Dog's ashes returned home?

mishabear

My dog recently died and I had him cremated. We'd moved cross country and I'd like to get him back to Maine to be buried. I thought I'd basically make a travel bug of his urn and watch his progress east from the west coast in hopes someone would eventually bury him where I'd like (I'd place the coordinates on an engraved tag on the urn). The only problem I foresee is the size of the urn, about the size of a 1-liter soda bottle, maybe. I think it would be too large for most regular caches.

I know some people think carrying ashes is a bit gruesome but these aree dog's ashes, not human. Thoughts on this? I had thought of having parts of his ashes put into smaller tokens and each sent to Maine and elsewhere to different spots too...his favorite places we've visited together. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

My big worry is that it would go missing and never make it to where you want. I bet you could find someone in Maine who would be willing to take care of the ashes for you. I certainly would.

Being a dog lover and knowing the connections that form, I'd be willing to move one along if I found it.

My dog recently died and I had him cremated. We'd moved cross country and I'd like to get him back to Maine to be buried. I thought I'd basically make a travel bug of his urn and watch his progress east from the west coast in hopes someone would eventually bury him where I'd like (I'd place the coordinates on an engraved tag on the urn). The only problem I foresee is the size of the urn, about the size of a 1-liter soda bottle, maybe. I think it would be too large for most regular caches.

I know some people think carrying ashes is a bit gruesome but these aree dog's ashes, not human. Thoughts on this? I had thought of having parts of his ashes put into smaller tokens and each sent to Maine and elsewhere to different spots too...his favorite places we've visited together. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I have to say that my first impression here is "eew". My kids (dog lovers) would be totally freaked out if they found an urn of your dog's ashes in a cache. I know that I take the risk of my kids seeing things I may not want them to see, or that they may not want to see, when I take them caching, but in addition to the very real chance of the travel bug being "lost" I do think you might want to be sensitive to the reactions of people who might come across your dog's ashes and be upset by it.

I think that as cool as it might sound now to send you dog's ashes "home" in this way, I think it might be more practical to send them directly to friends in Maine.

Best of luck, and sorry to hear about the loss of your dog!

Thanks!

I have to say that my first impression here is "eew". My kids (dog lovers) would be totally freaked out if they found an urn of your dog's ashes in a cache. I know that I take the risk of my kids seeing things I may not want them to see, or that they may not want to see, when I take them caching, but in addition to the very real chance of the travel bug being "lost" I do think you might want to be sensitive to the reactions of people who might come across your dog's ashes and be upset by it.

I think that as cool as it might sound now to send you dog's ashes "home" in this way, I think it might be more practical to send them directly to friends in Maine.

Best of luck, and sorry to hear about the loss of your dog!

I'm sorry, but I'm also a pet lover and I agree with GMTH here...

Not to mention knowing the liklihood of it disappearing the way tb's and coins disappear!! Just not worth the risk if you ask me!

I found a cache in Germany that contained partial ashes of someones father. The ashes were in a small container similar to what the small caches look like. This TB had traveled far and wide as that is what the father liked to do. There was no way of knowing what was in the TB and there was no mention of ashes on the TB page itself. Once I read the TB description I figured out what it was, but for the individual who wouldn't want his children to see ashes, you would have no worry about it.

I also think that the bug would travel far, while there are those who keep bugs, I think this one might make its destination. I would suggest that you take a portion of the ashes, put them into a sealable small metal tube, attach the bug and send your pet enroute. I would also send the larger urn via mail so your pet could receive a burial in Maine.

Just a thought

I found a cache in Germany that contained partial ashes of someones father. The ashes were in a small container similar to what the small caches look like. This TB had traveled far and wide as that is what the father liked to do. There was no way of knowing what was in the TB and there was no mention of ashes on the TB page itself. Once I read the TB description I figured out what it was, but for the individual who wouldn't want his children to see ashes, you would have no worry about it.

I also think that the bug would travel far, while there are those who keep bugs, I think this one might make its destination. I would suggest that you take a portion of the ashes, put them into a sealable small metal tube, attach the bug and send your pet enroute. I would also send the larger urn via mail so your pet could receive a burial in Maine.

Just a thought

I would be with Brewmeister on this. I have cremated two of my dogs and I would not have a problem (other than living in New Zealand and it being physically impossible in this case) to move along the ashes. A small sealed container with a doggy type toy or picture attached with the TB seems like a nice idea!

Only 'gross' if you open the container, and even then...

If done well and tagged correctly, this is no worse than any of the other things I have found stuck to a cache container, in the cache hiding spot, etc... I think I'd rather move along a TB of ashes than a moldy stuffed animal. As I said before, I would have no problem moving this TB along, or accepting a set of ashes that needed to be buried anywhere in New England. Dog ashes only, people are on their own...