Removing Maps From My Garmin 60csx

UtahConcealer

So the GPS I bought from someone on Ebay (great transaction by the way) has a bunch of maps loaded onto the 128mb card that's in it. I have an awesome topo map that I want to put onto it in place of the maps that are on the card now. But I can't figure out how to erase them from the card!

Help please!!

Load the maps you want, it will replace what is on the card now.

Jim

So the GPS I bought from someone on Ebay (great transaction by the way) has a bunch of maps loaded onto the 128mb card that's in it. I have an awesome topo map that I want to put onto it in place of the maps that are on the card now. But I can't figure out how to erase them from the card!

Help please!!

Load the maps you want, it will replace what is on the card now.

Jim

Tried that and get the message "there was an error communicating w/ your device. Make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If this error continues to occur, you may need to restart your device."

Any ideas?

Since it tries to load, or partially loads before stopping, my guess is that the 128mb card isn't big enough for all the data you are trying to send to it.

I'd recommend at least a 1gig card.

I'd get a bigger card too (big box electronics stores have 1G, even 2G cards for $20 or so).

Optionally you can try creating a smaller mapset (i.e. just your State). In Mapsource you can create as many mapsets as you want and save them in a folder, then download the map you need before going out. Getting a bigger microSD card is probably easier.

I just looked - the uncompressed file size for the whole TopoUS2008 is about 3 gigs, so I would agree with the others that you ran out of memory space. I would guess other brands of topo maps would be comparable in size. Even with a 1 gig card, you would have to choose which part of the country you want loaded at any one time.

Since it tries to load, or partially loads before stopping, my guess is that the 128mb card isn't big enough for all the data you are trying to send to it.

I'd get a bigger card too (big box electronics stores have 1G, even 2G cards for $20 or so).

Optionally you can try creating a smaller mapset (i.e. just your State). In Mapsource you can create as many mapsets as you want and save them in a folder, then download the map you need before going out. Getting a bigger microSD card is probably easier.

It says my mapset I'm trying to load is only 39mb - I'm going to get a bigger card I think, but now it went through and said it loaded the data onto it but it's not on my GPS...

Help please!!

If I'm not mistaken, either from the GPS or from Mapsource, there should be an option to format the data card.

It says my mapset I'm trying to load is only 39mb - I'm going to get a bigger card I think, but now it went through and said it loaded the data onto it but it's not on my GPS...

How many map segments is it trying to send. There is a segment limit that's unrelated to overall file size.

Well I went to Staples today and picked up a PNY 4gb card w/ a SD adapter for $20. Was able to put WAY more than what I even need onto the gps any only took up 800mb.

Thanks for all your help everybody! So far this has been a great source of information and a great hobby for the family to enjoy.

Edited by UtahConcealer