Re-visiting A Cache You've Found Before

I am planning on revisiting a cache that I found over a year ago. How should I log my visit? Should I log it as another find or should I simply post a note? Seems to me that it wouldn't be appropriate to log it as a find because then I could hypothetically inflate my stats by logging finds at the same cache over and over.

I should clarify that I am visiting the cache for the purpose of picking up a travel bug which I plan to move when I travel across the country this month.

So, I think I know the answer to this question, but I thought I would pose it to the community so that I can hear what others do in this situation. Thanks!

^^ What they said.

Post it as a note, that way your numbers will correctly indicate the number of individual caches found.

In these situations I usually post a note mentioning any trades and trackables I moved, and the general condition of the cache along with any maintenance performed.

In these situations I usually post a note mentioning any trades and trackables I moved, and the general condition of the cache along with any maintenance performed.

^This is the generally accepted practice.^

Occasionally, a cache has been significantly changed such that it will be like hunting a new cache to you...and some cachers feel this is justification to log it again. Sometimes the owner will so state that the cache has been re-hidden differently than before, and that re-logging is welcomed/encouraged.

I even once received a PM to this effect from a CO.

I would never consider logging a second find, however.

ONE WAYPOINT=ONE SMILIE :anibad:

It gets weird, though, when a cache is archived, and a 'new' cache 'hidden' at the same spot with the same old container and the same old logbook inside.

At the most, I would post a note, noting that I had previously logged a find on this cache, but visited it again today.

Of course, as others have noted, there are always exceptions, one of them being a case where a cache has been rendered more difficult or more of an adventure by its owner, where it might be perfectly okay, with the explicit permission of the owner, to log a second find if the new conditions were met. In fact, I did just that with one of my 5/5 Psycho Urban Caches, which was a multi-stage cache, several years ago -- in about the second month of its life, I added another stage, increasing the insanity of the adventure even more, and I gave permission to previous finders to log a new find on the cache if they revisited the cache site and completed the new route.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Of course, as others have noted, there are always exceptions, one of them being a case where a cache has been rendered more difficult or more of an adventure by its owner, where it might be perfectly okay, with the explicit permission of the owner, to log a second find if the new conditions were met.

I've seen some strange logging stuff out there and it's all dependent on the cache owner. I've seen some caches in the Las Vegas area where the cache owner will log a find when they go to one of their caches to do maintenance. In my opinion... that's very strange.

I agree with the others where a note would be appropriate. I've seen "bug drop", "bug retrieval" and "bug dip" (where the person is with someone else who hasn't found the cache yet and is dropping/retrieving a TB or coin just to get it some mileage before moving it along to a different cache).

I too had a cache with the same exact coords that I changed (contents and container) in honor of the passing of our longtime canine friend. Since the original cache hadn't been out there very long I posed the question to one of our reviewers. He suggested just changing the cache name and indicating to previous finders that it was OK to revisit and log again as a new find. That's what I did and all was well.