Cache per State

Geo Jeff

some of your math seems strange

look at district of columbia

there are 91 caches hidden and there are 1,338 caches in a 1000 mile area

Thanks for checking on me, but I think the math is correct. There are 91 caches in DC, and the area is 68 square miles. so that is 91/68 or 1.338 caches per square mile. So if you had that density in 1,000 square miles, that would be 1338 caches per 1000 square miles.

Geo Jeff

(leave more than you take)

That is crazy! I wish we could get a rough estimate on how many geocachers reside in each state.

I am assuming that information would be available in the Groundspeak geocache database. With a few calculations one TPTB could probably determine a cache density compared to the number for geocachers (assuming everyone entered their home coordinates) for any location on earth.

some of your math seems strange

look at district of columbia

there are 91 caches hidden and there are 1,338 caches in a 1000 mile area

Thanks for checking on me, but I think the math is correct. There are 91 caches in DC, and the area is 68 square miles. so that is 91/68 or 1.338 caches per square mile. So if you had that density in 1,000 square miles, that would be 1338 caches per 1000 square miles.

Geo Jeff

(leave more than you take)

Very nice! I see you're an old timer, so you may or may not remember when Buxley's Maps had the same information. But they ran into an impasse with TPTB in early 2005, I think it was, and the information for geocaching.com is long gone from his website. And yes, your D.C. number is correct. Since almost all of them are virtuals, that's about the same number as it was 4 years ago. ;)