HELP: How do I put it? THIS IS NOT A TREASURE CHEST!

Ambush Bug

Okay, am I the only one offended? The other things on that list no one will own up to, but I cache with my family and love it! We have 4 kids and they're in it for the hunt and the swag. I am only in it for the hunt. What do I need with a slinky? When we trade swag we only ever trade the same or up. Never down. We would never leave used ball point pens or some of the other dopey things mentioned here. If we don't have something worth trading, we don't trade, no matter how much a kid wants it. Your game is not being brought down just because there are families out there. :D

Come on are you really offended by a forum post? I have 6 kids and some like to cache with me. I have produced a DVD of me and some of my kids caching. The movie is traded into caches that we like.

Life is too short to be offended by that post. We know that some families are not very fair. I also have been known to get to the car and someone has an extra McToy. Oh crap. My feelings are that my trades make most caches better. I rarely want anything unless it is a sig item. I leave some pretty cool sig items myself. We almost always only trade new items. That being new in the package. You can really get good deals on items and possibly get nice items for .50 cents and they look like many $3-$5 items.

When caching with several kids one of the things you should try is to draw numbers and have only 1 or 2 kids trade at each cache. My children are used to sharing and taking turns.

Come on are you really offended by a forum post? I have 6 kids and some like to cache with me. I have produced a DVD of me and some of my kids caching. The movie is traded into caches that we like.

Life is too short to be offended by that post. We know that some families are not very fair. I also have been known to get to the car and someone has an extra McToy. Oh crap. My feelings are that my trades make most caches better. I rarely want anything unless it is a sig item. I leave some pretty cool sig items myself. We almost always only trade new items. That being new in the package. You can really get good deals on items and possibly get nice items for .50 cents and they look like many $3-$5 items.

When caching with several kids one of the things you should try is to draw numbers and have only 1 or 2 kids trade at each cache. My children are used to sharing and taking turns.

Okay, maybe not offended, but something. No biggie seriously. But we're the same way. Usually only one kid can trade so they know to take turns, too. We're also trying to teach them responsible caching along the way in case they decide to continue when they're older. No trampling plants, leave comparable trade items, be stealthy, ya de ya da. It's fuuuuun to cache with the kids! :D

Okay, maybe not offended, but something. No biggie seriously. But we're the same way. Usually only one kid can trade so they know to take turns, too. We're also trying to teach them responsible caching along the way in case they decide to continue when they're older. No trampling plants, leave comparable trade items, be stealthy, ya de ya da. It's fuuuuun to cache with the kids! :D

Good post. :D

There is a cache near me that request you not trade. The CO keeps it stocked with stuff for kids and each visiting child is allowed to take one item from the cache. The CO requests that you notify him if the number of items in the cache is getting low.

Other than signature items, sig cards mostly, I don't take anything from a cache. I leave a signature card and a new toy for a child. Usually a Hot Wheels, still in the box, or similar. Making the find is good enough for me and finding a coin or bug to log is extra. A co-worker told me that his kids stopped geocaching after he took them after too many micros, so I like to leave something to keep a child's interest up.

Neither I nor anyone else, to my best knowledge, has ever claimed that ALL families with children who geocache are guilty of the behaviors under discussion here. And, I accept and believe your assertion that your family, and your kids, would never engage in such behaviors.

But it is an undeniable fact -- whether you like it or not -- that a sizable majority of families with children do indeed engage in promiscuous, indiscriminate and profligate "trading down" or "trading junk" when geocaching. Further, it is simply a demonstrated fact that in caches which have extremely high Difficulty ratings or Terrain ratings, or both, and which therefore are almost never visited by families with children, the quality of swag tends remain very high, even across many years and many finds.

First, I...will eliminate 99% of geocachers...they ... cause ... problems):

How could you Vinny?

The group that you are planning to eliminate, the geocachers, are well spread amongst the general population so I presume you intend to kill most of the people in the world to ensure you reach them?

I will be happy to send you some swag if you will spare the world.

I have a good line on a spot to pick up used golf balls and you can get some nice ones if you have a snorkel and don't mind a few leeches.

I don't mind saving the world. :D

How could you Vinny?

The group that you are planning to eliminate, the geocachers, are well spread amongst the general population so I presume you intend to kill most of the people in the world to ensure you reach them?

I have a good line on a spot to pick up used golf balls and you can get some nice ones if you have a snorkel and don't mind a few leeches.

I don't mind saving the world. :D

Ahem..... You have, by skillfully eliminating all words exhibiting 9th degree and higher orthogonal confluence in my original post, been able to decrypt it and thus uncover one of the secret hidden messages within it. I am disappointed at this turn of events, but at least you did not play my post backward at 4X speed, which would have allowed you to decipher the primary hidden message contained within it, which is the most important one insofar as the upcoming takeover of earth by my friends in the New World Order and the conscription of all humans into slave labor camps located on a flat plain just outside of Denver International Airport (DIA), where the surviving humans will be forced to work 18 hours per day, under horrible conditions, to produce IPhones for the alien overlords and for their teenagers. So, I am grateful for small favors!

As for leeches, I love leeches, particularly wild leeches living in muddy ponds! I love it even better when they are attached to my skin! Will you please tell me where to find them? Thanks for doing the needful!

As for golf balls, please do not ever try to cut one open, no matter how old and cruddy-looking it is. You see, in order to give them the required amount of bounce, all golf balls contain, at their center, a small kernel of pure nuclear matter -- called "compressed supermatter" -- under extremely high pressure. If you cut into a golf ball deeply enough, you will cut the powerful subatomic rubber bands that hold the compressed supermatter confined to the center, and it will explode, destroying the entire world and killing everyone, even our beloved Alien Gray Overlords.

How could you Vinny?

I don't mind saving the world. ;)

Ahem..... You have, by skillfully eliminating all words exhibiting 9th degree and higher orthogonal confluence in my original post, been able to decrypt it and thus uncover one of the secret hidden messages within it. I am disappointed at this turn of events, but at least you did not play my post backward at 4X speed, which would have allowed you to decipher the primary hidden message contained within it, which is the most important one insofar as the upcoming takeover of earth by my friends in the New World Order and the conscription of all humans into slave labor camps located on a flat plain just outside of Denver International Airport (DIA), where the surviving humans will be forced to work 18 hours per day, under horrible conditions, to produce IPhones for the alien overlords and for their teenagers. So, I am grateful for small favors!

As for leeches, I love leeches, particularly wild leeches living in muddy ponds! I love it even better when they are attached to my skin! Will you please tell me where to find them? Thanks for doing the needful!

As for golf balls, please do not ever try to cut one open, no matter how old and cruddy-looking it is. You see, in order to give them the required amount of bounce, all golf balls contain, at their center, a small kernel of pure nuclear matter -- called "compressed supermatter" -- under extremely high pressure. If you cut into a golf ball deeply enough, you will cut the powerful subatomic rubber bands that hold the compressed supermatter confined to the center, and it will explode, destroying the entire world and killing everyone, even our beloved Alien Gray Overlords.

A burning city, a line of women in rags with dead babies. Part of an actual note written by a child interred in a Nazi death camp. An African woman in native garb, a blond girl with a Star of David on her chest and a bible in her hands, and a Native American woman lay dead in open coffins for your viewing pleasure. A military figure in a gas mask welding a sword and machine gun, looming over them all.

Welcome to Denver International Airport!

Oh did I forget the strange words on that floor that nobody will explain what they mean?

You know all the nasty places, don't you. :)

Okay, am I the only one offended? The other things on that list no one will own up to, but I cache with my family and love it! We have 4 kids and they're in it for the hunt and the swag. I am only in it for the hunt. What do I need with a slinky? When we trade swag we only ever trade the same or up. Never down. We would never leave used ball point pens or some of the other dopey things mentioned here. If we don't have something worth trading, we don't trade, no matter how much a kid wants it. Your game is not being brought down just because there are families out there. B)

If you and yours don't trade down then you shouldn't be offended by what was posted or what I am about to post. You say your not into it for the swag but the kids are so as parents, are you monitoring their trades?

In the caches we have been finding, I would say either the parents don't care and don't monitor the trades (are they the underbellies of humanity as referenced somewhere in a forum I read today?) because so far nearly all the caches we have been to have the junky garbage in them. A used crayon, spent shotgun shell, torn barbie clothes, smashed Quaker granola bar, a broken pencil, a film cannister with no lid.

I am not saying the families are bringing the caches down, I am saying that parent's not monitoring their children's trades are!