Virtual Caches - TomTom .ov2 file

tarmacburner2

I was playing around the other day and created an .ov2 file for virtual caches.

So far there are about twenty five caches listed so before completing this I thought I would see if there was any interest for it.

File works on TomTom but can be converted for other formats - I haven't done this as I don't have a need to do so.

As far as I know I can't paste the files to this posting so please email me if you would like the files emailing to you. Please post a reply regarding your interest (or not) - or if you know that such information is still readily available.

The .ov2 and the .bmp files are my own work so I am not infringing any copyrights. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

The .ov2 and the .bmp files are my own work so I am not infringing any copyrights. :huh:

Sorry to pee on your bonfire, but I think you're infringing Groundspeaks ToU :rolleyes:

Not being a 'legal eagle' and not wishing to cause any waves I will defer to Rutson and assume that creating a list of this nature would be an infringement of the ToU. Sorry people but you are going to have to do without these POIs. :)

Cheers,

Sorry people but you are going to have to do without these POIs. :)

I have POIs for all types of cache on my TomTom.

As already stated, you need to get a Premium membership so you can run Pocket Queries - a kind of 'database dump' from GC.com. Then import this is to GSAK (Google it), install one of the extra macros to GSAK and job done! :huh:

A lot less work than creating the ov2 by hand :rolleyes:, plus it can be regenerated at will so can be up to date.

Sorry people but you are going to have to do without these POIs. :ph34r:

Not at all. As has been said, anyone who wants such waypoints - in any format - has only to download and convert them themselves, with or without premium membership.

The problem with your proposed approach isn't the obtaining of the data and the conversion to OV2 but rather that you then proposed distributing that data to others.

Interesting point. I can't find anywhere on the TomTom website that says the POI ov2 files are copyright. In fact they provide links to loads of other sites where you can download POI files of all types that others have created. So I think creating your own and making them available is OK*

Regarding posting them here - the Groundspeak T&C's do not stop you providing files for people (there are many excellent Firefox scripts available to download). Specifically the guidelines say that you cannot:

c) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationship.

d) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any person, including without limitation under any privacy or publicity rights.

So if creating POI files is legal then providing a link to them here is also OK.

*Any legal eagles out there who can comment please do, I can't see a problem.

Chris (Mr)

(who had better get back to work now :ph34r: )

As stated, Premium Membership and GSAK will work absolutely great. I can't pass without them!

Creating POI files for you to use is OK.

Making them available it's not, in my opinion. After all, you're getting a GPX or bunch of LOCs, taken from geocaching.com, pass them through a program and make them available.

It's the same thing as you take a PQ and leave on your server to anyone that wishes to download it.

*Any legal eagles out there who can comment please do, I can't see a problem.

I'm not, but I'll comment anyway :ph34r:.

The Waypoint License Agreement says, in part:

• Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement to any third party whatsoever.

• Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to any third party whatsoever.

However, these are the licence conditions to which one must agree in order to use PQs, and therefore can only apply to premium members. If a non-PM downloads LOC files and then creates a database of them, converts them to another format and then distributes them then it's unlikely that the licence conditions above would prevent them from doing so.

Whether this is something that Groundspeak would want to encourage, condone or prevent is something only they can answer.

Also of relevance is this extract from GEOCACHING.COM SITE TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT:

You may not reproduce or retransmit the Site Materials, in whole or in part, in any manner, without the prior written consent of the owner of such materials, except as follows: You may make a single copy of the Site Materials solely for Your personal, noncommercial use, but such copying must be consistent with any applicable additional terms and conditions and You must preserve any copyright, trademark, or other notices contained in or associated with such Site Materials. You may not distribute such copies to others, whether or not in electronic form and whether or not for a charge or other consideration, without prior written consent of the owner of such materials. If you have any questions, contact us at contact@Groundspeak.com.

(My emphases)

It's not as clear as the PQ licence, but it may be that Groundspeak consider themselves protected by this clause. As it says, if you have any questions...

Also of relevance is this extract from GEOCACHING.COM SITE TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT:

You may not reproduce or retransmit the Site Materials, in whole or in part, in any manner, without the prior written consent of the owner of such materials, except as follows: You may make a single copy of the Site Materials solely for Your personal, noncommercial use, but such copying must be consistent with any applicable additional terms and conditions and You must preserve any copyright, trademark, or other notices contained in or associated with such Site Materials. You may not distribute such copies to others, whether or not in electronic form and whether or not for a charge or other consideration, without prior written consent of the owner of such materials. If you have any questions, contact us at contact@Groundspeak.com.

(My emphases)

It's not as clear as the PQ licence, but it may be that Groundspeak consider themselves protected by this clause. As it says, if you have any questions...

Wow! So I can print off a copy of the cache page for myself, but I can't let any one else see it! :ph34r: