No More Virtual Caches?

MrD

Round and round we go, when we stop, no one knows! ;):)

Arguing this reminds me of the saying "never to wrestle with a pig in mud. You get dirty, and the pig likes it." I think there are some who ask the question in the forums ocassionall y for legitimate lreasons, because they are not aware of the reasons or want clarification. There are however a small handful that appear to be arguing for arguments sake accepting no reasons and offer a somewhat moving target.

Since it is just going in circles, kinda thought this thread would have been closed by now.

I visited the Waymarking page for the first time about 3 minutes ago. Pulled up the 25 closest ones to me which are within a radius of 5.4 miles. Of the 25, 8 have been visited. Tomorrow I could get 17 FTF's or go geocaching.. Think I'll stay on my side of the wall.

Just pulled up the waymarks near me. The two closest items I knew about since I have caches at those locations. But then I find out Mickey Mantle's grave is just 6 miles away. Never knew he was buried here. Awesome! If the waymarks near you suck, well, sorry about that. You could go out and enter some good ones, or just sit home and complain about it. ;)

I made no comment on the quality of the local Waymarks.. just that the concept hasn't grabbed my interest and apparently doesn't do much for others either since 17 of 25 nearby ones have gone totally unfound since they were listed, most of them over a year ago.

Edited by edscott

I visited the Waymarking page for the first time about 3 minutes ago. Pulled up the 25 closest ones to me which are within a radius of 5.4 miles. Of the 25, 8 have been visited. Tomorrow I could get 17 FTF's or go geocaching.. Think I'll stay on my side of the wall.

Just pulled up the waymarks near me. The two closest items I knew about since I have caches at those locations. But then I find out Mickey Mantle's grave is just 6 miles away. Never knew he was buried here. Awesome! If the waymarks near you suck, well, sorry about that. You could go out and enter some good ones, or just sit home and complain about it. ;)

I made no comment on the quality of the local Waymarks.. just that the concept hasn't grabbed my interest and apparently doesn't do much for others either since 17 of 25 nearby ones have gone totally unfound since they were listed, most of them over a year ago.

unfound? :)

You mean logged visits? :)

How many times were any of those waymarks viewed? :lol:

You'll need a different frame of mind to play a different game. You aren't finding anything in Waymarking. It's not hide & seek. It's sharing discoveries.

Almost all of the virtuals we have done were meant to bring us to a unique spot. You can make a pseudo virtual...! We have found unique spots, objects and such and used this technique. You can make it a puzzle cache. They have to go there, see something, come up with a number or answer (use your creativity) that is applied to figure out the coords to find the final which can just be a nearby cache! ;)

You'll need a different frame of mind to play a different game. You aren't finding anything in Waymarking. It's not hide & seek. It's sharing discoveries.

Based on what I'm seeing, no one is "seeking" any of the waymarks in my area. No one but a few out of towner's is "sharing" things about the area.

[

As I said - they are inconsistent. If we go back to that, virts, webcams, multis, mysteries, events, earthcaches, locationless, and any others which are not "traditionals" should go too.

You seem to be stuck in this black-and-white logic.

It only takes a slight adjustment to accept that the game is in transition. Things might appear to be inconsistent if you take a snapshot at one point in time and dwell on it but the game has an eight-year history that includes some experimentation and some corrections.

At this stage of the game's evolution we have grandfathered cache types that will eventually go away as their owners lose interest and we have earth and event caches that are allowed via special exemptions. This is not an unbearable situation.

In addition to container caches, we can enjoy whatever virtual/webcam caches we can find when we travel, take in events that sound interesting and visit or not, as we please, the multitude of earthcaches.

Why does it need to be any harder than that?

It only takes a slight adjustment to accept that the game is in transition.

The game is in transition OR the site who thinks they control the game? The reality is there are more users asking for virtuals than users asking for virtuals to go away. IF it were the game in transition, then the site should respond to user requests here to restore virtuals. Right now its the site that wants to force their view of how the game should be played.

I guess as long as Jeremy is still making a buck, there really isn't much concern about what the users want.

there are more users asking for virtuals than users asking for virtuals to go away

Ahh, of course, there are NO users asking for virtuals to go away, because they already have.

So there can only be users asking for them to come back.

Of course, when virtual caches were still being listed here, the forums were totally dominated by assorted angsty virtual threads:

;) why is this lame virt cluttering up my caching reality?

:) why is this unmaintained vacation virt blocking my real cache?

:) why won't the <insert pejorative here> reviewer publish my virt? s/he called my baby ugly! etc.......

Really, it was well worth staying out of the forums for all the virt whining - the current micro whining doesn't even come close.

If'n you want virts, either figure out the Waymarking site, figure out how to incorporate virt stages in physical caches, get into Wherigo, or go>>>somewhere else. Thanks.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

The game is in transition OR the site who thinks they control the game? The reality is there are more users asking for virtuals than users asking for virtuals to go away. IF it were the game in transition, then the site should respond to user requests here to restore virtuals. Right now its the site that wants to force their view of how the game should be played.

I guess as long as Jeremy is still making a buck, there really isn't much concern about what the users want.

The reality is that you see more users posting in these forums asking for virtuals than you see users posting in these forums asking for virtuals to go away.

My guess would be that is because the majority of forum users either (i) accept that there will be no more new Virtuals created and that Virtuals are (almost) dead, deceased and pushing up daisies or (ii) they aren't that bothered about them. Therefore they don't post. They certainly don't bother to post saying "Whopee! We got our way! Virtuals are no more." They just get on with playing the game the way it is now.

We've done quite a few of the Virtuals that are still around. There are enough about if you feel the need to get the icon. We will continue to actively seek them out in different areas until they fade away completely into the History of Geocaching. There are new things to hunt, discover, photograph, get the icon...

I believe this game is constantly in transition, evolving and creating...

MrsB ;)

Based on what I'm seeing, no one is "seeking" any of the waymarks in my area. No one but a few out of towner's is "sharing" things about the area.

Not sure what you are looking at. Your single waymark has had people post logs and has been viewed 36 times on-line, not bad for a bbq restaurant ;) As far as out of towners sharing, first what difference does it make whether the person is from your town or 1,000 miles away, and second if I used your waymark as the center point roughly 80% of the closest waymarks were placed by people in the Kansas City. (I don't view someone from a town 20 miles out as an out of towner, that would be like saying all mine in St. Louis are by an out of towner because I live 25 miles out of city) I also view being able to submit waymarks while traveling as an advantage (as evidenced by having waymarks in 46 states and 3 provinces) which was not allowed with virtual caches (and the OP seemed to really want the ability do something while he was traveling, now he can)

Edited by BruceS

You missed the venomous postings of 2002 and 2003 of the vile nature of virtuals.

Edited by BruceS

Let me be the first...

I want all virtuals, even the currently grandfathered ones, to go away! :D

While we're at it, since earthcaches are simply masquerading as virtuals, they should go away too! :D

Maybe I should start a new thread :(

As long as you remember to blame Groundspeak's president for all the ills of the world, including but not limited to virtuals being here, virtuals going away, Waymarking with its confusing complex labrynth-like design of categories, world hunger, the recession and the Smothers Brothers getting taken off the air. Why hasn't he bailed out the auto industry already with all the revenue from ad placements? There's a formula to those kinds of posts, you know. ;)

IF it were the game in transition, then the site should respond to user requests here to restore virtuals.

Transition does not mean that you get what you want.

Ah, that again. You reached the bottom drawer of the logic dresser quickly and found the most worn out insult of them all.

I want all virtuals, even the currently grandfathered ones, to go away!

While we're at it, since earthcaches are simply masquerading as virtuals, they should go away too!

Maybe I should start a new thread

I'll second that - and consider that each time someone starts a "bring back virtuals, why no more virtuals?" thread, someone else (I nominate you, Lil Devil) can start a "kill all virts" thread. I'm neutral, personally, on Earthcaches - but whatever floats your boat.