Making Coins Highly Desirable?

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I recently was informed that I've won a Coin which will now be among my most highly prized Coins(Mr.Jiffy's Summer Meltdown 2008). This Coin will be as valuable to me as any other special/rare/VHTF/old coins. My question is this...

What elements go into creating a NEW Coin that will make it as valuable as those most special coins that are on everyones seeking list? I can only imagine that this one would be sought by many collectors(no you can't have it). What are the things you look for in a coin that gives it GREAT VALUE? Have you ever designed a Coin with the intent to make it highly sought after?

Sure you don't want to trade?

I like coins that are just plain fun! The summermeltdown cointest was alot of fun, the coin would serve as a purpose to remind you of that fun. I know the birds of a feather coin I won in the magnetic pooetry cointest is sitting on a coinstand in the dining room and serves as a reminder of the fun had in the contest, not my answers only but responses by others some creativly ingeneous I thought, Including the announcments of the winners launching a new cointest.

I have two designs out to venders right now, one is a simple display type coin that will display itself, an approach I have not seen yet in a coin although I have had it laser cut and glass beaded with good results and some guys at work keep it on their desk.

The second is more on the line of a Kids coin that has a little of my prickly humor, and a new concept for coins that if made I hope will inspire others to add a little more humor.

Work and life can be serious so it is nice if coins are a diversion from that.

The serious artistic coins I think are wonderful too, especially those that follow the lines of the golden rectangle within their designs the angular symetry is soothing to the soul. I would that I had the artistic abilities as Tsun and others to create thing pleasurable to look at.

Even arpart from the initial design there are color coordinations that work extremly well visually such as AvroAir's new personal aviator watch with the lines and information seemingly laid out to perfection. Another good one is the multi colored birka that is detailed and coordinated.

Some coins are sought after because of the cacher they personalize such as Mouskakat suncatcher, while a nice coin on its own the personalization of the cacher makes it more.

I think there are elements in new coin creation that are new and unique that make the coin desirable, in this reguard we see the ten commandments and the new puzzle coin.

It is hard for me quantify all the things that go into making a successful coin as you can tell by just some of the examples.

These are just my thoughts on coins in general, as you can tell I pretty much like them all for various reasons, each has its own desirability but those that can combine the elements rise to the top.

There was an earlier thread (yesterday I think) where the OP was designing a coin and wanted to poll the forums for those qualities that would make it valuable. He thought scarcity would do it but when I think back at Tracking Time for example scarcity is hardly the issue (over 1000 TTs were minted).

Some designers have worked really hard to bring together those elements that have done well in past designs only to make a hash of things. What makes a masterpiece? I guess not trying to make a masterpiece is the first step. And the second is not trying to appeal to someone else's taste. There's no accounting for it, unless you have it yourself and then you only have to appeal to your own.

To your own self be true applies as much for geocoin designs as anything else.

I remember when SLOTREKKER handed his design idea to Castleman at a local event and feeling a good deal of admiration for Mark. A vibram sole with his name fashioned in the treads... simple and poignant to the type of cacher he is.

What is it about Team Alamo's 20K commemorative that inspires the imagination? Is it the chest full of coins or the effort and mania it takes to reach that high a number of cache finds? Or the humour of Kuntry Kashin or the playfulness of Dorkfish's designs or the attention to detail of Tsun's designs. Maybe it's the originality of the concept.... the newness of it that makes it so appealing.

Good luck in your effort.

It's not that I seek to create the next Prized coin. I have some ideas in the works, and will go forward with them because I like them and they represent me (for myself) I just thought about how happy I was to learn that I had won that coin, and how happy I was when I received a Motogrrl memorial Coin, and the Wishing Coin. Of course each person will have different Coins that are their most prized, I'm just curious what drives each person to fall for a particular coin.

What are the things you look for in a coin that gives it GREAT VALUE?

I look for elements that speak to me personally foremost as well as a well executed layout. Design is critical to me because I'll be looking at a coin for years to come. The story behind the coin can also be the deal maker because I might identify with the circumstances in some way. I like coins that teach me something new as well, whether it be technique or otherwise. :)

Have you ever designed a Coin with the intent to make it highly sought after?

Every time. However, I only do the designs so final numbers/metals/etc. have never been a real part of my control. I make suggestions, but that's about it and I'm probably lucky in that aspect. Less stress and more fun :)

Hmmm as Droo said, desirability is such a whimsical thing, that is hard to pin down.

For example many people desire the Yime (original), but I have no desire for it. I wanted a new golden Yime instead, which is not as highly prized in general as the v0, but to me, it is a thing of beauty.

I have many artist edition coins, which should all be rated the same desirability, but they arent. I have no idea why though. I suppose the coins have to be popular with the 'masses'.

Some of my favourite coins have been mass-produced, and aren't necessarily worth a great deal, but something about them just appeals to me - such as the South Pointing Chariot and the Alaskan coins.

And then of course there are the coins which are highly desirable to begin with then fade away to obscurity, and nobody wants them anymore. Geocoiners are fickle! :)

Over the months I have been asked by people who are newer to designing coins and a couple of seasoned designers; 'what do you know about the geocoin market, how come your designs are so popular, what are you doing different than everyone else, etc.' in regards to my designs. I don't say this to come off as arrogant or as a 'know it all' because I don't have the answer to these questions, as far as a concrete answer. What I can tell you is what I have told everyone else. If you want a design to do well, there is a very simple solution; "Design from the heart". If you give your everything (110%), your design will do very well. I have always considered every coin design I have done as 'giving a piece of myself' which may be my view of the world and Mother nature, what makes me happy, where I see beauty, my inspirations, and what makes my soul smile. This may seem hokey to some but I can tell you that people will look at your design and recognize a piece of themselves within it even if they can't put a name or a word to it. If you strive to give your all to it and give people some background to the design along with some room for their own interpretation, your design will do very well. Of course this is only my perception and experience.

Never design a coin with the intent to make it highly desirable, design it with your heart. The rest will fall in place.

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey