Coin Storage

snoboardz

I am a newcomer to geocoin collecting but I have already started to develop quite a large collection. Can I get some recommendations for good ways to store and display your coin collection? I would like to purchase a quality display book/binder and would like the names of some reputable suppliers.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

A lot of us use the snap closed storage with the clear lid and yellow dividers found at Lowes. You can store them front to back or sideways and the container has a great handle. I put my trackables in one and non in another with a label on the cover and sides for at a glance knowledge of which is which. They run just under $11.00

As for display, there are a lot of ways depending on the amount of room on your wall or table, some use binders, I happen to use stained 1" x 2" boards with a groove (from the table saw( down the middle of the narrow side and screw it to the wall, You can make any length, then the coin can be stood in the groove with or without package for easy viewing.

Hope this helps... :)

Display @ home and the coins are going no where, Frozen Buns has a great idea. Or even buy some coin stands off the E place and a curio cabinet.

Display & storage on the go: I use a Case It 3 Ring binder that zips up. Baseball or Business card pages for bigger coins, & smaller coin pages for the micro stuff. All with velcro to seal each pocket. Not bad, but tends to get very heavy as I found out @ GCF.

Storage on the go: Again, Frozen Buns suggestion. I saw these all through GCF. Not too good for display as you had to sort through to see what there was, but not a bad idea for storage.

Dansco coin albums are great but you have to find coin pages of the diameter size coins you want display and since they are incremental to about 1-2mm. choosing can be tough. TheCachingPlace sells a Geocoin album with the coin size pages already selected and it's more affordable than the Dansco albums.

But for storing coins of different shapes and sizes on a page (themes and the like) the 3 ring binder is the best. Checkout the pinned thread on coin resources for a link on how to store your coins for great ideas on securing your coins in the binder pages. Several types of binder pages are available... I like the stiffer ones which are less likely to let coins slip out when flipping the page.

I would suggest using the kitchen table, the coffee table, your desk, and a few corners on the floor, boxes on the floor, backpack, truck cup holder and console. I find these work exceptionaly well for complete and utter chaos.

:anicute: You too eh! Coffee table, makeup kit box, dresser and bathroom are a few more :D

You guys missed my favorite spot the computer desk where I can examine them daily

I would suggest using the kitchen table, the coffee table, your desk, and a few corners on the floor, boxes on the floor, backpack, truck cup holder and console. I find these work exceptionaly well for complete and utter chaos.

:anicute: You too eh! Coffee table, makeup kit box, dresser and bathroom are a few more :D

You guys missed my favorite spot the computer desk where I can examine them daily

I like to say I'm organized, but they've been sitting in bubble wrap all over the place - I found one in the refrigerator afew days ago. It made the coin look cool - definite plus for display.

I just had an idea. If I ever stop transporting my coins to events, I am gonna build a coffee table with 2 panes of glass for the top. In between the glass will be all my coins with a light on each end.

That's a cool idea, but you would either need to stick your coins down, or use lots of padding, for them to stay in place with even the slightest vibrations, because of the difference in thicknesses and the surface reliefs. And then, you can only see one side of them for the rest of the table's usage.

Thanks to everyone for their input. You've given me some great ideas for storing my coins. I think the refrigerator may be my favorite, as it keeps the coins nice and fresh, just like the day I got them :anicute: I think that bringing the fridge to geo events is going to prove challenging to say the least but I'll think of something. I need to get one of those appliance dolly's. Yeah, that will work.

Thanks again for all the tips and resources.

snoboardz