New to Caching...

leo16

Hi,

I just recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 200, and I was refereed to this site via garmin.com. It sounds like fun. I plan on begginng tonight, but can someone tell me what I am getting into? What are some of the frequently used words, i.e muggles, FTF? Thanks.

What are some of the frequently used words, i.e muggles, FTF? Thanks.

Careful what you ask for!! :laughing::P:D

Here's a link to the Glossary, which is found on the Getting Started, Want to Learn More page: http://www.geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx There are other terms and phrases you might become familiar with when trying to find those well-hidden micros or bush-whacking through thorn bushes, but those can wait. :laughing:

Welcome to the game, and enjoy!

Nuvi series is a great starter GPS do to the price. It will work just fine in the beginning to see if you will stay with this fun. No sence in spending 300 plus dollars on something if you do not know if you will be in this for the long term.

I feel so funny looking for these things in public. Like I'm doing something wrong... funny really

Welcome and GL

As has been mentioned the Nuvi really isn't intended to be used as a handheld unit so you likely won't be very happy with it as a caching unit. I use a Garmin 76cs which is a few years old but I still manage to find most of the caches I hunt.

Take your time and read a lot before deciding which unit to use for caching if you really do get involved and choose to buy a handheld. If you do decide to buy another GPS I would urge you to check out the newer high sensitivity models. My 76cs is not one of these and it loses the sat signal pretty quickly in the woods around here (Seattle). Definitely makes some of the hunts a bit more challenging!

Well, I managed to find 4 caches last night. I imagine that is pretty good with a Garmin Nuvi 200, and it still keeps it challenging. I have to use the ol' noggin to figure out the clues and locations.

Cowles33: I know just what you mean. I am a cop. At 3:30 in the morning I have nothing to do, except business checks, and most of the caches are located right next to most of my businesses. On the plus side, this game get's me out of my car, and learning to look to different area's, area's where burglar's may hide. I feel kinda silly looking too.

I can't wait to catch someone hunting here in the near future. So far so good.

Edited by leo16

Well, I managed to find 4 caches last night. I imagine that is pretty good with a Garmin Nuvi 200, and it still keeps it challenging. I have to use the ol' noggin to figure out the clues and locations.

Cowles33: I know just what you mean. I am a cop. At 3:30 in the morning I have nothing to do, except business checks, and most of the caches are located right next to most of my businesses. On the plus side, this game get's me out of my car, and learning to look to different area's, area's where burglar's may hide. I feel kinda silly looking too.

I can't wait to catch someone hunting here in the near future. So far so good.

So....you're caching while on the clock?? On taxpayer's money?