Which Handheld is best?

We have just started geocaching and are enjoying finding places just miles from our house we never knew about. However, I have been making do with a Tom Tom to get close and a GPS capable (yeah right) Nokia N95 with geocache software downloaded to find the cache. The software on the phone is fine but the hardware lets it down (constantly rotating eCompass and hence ever-changing bearing to cache. I suspect this is down to poor reception for the phone and as such i've decided to bite the bullet and purchase a fit for purpose handheld GPS. The Magellan Triton 500 looks ideal and is in the price range but is it any good? all the reviews i've seen are written by techo geeks and as such i'm none the wiser. Help? :(

Magellan has a very bad reputation when it comes to customer support. Also the triton line has not impressed very many geocachers and saw some very serious issues. I don't know about that model specifically though.

I would suggest something close to the Garmin Legend HCx or the Vista HCx. Around $190 and $225. They are identical except the Vista includes an electronic compass and altimeter. Both have color screen, long battery life, USB, autorouting, expandable map memory, rugged etc.

I would also throw in either of the DeLorme units (PN20 or the shortly to be release PN40). It kind of depends on if you just plan on using the unit for the trek from car to cache, or if you plan on using the unit for any other outdoor activity such as hiking, kayaking, biking, etc. The DeLorme units are great for their maps. You can have a several types of imagery loaded to the unit so you are able to see the actual terrain of where you plan on going.

As a "new" hand-held user, you won't have any previous software to fall back on. The hand-

held GPSrs mentioned come equipped w/basemaps only, detailed maps are an added expense.

Although the detail maps are not required for usability, lacking them is somewhat unfulfilling.

Since your Auto-Nav tasks are already addressed, a hand-held dedicated to trail use seems to

be your objective. Consider the DeLorme PN-20, there are bargains to be had, as it's just been

joined by a big brother, the PN-40 @ a slightly higher price point.

Norm

<edit>

P.S. :

The DeLorme _comes_ with the detail mapping software as part of the deal, probably the best

priced most complete package avail..

Edited by RRLover

Thankyou very much for the advice. Have decided to leave Magellan well enough alone based on your replies - your fault now! I've secured a good deal on a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx - under £200. Hopefully it will meet all our requirements - seems reasonably future proof too. I'll let you know how we get on. Thanks again. :(

I've secured a good deal on a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx - under £200.

Sounds like a good choice. While I completely agree with the suggestions that the Delormes are great values, they are US-centric in their maps. The Vista HCx is a good choice for international needs.

At the risk of hijacking this thread...

I currently use a Garmin eTrex and think I'm about ready to try something else. I do have some specific needs and wonder what folks might recommend.

Must have a display that is easy to read in bright sunlight.

Easy to read from about 2.5' (see the ATV thing below).

Must be totally awesome under leaf cover (ok maybe not totally awesome but as good as possible).

Ditto for hills (live in mid New Hampshire and we gots hills...).

Think an external antenna might be good to have.

Able to download new maps, not an issue but nice to have.

Easy to use with gloves on. It's going to be used fall and winter mostly.

Mounts on an ATV handlebar.

Shock resistant is good.

Trip computer - avg speed while moving, avg overall speed, distance travelled.

Tracks, waypoints, all that good stuff, nice to have but don't really need.

Did I mention good under cover? Lots of trees in NH...

Reconditioned/used is fine.

Cost - free would be nice but under $300

My current eTrex is gray scale and hard to see in bright light and is ok under cover but does loose signal often enough to be a pain.

Thanks for any recommendations.

For you I would go with a 60csx. Its right around the price range; biggest screen for that price as well. The new etrex series that are H©(x) have better receivers as well.

Things to make sure you have:

- High sensitivity receiver

- Expandable memory card (for all those maps)

Also, with the 60csx you can have an external antenna but I don't think anyone does.

For you I would go with a 60csx. Its right around the price range; biggest screen for that price as well. The new etrex series that are H©(x) have better receivers as well.

Things to make sure you have:

- High sensitivity receiver

- Expandable memory card (for all those maps)

Also, with the 60csx you can have an external antenna but I don't think anyone does.

Thanks for the quick reply. The 60csx seems to get nothing but rave reviews.

One follow on question; when you say 'high sensitivity receiver' is there some techno-marketingspeak-buzzword that can reliably be used to identify actual 'high sensitivity'? In other words, are the etrex HcX receivers worse, the same, or better than the 60csx?

Thanks again.

dfinner,

I'm going to suggest an alternative to what Oz suggests. If you have been happy with your eTrex up until now, I think you are a candidate to upgrade to a newer eTrex. I have the eTrex Legend HCx and it has everthing you mentioned except the ability to connect an external antenna. But it doesn't need one. As Oz mentioned, the newer technology is that good. And, yes, it's for real.

I have an older Garmin unit and a spanky new eTrex Legend HCx and there's absolutely no comparison on how quickly the new eTrex will get a lock and under what conditions. I haven't compared my eTrex HCx to the new GPSMAP CSx but I doubt if there is any useful difference. Both are reported to be superquick to lock and maintain lock in pretty ugly situations. I can certainly verify that in the case of my eTrex HCX and there are loads of testimonials here and elsewhere to the 60CSx.

Here's sort of an extreme situation: Sitting in my basement office my older unit won't see a single bird most days, never mind get a lock, no matter how long it sits there. My Legend HCx with the newer technology will get a lock in about a minute and a half with seven birds showing and 9M accuracy. Not bad when you consider my office sits right underneath the cold air return ductwork.

I use it mounted on the handlebar of my mountain bike with Garmin's handlebar mount. It seems quite solid. I've used it with my motorcycle gloves on (use them for riding my mountain bike in the colder fall weather).

I've set my eTrex Legend HCx beside the GPSMAP and the screen on the eTrex is brighter, with the backlight on or off. Yes, it has very nice colours and you can select different colour schemes.

You can load maps. In September I had Topo Canada and Ibycus Topo loaded for some mountain biking in the Rockies. Right now I have City Navigator North America 2009 loaded and it works great for vehicle navigation, with autorouting, searchable addresses, searchable points of interest and all that stuff.

You can transfer maps, routes, waypoints and tracks to and from the new eTrex using MapSource on the PC. I have over 200 waypoints loaded, with three dozen Superstore Gas Bars and all my favorite motels and restaurants between here and the Left Coast. I have a few track files that I got from the internet for the TransCanada Trail in southern British Columbia that I used when I was out there with my mountain bike in September.

It uses a micro-SD card so the amount of stuff you can load onto it is huge. You can save your tracks to the memory card so you can keep tracks nearly indefinitely.

It knows about geocaches so you can assign a specific icon for caches, load them from pocket queries on here or your MyGarmin account, search them as a seperate category and mark them found.

I've used it in the rain and there were no difficulties with it. It seems quite weather resistant.

If you want the electronic compass and barometer, like the 60CSx, you can get the eTrex Vista HCx instead of the Legend. I didn't see any point in spending the extra money. I don't care about elevation any more accurate than the GPS gives me and I can buy a really good compass that doesn't constantly need recalibration for a lot less money than the difference in price of the Vista.

If it sounds like I'm really pleased with my new Legend HCx you would be correct. :anicute:

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

60CSx is my vote. Mature, rock solid and the "golden standard". I would recommend you wait for the PN-40 if you desire the better maps from DeLorme. The PN-20, although functional, is slow in the field for caching and almost non-usable for auto-routing. Again, the 60CSx, 60CS or PN-40.

Thankyou very much for the advice. Have decided to leave Magellan well enough alone based on your replies - your fault now! I've secured a good deal on a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx - under £200. Hopefully it will meet all our requirements - seems reasonably future proof too. I'll let you know how we get on. Thanks again. :anicute:

I'd take a good look at this mapset if I were you: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm

Thankyou very much for the advice. Have decided to leave Magellan well enough alone based on your replies - your fault now! I've secured a good deal on a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx - under £200. Hopefully it will meet all our requirements - seems reasonably future proof too. I'll let you know how we get on. Thanks again. :)

I'd take a good look at this mapset if I were you: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm

Mate, very many thanks - GPSr arrived today and i was just starting to wonder how much my UK topo maps were going to cost - the link seems to be a one stop (free) shop. I'll let you know how i get on with it once i've stopped playing with my new toy's buttons etc

Thankyou very much for the advice. Have decided to leave Magellan well enough alone based on your replies - your fault now! I've secured a good deal on a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx - under £200. Hopefully it will meet all our requirements - seems reasonably future proof too. I'll let you know how we get on. Thanks again. :)

Mate, very many thanks - GPSr arrived today and i was just starting to wonder how much my UK topo maps were going to cost - the link seems to be a one stop (free) shop. I'll let you know how i get on with it once i've stopped playing with my new toy's buttons etc

All you will need to make them work on a PC is a microSD card for the Vista HCx and the software that came with the unit.

Good luck. Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan!

dfinner,

I'm going to suggest an alternative to what Oz suggests. If you have been happy with your eTrex up until now, I think you are a candidate to upgrade to a newer eTrex. I have the eTrex Legend HCx and it has everthing you mentioned except the ability to connect an external antenna. But it doesn't need one. As Oz mentioned, the newer technology is that good. And, yes, it's for real.

...ken...

Ken,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I may be taking a look at the eTrex. Your basement? That is great! What's a few trees compared to a basement

Doug