Hearsall Hunt

Hi folks,

Im still very new to this and and going to have a go at setting my first multi.

My plan is to create a series of caches that are aimed at introducing people to Geocaching and I will run this as an event for a social group im in.

The therory is to start with a simple cach and dash with a large container, then gradualy work my way down to more complex multi part caches that get more and more challenging. If possible I hope to end the search with finding a needle - proabbly in a micro.

I hope the whole thing will take about 4hours to complete and will not require any driving, other than reaching the initial parking spot.

I hope to set this very close to my home im Coventry.

Any advice and guidance most welcome.

Cheers

Adam

Wow - That sounds like a lot of caches! Just make sure that you're really familiar with the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines before you get stuck into the planning, remembering that each physical cache (or physical part of any cache) needs to be a minimum of 528ft from any other one.

Also, you might like to have a look at the Pinned Topic at the top of this Forum : Resources for Geocachers in UK and Ireland. There's some useful stuff there about getting permissions and setting your first cache.

Good luck :D

MrsB

Edited to add the "Also" :P

Edited by The Blorenges

Hi folks,

Im still very new to this and and going to have a go at setting my first multi.

My plan is to create a series of caches that are aimed at introducing people to Geocaching and I will run this as an event for a social group im in.

The therory is to start with a simple cach and dash with a large container, then gradualy work my way down to more complex multi part caches that get more and more challenging. If possible I hope to end the search with finding a needle - proabbly in a micro.

I hope the whole thing will take about 4hours to complete and will not require any driving, other than reaching the initial parking spot.

I hope to set this very close to my home im Coventry.

Any advice and guidance most welcome.

Cheers

Adam

I do have a cache which is part set already on Hearsall Common. It's in place and registered, but I have been holding off submitting it while the roadworks, and the compound part way down the common have been being worked on.

It may mean we clash for waypoints - mines a 2-part multi, avoiding the circus area.

Feel free to contact me via the geocaching website to discuss.

Well I have gone out and planned this, almost ready to complete the form thing and upload my first. Is there anybody who would like to meet up with me and dummy run this before I upload an potentialy make a muggle of myself?

I have still to plant the cache in final spot along with a mid way micro. Lots of way points to find along the way to get info to help with next....

Its a bit of a mix, starts and ends urban, with a nice circular walk along the way thats takes you through a big open bit of common land....through past a few local "features" and a nice wooded area. May well extend it by a short walk to include a river.

I would submit it - whilst you make best endeavours to check it out and make sure everything is okay, if something doesn't work out, that is the cost of FTF for the FTF'er. Why should the 'prize' of FTF be guaranteed? :) I made a typo on a multi I submitted last week, and G6JLC (bless em') went out on a dark Monday night to get FTF - but they ended up going off course because of my typo.

They let me know, I amended the page and the FTF was still theirs to be had but they couldn't attempt again and JustTheJob got the FTF instead. It's all part of the FTF'ers FTF competition!

ok, so its now live and people have managed to find it.....If I was to look at playing the system to make my cache more diserable would people prefer me to load with geocoins or tb's?

The tempting thing to say is to not set it in Coventry ;-)

More practically, it's autumn, and it was set mid-week. People will come, but to start with they'll probably look at weekends in daylight, especially as it's a multi, and therefore a cache that involves an investment of time.

To get more people looking for this sort of cache in future, it could be set as a series rather than a multi. That way people can hit individual caches, or go for the numbers of doing the whole thing.

Nice to see it's up and running though. I really must put the container in place for my one in the area, and check that it still fits now that yours is there. Two caches will be more of a draw than one.

Congratulations on your first hide.

Reading the logs it seems you have had four teams visit already, which for an autumnal midweek I'd say is pretty good. Loading the cache with TBs and coins won't necessarily drawn people along and simply collecting up TBs with the sole purpose of loading your own cache is a bit odd unless it helps their mission.

It looks like a long cache, so folks without much time, young children or limited stamina are probably not your target audience.

My advice would be to sort out the mentioned glitches by the first finders, then sit back and relax and wait for folks to come. It's clear from the logs there already it's not really suitable to be done in the hours of darkness (in the light of the FTF team being challenged by the Police).

One thing you might also like to consider, is removing the green plastic bag around the cache, they are not very wildlife friendly, they let in and then hold water, start to smell and make the whole retrieval experience less fun (think dank rainwater, slugs etc).

Good luck! :grin: