Now confused even more

OK here it goes. I have never even used a GPSr before and was thinking about getting a little exercise and doing some caching. I did a little research and found the Garmin 60CSX then the Colorado then the Oregon. I had my mind all set on the Oregon 300 with city nav and topo maps. I wanted to purchase these all seperate because I have heard you can actually get more storage on the unit itself and the TOPO disk part can give you more POI in addition to have the info on your computer too. With that said I would have to load just certain secgments of each part of the USA on the unit at one time. No problem with that as I very rarely travel far from the mid west. If I did I could just load up more maps on another disk of where I was going.

Here where the problem starts. As you can see I had my mind set on that unit even though I know there were a few things I wanted changed for my preference, but it doesn't seem to be happening with that unit. I then came across the DeLorme PN-40 which is a great unit, but I don't think that will be the best fit. Now I have done some research on the Lowrance Endura Sierra. This seems to be the cats meow of units coming out. I can have what looks like all the maps and features I want with turn by turn nav all on the unit already, and its cheaper. This unit has 4GB on the unit itself and you can put a 32GB card in it. Other units only have 1GB on them and can only except 4GB cards.

Heres the question for you all and I know I will get a lot of opinions and people with brand prefernce. I would like to know about service, updating, support, firm ware and anything else you want to chime in about on these units.

I hate to wait to May to get exercise, but I guess I can have a few beers to bulk up as I may need fat reserves to burn once I get it. Also want something upgradable and newest technology.

I have a colorado 300 and honestly at first I was unimpressed with it when I first got it. Once they came out with some updates I really started to like it more and more. I have had no urge to change units other than possibly to the pn-40 and that main push would be primarily for the satellite imagery on it. Other than that my colorado is great with being able to mark caches found/not found, reading descriptions and hints. I did a dumb thing when I first got it and accidentally erased the base maps. Garmin was kind enough to remote into it through my computer and fix it all back up for me. I have been incredibly happy with their service and quality of their products. I have never touched a Lowrance unit so I have no idea on them. Magellan had horrible customer service. I have talked to Delorme a few times and they seem very confident in their pn-40 and their service also seems to be quite good!

The Garmin Oregon is by far and away the easiest unit to learn to use and has the best out-of-the-box paperless Geocaching features. However it lacks some of the nicer features for backpacking that the 60CSx has. I like my Colorado a lot (especially the sensitivity of the unit) but have to admit that most 60CSx users find it to be a downgrade.

Lets face it - for overall GPS use - the 60 CSX is the tried and true leader. Driving, hiking and Geocaching. For specific Geocaching use, the Colorado and Oregon units have better features but lack a few things from the 60CSx.

The PN-40 has a lot of promise and is hands down the best unit if you are most interested in downloading and carrying a large amount of mapping information in the unit. I understand it can take up to the 16GB cards as well. However, it has a steep learning curve for most features and is (almost) but not quite there with the Geocaching features. But consider it.

The Garmin Oregon is by far and away the easiest unit to learn to use and has the best out-of-the-box paperless Geocaching features. However it lacks some of the nicer features for backpacking that the 60CSx has. I like my Colorado a lot (especially the sensitivity of the unit) but have to admit that most 60CSx users find it to be a downgrade.

Lets face it - for overall GPS use - the 60 CSX is the tried and true leader. Driving, hiking and Geocaching. For specific Geocaching use, the Colorado and Oregon units have better features but lack a few things from the 60CSx.

The PN-40 has a lot of promise and is hands down the best unit if you are most interested in downloading and carrying a large amount of mapping information in the unit. I understand it can take up to the 16GB cards as well. However, it has a steep learning curve for most features and is (almost) but not quite there with the Geocaching features. But consider it.

It'll hold a 32GB card.

A lot has changed in the last few weeks and days regarding the applicability of the comments above. Some are expressing the future is here and that the promise has been fulfilled regarding he geocacaching enhancements.

Check here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=215155

I just went from a 60CSX to an Oregon 400t. After all the whiney emails/reviews about the dim screen, the drift, the accuracy etc., I have to say loudly that I hvae had ZERO issue with anything I have done so far.

The accuracy, on an overcast, winter Michigan afternoon is 11-17ft.. It is the same as my 60CSX ever got. I am on v 2.8. So more upgrades may come soon under the beta 2.86. All the worry was for nothing. I did try the Colorado 400c at West Marine, to help me decide. I have to say, FOR ME, the rock and roll whell would drive me batty. For geocaching, the field notes, and upload is slick. It is nice, solid, bright when needed, saves on battery when you are not looking at it by dimming (and you can set the options on that). I do not regret it...and I was nervous. I was nervous because the 60CSX treated me right. It was accurate, and well built. I would reccomend either the 60CSX or the Oregon series.

WHO-DEY :D

I just went from a 60CSX to an Oregon 400t. After all the whiney emails/reviews about the dim screen, the drift, the accuracy etc., I have to say loudly that I hvae had ZERO issue with anything I have done so far.

The accuracy, on an overcast, winter Michigan afternoon is 11-17ft.. It is the same as my 60CSX ever got. I am on v 2.8. So more upgrades may come soon under the beta 2.86. All the worry was for nothing. I did try the Colorado 400c at West Marine, to help me decide. I have to say, FOR ME, the rock and roll whell would drive me batty. For geocaching, the field notes, and upload is slick. It is nice, solid, bright when needed, saves on battery when you are not looking at it by dimming (and you can set the options on that). I do not regret it...and I was nervous. I was nervous because the 60CSX treated me right. It was accurate, and well built. I would reccomend either the 60CSX or the Oregon series.

WHO-DEY :D

Yeah, this description is nearly identical to my experience with an Oregon. I love mine, and have not had accuracy or screen issues as some people report.

The paperless geocaching is the best out there, and since I use mine 80% for geocaching, that's a big deal. And I can't say enough good things about touchscreen operation. I thought it might have problems, but it doesn't.... and the pluses of a touchscreen are just too numerous to mention.

BlueDamsel

I have to agree with Starband. The 60csx is a real powerhouse. Only thing it really lacks is high resolution touch screen. If you put a high res touch screen on the 60csx you would be set.

I have the Oregon 300. I was a bit let down at first but have come to really enjoy it. It is incredibly easy to use, super fast to connect to satalites, and the touch screen is so nice.

Another great plus about Garmin is support. Their support is the best. You can get someone really quick and they really want to help.

I have had a magellan explorist 400 and I will not make that mistake again. Units are just a little sub par and support is in the toilet.

go with the Oregon IMHO

In this and similar "help me select a GPSr" threads, I'm perceiving two distinct sets of recommendations between the Garmin supporters and the DeLorme supporters.

One one hand, as posted above, the Garmin supporters recommend their favorite model without coalescing to a consensus on a particular agreement.

On the other hand, the DeLorme supporters seem to have a common opinion, if you are limited to $200 then go for the PN-20, otherwise the PN-40 is the wise choice.

Hopefully, this will not (and not my intention to :D ) provoke another us vs. them, my Ford is better than your Chevy conflagration. Just an observation on my part.

One one hand, as posted above, the Garmin supporters recommend their favorite model without coalescing to a consensus on a particular agreement.

On the other hand, the DeLorme supporters seem to have a common opinion, if you are limited to $200 then go for the PN-20, otherwise the PN-40 is the wise choice.

This might be because Garmin has so many really good models from which to choose, in all price ranges and several different configurations. This makes it easy for people to get a unit that applies to their needs. I actually bought a 60CSX after some stellar recommendations from several friends who all use them and love them, but sent it back and went to the Oregon because I just love touchscreens. There wasn't anything wrong with the 60CSX. It was a personal preference issue.

Not dissing the Delormes at all. They're a good unit from the research I did on them.

Is anyone familiar with the programs they are putting on the Lowrance Endura Sierra? I am leaning towards this unit as you can pick it up with all the programs on it for $430.00 shipped to my door. With the Oregon I would need to add Tops depending on which unit I get and then citynav after that with not much room for storage after that. Hate to talk myself out of the Oregon, but not sure I can pass on this unit. If the programs are lesser that might deter me.

Is anyone familiar with the programs they are putting on the Lowrance Endura Sierra? I am leaning towards this unit as you can pick it up with all the programs on it for $430.00 shipped to my door. With the Oregon I would need to add Tops depending on which unit I get and then citynav after that with not much room for storage after that. Hate to talk myself out of the Oregon, but not sure I can pass on this unit. If the programs are lesser that might deter me.

If maps and images are really really that important to you - then I'll have to recommend the Delorme units.

If ease of use and paperless geocaching are what you want - go with the Oregon. I know of very few fans of the Lowarence units - they exist but are few.

Until the reviews start coming in for the Endura units I wouldn't get one. I recall all the anticipation and hype around the Magellan Tritons and look what happened with those.

Lowrance does make some darn good GPS units in their iFinder series. But we won't know if they hit the mark with the Enduras until a few people get them in their hands.

i started with a Lowrance ifinder and hated it. it was slow and half the time would not lock on at all. got rid of it for a explorist210. it was a good unit and got me thru a 70 mile hike thru Yosemite. i tried to update it last week and it crashed on me. magellan is sending me a triton300 to replace it with and i am scared. i have read nothing good about this unit. i have been looking at the pn-40 and the gpsmap60csx. both seem to be very good and have great reviews. the pn-40 comes with maps tho. garmin charges extra and i have no clue about lowrance. hope this helps.

p.s. there is a ton of reviews out there, iread about 1000 this weekend for the garmin and delorme units