Cub Scouts and Geocaching

asbeach

Hi all!,

I am a Den Leader for a group of Cub Scouts, and I want to take the boys on a Geocach hunt. I am new to this, but have heard of it before and have wanted to try it, so when we were looking for another activity for the boys, I thought this would be perfect. The problem is, I would like a hike that is doable for a group of 20 boys and their parents. Somthing that is a bit of a challange without killing them, about an hour to an hour and a half long from start to finish. The boys range in age from 7 to 9. Also it would be cool if the cache was big enough for us to leave somthing in trade. We live in El Cajon, zip code 92021, but are not adverse to driving a bit to find a good hike. I see so many caches in our area, but am not sure which ones fit my requirements. Thank you so much for any advice.

Andrea

thebeachfaily@cox.net

If you become a premium member you can run a pocket query for a specific type of cache in the area you would like to search for like all diff 1-2 with a terr of 1-3. You would also need to open this PQ in another software program like GSAK, or if you could use Mapsource if you have have a Garmin GPS that came with that software. You could then plot your course to find the easier caches along your hike.

To follow up on what ao318 said, a 1-month Premium Membership costs a grand total of $3.

Except that you'll probably get hooked on the premium features and go for the $30/year option after a couple of months.

Also, if you have a really large group of Cub Scouts, I recommend notifying the cache owners along your treck of what you're planning (basically, you're telling a large group of under-aged "muggles" where the cache is located). Some owners don't want large groups of children to know where their caches are. While I'm sure that all of your Scouts are Angels, most large groups of children have at least one or two with tarnished halos. It's amazing how many caches go missing or are repeatedly vandalized after being visited by a large group of children.

Hi all!,

I am a Den Leader for a group of Cub Scouts, and I want to take the boys on a Geocach hunt. I am new to this, but have heard of it before and have wanted to try it, so when we were looking for another activity for the boys, I thought this would be perfect. The problem is, I would like a hike that is doable for a group of 20 boys and their parents. Somthing that is a bit of a challange without killing them, about an hour to an hour and a half long from start to finish. The boys range in age from 7 to 9. Also it would be cool if the cache was big enough for us to leave somthing in trade. We live in El Cajon, zip code 92021, but are not adverse to driving a bit to find a good hike. I see so many caches in our area, but am not sure which ones fit my requirements. Thank you so much for any advice.

Andrea

thebeachfaily@cox.net

I would consider planting a cache just for the group to give them a feel for the sport but not threatening existing caches. I have heard of scout groups and school groups being pretty hard on caches. By planting your own caches you ensure a great experience and you can even make some multi-caches along a theme like finding parts of the law of the pack or the cub scout promise. I've thought about doing this for my son's Webelos group. This way you get to have things your way. :ph34r:

Thank you very much, that is a great idea! I was starting to feel a little unwelcome as the responses prior to yours were less than helpful. This way I can put enough trinkets in the cache so that each Scout/muggle can take one with him. I am hoping that the pastime will catch on with some of the families as it seems like a great way to get exercise for both your brain and your body. Thank you again for your inspired suggestion.

Andrea

I would consider planting a cache just for the group to give them a feel for the sport but not threatening existing caches. I have heard of scout groups and school groups being pretty hard on caches. By planting your own caches you ensure a great experience and you can even make some multi-caches along a theme like finding parts of the law of the pack or the cub scout promise. I've thought about doing this for my son's Webelos group. This way you get to have things your way. :ph34r:

Telling someone with no idea about caching to buy a membership and run a query doesn't help much IMHO. I wouldn't even understand what all that meant let alone how to run the query...sorry if those replies were less than helpful! :)

I work with the Girl Scouts and will be doing another geocaching 101 workshop Nov 8th for the little ladies, we cover how to place a cache, how to find a cache, how to use a GPS, how to set up an account etc. Starting from the beginning isn't exactly the best way though as you need to get the kids interest before you lose them to the "work" part of the game! Placing a temporary cache on your own or BS property will allow you to do just this!

We start by placing 2 caches, one difficult and one easy, one a micro and one a regular where you can trade! We then give a short introduction talk before allowing the youngsters to search out the easy hide (we usually use the micro for this, but put it in an easy to find location...this give's them an idea of what a micro is while not making them discouraged about the difficulties a micro might create! You can do it as you wish though). When the kids find the micro, we then ask if they'd like to try for another one (which is almost always answered with a resounding YES!) and let them find the regular while explainging the differences in size, the importance of camo (can't allow non-cachers to find and possibly ruin our fun), all things that we feel we should cover...and ask for any questions the little ladies might have of course.

By the time the girls have found the second cache, they are HOOKED!!! We then go over the finer details such as the computer aspect, TB's and coins etc. The rest sells itself lol!

The TB game would also be a big bonus for the boys, it teaches geography, computer skills, communication skills as well as typing/spelling skills! You could have each youngster buy a TB tag and set up the TB for travels. Each child could then release their TBs for a race, allowing the kids to have a fun competition (making it a bit more exciting for the youngsters). The kids could then be required to map the TBs travels, reply to emails about their TB etc...it's a great teaching tool!

If you'd like, you could email me and we could chat a bit more about this!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Oh, and when you have them understanding the aspect of FINDING a cache (this might take a few workshops to get all the info straight), move on to the hiding aspect. We're (the GS and I) are readying to work on a caching trail where the ladies will learn how to place a cache, how to write up the listing and how to maintain the cache!!

Great fun while, again, teaching the youngsters skills needed in life!

I'm a new Cub Scout Den Leader as well. My Scouts are the Tigers (new to scouting). I have been thinking about taking my boys Geocaching too. Now I've been told that some of the Day Camps in my district, (El Camino Real) that are owned by or are affiliated with the BSA have a scouts only (not listed on geocaching.com) caches hidden on the property. I would recommend that you find out if there are any in the San Diego area day camps. If there are not any hidden, talk to your counsel leaders & or the day camp leaders about you (and any other geocahers that are leaders - you'd be surprised) hidding a cache or two on the property. Kids love finding ammo cans! :)

I have had the pleasure of taking my niece, nephew and daughter caching. While not 20 cub scouts, here is what I suggest.

Take them first to a few caches that you have found before. That way you avoid the frustration of missing caches, poor quality caches, or bad environment.

A short hike of less then a hour would be prefect for kids that age. Bring sack lunches or snacks if you really want to make it a day hike.

I have found that most kids much prefer caches were they can trade. While micros and smalls can be fun to find. The trade seems to be what kids that age are interested in.

End the days search at a playground were the boys can work off any remaining energy they have. Hopefully there are benches were the tired parents can sit. 8-).

Something else you might consider for your hide. One of the local troops here is lucky enough to have use of a club house. Lions Club or some such. They hid their cache behind the building in some overgrowth. I met one of their leaders that just happened to be there unloading after a weekend of camping. Turns out he hid it!

Have fun! :)

(Secretly wishing he had a son so he could do the cub scout thing again.)

I have had the pleasure of taking my niece, nephew and daughter caching. While not 20 cub scouts, here is what I suggest.

Take them first to a few caches that you have found before. That way you avoid the frustration of missing caches, poor quality caches, or bad environment.

A short hike of less then a hour would be prefect for kids that age. Bring sack lunches or snacks if you really want to make it a day hike.

I have found that most kids much prefer caches were they can trade. While micros and smalls can be fun to find. The trade seems to be what kids that age are interested in.

End the days search at a playground were the boys can work off any remaining energy they have. Hopefully there are benches were the tired parents can sit. 8-).

Something else you might consider for your hide. One of the local troops here is lucky enough to have use of a club house. Lions Club or some such. They hid their cache behind the building in some overgrowth. I met one of their leaders that just happened to be there unloading after a weekend of camping. Turns out he hid it!

Have fun! :)

(Secretly wishing he had a son so he could do the cub scout thing again.)

One problem I've seen with teaching by using an existing (real) cache is that some of the kids won't understand that we can't just take our friends out to visit the cache at any time. Often, a real cache will come up missing because the kid takes a friend who then takes a friend and so on until a bad seed takes the cache OR, the kids aren't as stealthy as should be and the cache is muggled. Either way, teaching the youngsters with a temp cache exposes no cache to harm and still teaches the kids!

While I also agree that kids love to trade, are these kids going to all take something to trade with?? Will they all have enough goodies to trade evenly, trade up or... I have my doubts and then you're going to have a bunch of kids wanting to take something (since it is their first "treasure" found). My suggestion here is fill the cache with something for the youngsters so they all get a reward while not depleting the inventory of a real cache! Candy, a coupon to a local ice cream shop or eatery (you could likely get these donated if you ask) or just a small toy found at the dollar stores work just fine and won't break the bank!

The GS put patches in the last cache, the girls earned these patches by completing the finds and then got to keep the patches to put on their uniforms!

Edited by Rockin Roddy