the touchscreen. I own several touchscreen devices and they are really easy to use. I've had problems with physical buttons actually falling off a previous GPS device so they aren't any more fail proof than a touchscreen. But, you'd be wise to check out touchscreen vs. buttons side by side at a store since this seems to be a very personal decision (you either love touchsreens, or you don't, you either love the rock n roller or you don't). There are several advantages to a touchscreen: it's good for left handers, of which I'm one, it is easy to operate one-handed, map scrolling is so slick, plus you can select cache icons on the map with just a touch and the info window pops up, allowing you to do an immediate go-to if you decide to change caching destinations on the fly... plus the main advantage to the Oregon (and I don't know if Colorado has this or not) is the profile system. Basically you can set up different profiles for different uses on the same device, allowing you to change multiple settings with the touch of one button. This makes it an ideal device for switching from auto-routing to off-road use with a minimum of effort and time.

I've really fallen in love with my Oregon. I haven't had any accuracy issues with mine, and it's definitely more accurate than either of my other two GPS units.

I have heard of stability issues with the Colorado. I don't have first hand knowledge of this, but you'd be wise to read up on it before buying and make sure it won't be a problem for you.

And agreed with this poster... you will need NiMH rechargeable batteries and a car power adapter to see good economical battery life with either unit. But, with those additions, you can't beat them for paperless geocaching.

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel

Thanks,

Dave

I second that. On Amazon the price is $461 for the ORegon 400t vs $379.99 for the Colorado 400t. that is $81.00 difference. There is a $50 Mail in Rebate o the Oregon starting TODAY 2/27/09 through Garmin...so that makes it a $31.00 difference. You decide. I have the Oregon 400t...tried/demo'd the Colorado 400c...the wheel would drive me batty. GO OR! I love it. FYI..I came frrom using a 60CSX...and was nervous...but now am 100% sure I made the right call inm the switch. :D

I third it. Colorado is a state. Oregon is a GPS.

Edited by Tequila

Go somewhere where you can operate and hold them each in your hand (BestBuy, etc.). That's the best way to see which you'd prefer for fit and ease of operation. Read threads on firmware updates to see what users of each are currently griping about.

I had an Oregon200 and now have a Oregon400T. No issues for me. I'm pretty happy coming from my old Garmin GPSIII+.

Thanks,

Dave

Forget that the Colorado even exists. If it comes down to one or the other for you, go with the Oregon. ...

Agreed. The Oregon can fix it's problems. The Colorado will at best be a compromise. If they dial it in for one group of folks they will make it worse for all the rest. There are just too many limits to the means of input to accomplish anything else. If you happen to be the one they 'dial it in' for. Great. You just can't bank on that unless you can hold the thing and use it to see if it works the way you want.

Both are fine units-it is a personal preference thing. My preference is the CO and I love it. I have compared the OR/CO side by side many times and the CO has also been significantly easier to see. That is why it is my preference. So you can get a touch screen or a screen that is easier to see. I think people should look at the CO/OR side by side OUTSIDE before making your decsion.

One of the things I like the most about the CO is the Rock N Roller. I have used numerous Garmins and the CO's Rock N Roller is nothing like any other Garmin. So it take a little while to get used to it. But once you do, it is SO nice and EASY to use. I have had lots of different GPSs and the CO is by far the easiest one to operate I ever used. The OR is easier to enter data, but the CO is easier to operate IMHO.