Logging Caches with Text Messages

vwaldoguy

Ok, so I have a question about logging caches in the field with Text Message, as indicated here: http://coord.info/textmark.aspx

When following this procedure, does this immediately log the cache, or does this method just place the log in the Field Notes "que", and sits there and waits until you go to the website to process the log?

For example, if I'm out caching and stumble on a FTF, but don't have plans to be back at my computer until I'm done for the day very late that night, could we use this TextMark method to send a quick FTF note from the field, which then gets posted onto the cache page immediately? Then, when I get back home, I'd edit the log to include all the juicy details. This would give the ability to immediately log a FTF in the field, and would then let other FTF hounds out there know that this one has already been found. Or, does this TextMark log just get put into the que, and doesn't get posted to the cache webpage until I manually convert the field note to a cache log?

Thanks,

Van

Edited by vwaldoguy

Thanks, I guess one could still use the WAP site to make logs, assuming they had internet access. Although, I only have the pay per use plan, but for a rare FTF, it might be worth it to get a short log up right immediately, and then edit the long when I got home.

Thanks,

Edited by vwaldoguy

Howdy all. Is anyone else having a problem with Coord.info messages not posting to Twitter? I'm successfully receiving confirmation from TextMarks when the messages post but they don't seem to be making it to Twitter. Just wondering if this might be due to a possible (yet another) change to Twitter's API?

Thx much! :ph34r:

Howdy all. Is anyone else having a problem with Coord.info messages not posting to Twitter? I'm successfully receiving confirmation from TextMarks when the messages post but they don't seem to be making it to Twitter. Just wondering if this might be due to a possible (yet another) change to Twitter's API?

Thx much! :unsure:

Same for me. Like you, I get the confirmation but nothing on Twitter. So I tried going to the geocaching sharing page to check on my twitter settings and it hasn't been available for two days now. wondering what's going on at Groundspeak.........

As noted, you could always use the WAP feature to go in and write a quick "Found it" note so people aren't rushing out to find it. But, then there are some that way till it's been logged online 2 or 3 times before they write their FTF log.

this is exactly what i did until they broke the WAP so it dont work with any of my cell phones (it did a year ago - but what ever they did in the last ver killed it with no reply from GC.com)

Has anyone had trouble setting up their Field Notes Account?

I've followed the instructions on the coord.info site, and I received my device identifier and password. But whenever I plug them into the "Link To Device" page on GC.com, I get the following error: "No Account was found with the information provided". I've tried several different times, always with the same result.

In the meantime, the TextMarks SMS tool is working fine for me. I even logged a find via 41411, and got a reply that the cache was logged in my field notes. Of course, when I go to my Field Notes, there's nothing there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

As noted, you could always use the WAP feature to go in and write a quick "Found it" note so people aren't rushing out to find it. But, then there are some that way till it's been logged online 2 or 3 times before they write their FTF log.

How does my logging it or not change someone else going to find it unless it is a DNF?

How does my logging it or not change someone else going to find it unless it is a DNF?

The OP wanted to know if caches logged through the SMS feature showed up directly on the cache page. That way they could let other FTFers know that the cache was found and not to rush out to try to get the FTF.

The SMS finds don't show up directly on the cache page, so I suggested that if they have WAP capabilities and want to let others know the cache was found, they could log it through the GC WAP site.