Paperless Caching with a cell phone

vt-spike

I've just got a new cell phone and have been into putting new apps on it. It uses Java applications. I have been looking around for an app that would read gpx files. I don't have a data plan b/c I am too cheap so I can't just view the pages off the net. Does anyone know of a Java app that would work?

I've just got a new cell phone and have been into putting new apps on it. It uses Java applications. I have been looking around for an app that would read gpx files. I don't have a data plan b/c I am too cheap so I can't just view the pages off the net. Does anyone know of a Java app that would work?

Can't answer much with the information given, but if the phone uses windows mobile, there's a good chance CacheMate will work.

I use a Blackberry Pearl 8130 and use CacheBerry on it.

Both CacheMate and CacheBerry are good apps for paperless geocaching.

These are some good programs I guess, but none are JAVA or J2ME apps. I also use a JAVA based phone and I am still looking for something as well.

I would like to be able to get rid of one extra electronic device to wag around ie.(Palm IIIxe). Although not ready to ditch my 76s that still works fine in favor of an more expensive "all in one" device.

I currently have a data plan and use Opera mini 4.2 to save pages for viewing offline. This is mainly for new caches without having to run another query. But the Palm with Cachemate makes the process easier for now except for having to keep up with it.

For me I'm not going with the CO or OR until they have phone capabilities. :(

Imagine an affordable GPSr/cellphone/camera. It would have speech/autorouting, paperless, capable to log via uploadlog link on geocaching.com, touch screen w/stylus, Wifi, Quadband, 5MP minimum w/Zenon flash.....etc.

Come on people, this is not rocket surgery. :)

Anybody have first hand experience with any application that will allow me to download queries from Geocaching.com into a cellphone with Windows Mobile 6.1? Is it compatible with the Blackberry software used here? Cachemate perhaps? Just got an LG Incite... Thanks

I also own an LG Incite and I use BeeLineGPS (http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/) at the moment. I will probably end up using Garmin Mobile XT. Also, if you got your incite from ATT and not unlocked off the net you will need to run Fransen GPSGate to create a virtual port b/c ATT has the internal gps locked into just using their ATT Navigator service for $5 a month. But with GPSGate I am running Mobile XT, BeelineGPS, and the Wherigo player just fine on the Incite.

Can't answer much with the information given, but if the phone uses windows mobile, there's a good chance CacheMate will work.

I use a Blackberry Pearl 8130 and use CacheBerry on it.

Both CacheMate and CacheBerry are good apps for paperless geocaching.

I'm kind of bumming b/c one of my friends uses that and it works pretty awesome for him, but mine doesn't have windows mobile. It is Java based. Maybe if there is a Java program that makes it so I can read windows mobile?

I use Smart-GPX for paperless caching on my mobile phone. I can read all the information from the GPX files off-line and it also supports viewing of pictures along with Spoiler Sync. It's free! Works great for me! Check it out at www.smartcaching.de

I'm not sure I have a Symbian OS. It is a Java based phone. Does Smart-GPX need a data plan?

These are some good programs I guess, but none are JAVA or J2ME apps. I also use a JAVA based phone and I am still looking for something as well.

I would like to be able to get rid of one extra electronic device to wag around ie.(Palm IIIxe). Although not ready to ditch my 76s that still works fine in favor of an more expensive "all in one" device.

I currently have a data plan and use Opera mini 4.2 to save pages for viewing offline. This is mainly for new caches without having to run another query. But the Palm with Cachemate makes the process easier for now except for having to keep up with it.

For me I'm not going with the CO or OR until they have phone capabilities. B)

Imagine an affordable GPSr/cellphone/camera. It would have speech/autorouting, paperless, capable to log via uploadlog link on geocaching.com, touch screen w/stylus, Wifi, Quadband, 5MP minimum w/Zenon flash.....etc.

Come on people, this is not rocket surgery. :mad:

I have heard about the Opera Mini program before. Is it possible to save an HTML file from my pc to my phone and then view it later from opera without connecting to the net and being charged up the butt for data usage?

I have a HTC Touch with Windows Mobile and use Cachemate. It works just like a palm. I bought it for that reason. Also I do not have it hooked up to the internet.

All these suggestions would be great if I had a Windows OS but I unfortunately don't it just uses Java apps. There isn't a way to change it so I can use a windows OS or maybe a Java to Windows OS converter or something is there? I think I am probably going to have to find a Java based program somewhere but it is really tough to locate one.

I use Smart-GPX for paperless caching on my mobile phone. I can read all the information from the GPX files off-line and it also supports viewing of pictures along with Spoiler Sync. It's free! Works great for me! Check it out at www.smartcaching.de

I'm not sure I have a Symbian OS. It is a Java based phone. Does Smart-GPX need a data plan?

Smart-GPX works with Nokia 6630, 6680/6681/6682, N70/N72, N90, N71, N73, N80, N91, N93, Nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P990i, M600i, W960i, Motorola MOTORIZR Z8, Z10, Nokia Communicator 9500, 9300/9300i.

I'm using a Palm Treo 750 with a Nano belt clip GPS from QStarZ that replaced my Legend. Software on the phone is GeoScout 2.0.8 from navstation.uk. D/L's all info you wish from Geocaching.com in #'s and types you desire with maps, zoom, logs, hints, etc, as long as you have a data plan from your carrier. Absolutely love it for GCing as now I clip the nano GPS on my belt, head off with my Treo and BT via the GeoScout software right to the GZ for caches I'm looking for. BTDT with Palms, Etrex's, Cachemate, GSAK, etc.....All have their spot and followers, but for me, the PDA with WM6, a pocket GPS, and GeoScout 2.0.8 fill the bill and make caching a great sport. Not to mention that as new caches are posted, I can cache as I have time and opportunity with the nano GPS and the Treo (as long as there's cell service). Just MHO.