Whats your thoughts on this model

DK Dogs

Magellan® Triton 300 Handheld GPS Unit

They also have a 400 but I cant seem to figure out the differences in them?

I have a $75 gift card to Bass Pro and nothing sounds interesting to me except maybe a new unit. I dont have a ton of hours using a GPS and only use one for metal detecting and hiking. I want to get into this hobby and this model seems very easy to use..

I am open to your thoughts good or bad

Thanks

Dave

The triton has a horrible reputation for both operation and customer support issues. Steer clear of it.

Take a look at the DeLorme PN-40 - a bit complex to learn but a nice unit.

or

Any of the Garmin Units. The Garmin oregon has the best out-of-the-box paperless Geocaching feature of any unit out there.

Avoid the Triton or any Magellan. Even if it was the best unit ever made I wouldn't buy it because of Magellans horrible reputation for customer support. And the Triton isn't even close to being the best unit.

If you don't have a lot to spend consider a Garmin Venture HC or Legend HCX. If you have a bit more to spend then the Garmin Vista HCX, Map 60CSX, Map 76CSX and Oregon are nice choices.

The DeLorme PN40 is also pretty good but really not for beginner GPS users.

Edited by briansnat

I have a Triton 400 and it works great for me! I believe the only difference is that the 300 does not have a SD card slot. So you can't add a lot of maps; but with geocaching, you really don't need them unless you're deep in the woods. The Tritons are very easy to use.

I see people above me have suggested the DeLorme PN-40; I've seen posts on these forums that it has a very steep learning curve!

I also use a Triton 400. I heard that Magellan DOES have a non-existant costomer service department, but I have not yet had to use it. So far I have not had too many problems with my Triton, and have been able to figure it out without haveing to look at the owners manual. The display is small which is somewhat annoying when viewing the map screen, but I use the compas screen most of the time while caching. The buttons on this thing are VERY tiny, and sometimes difficult to push. THe goecaching feature (which is also on other GPSr's, but wasn't on my old one) is great because I can read the notes and hints in the field. All in all, I like my Triton, and it is working well for me and my family.