Keep found cache waypoints?

r1pilot

I am just getting started, and would like to know if it is good practice to keep found caches marked on your GPS, or delete them and keep a log elsewhere to avoid clutter on your screen?

Thanks

When you are starting it's not much to worry about, but when you start getting more finds then your GPSr will hold, then it's a problem. Depending on you model, you might be able to load found caches as POI's. Me, I have a DB in GSAK that lists all my finds - with field notes (such as intermediate waypoints, or puzzle solutions) - and don't worry about them on my GPSr.

Some waypoint's you may want to write down or keep in a seperate place for future referance in case you're thinking about hiding a cache sometime. I don't know if you've hidden anything or not. But if you have a multi nearby you will have to stear 528 feet from every stage in the multi. If you are thinking about hiding a cache in the area of another cache then it's easy to put in all the waypoint's as you scope out a hiding spot and then it's an easy way to know if you're far enough away instead of trying to remember where all the stage's are.

But I don't think I'd keep everything. Just in area's that are close to where I live so if I ever want to hide a cache, I can again just put in the waypoint's of all the caches there and can verify if I'm far enough away.

If your GPS has plenty of waypoint storage capacity, then no reason not keep them. They are helpful when you are trying to hide a cache. If you have limited waypoint capacity then no reason not to delete them.

I have a Garmin 60CSX and what I do is load all my found and owned caches as POIs. That way I can store hundreds, actually thousands of waypoints as POIs and when I'm looking to hide a cache I have all area caches, unfound, found and my own on the unit and don't have to worry about bumping into the .1 mile limit.

Before I had the 60CSX I had units that had 500 and 1,000 waypoint capacities so I would delete all found caches to make room for more unfound.

Edited by briansnat

I also have a GSAK DB of all my finds that includes puzzle solving info, intermediate waypoints, etc.

I export that waypoints to a Garmin POI File which allows me to have them on my GPS without cluttering my screen or using up the limited waypoint count.

Even if you don't put them on your GPS, there are lots of reasons to keep the info for future use. Helping someone else. Placing a new cache. etc.

I am just getting started, and would like to know if it is good practice to keep found caches marked on your GPS, or delete them and keep a log elsewhere to avoid clutter on your screen?

Thanks

You could pull them into GSAK or another GPS tool and keep them that way if you want to keep track of them.

Or, you could just download your "Found Caches PQ" when you want to review your finds.