My wife - not interested in the sport, but I'm making progress ..

Kohavis

I've officially been a geocacher now for a few weeks. I love it!

My wife has told me that she's not interested in participating ....at all. I even took her on an easy park-n-grab to show her what it's like. No luck.

But she can see how much fun I've been having with it and she has sort of been participating, in an indirect way.

The other day we were at the zoo. I had dropped her off, went after a few caches, then met her inside. While I was caching, she found a couple of pinecones and presented them to me, saying "These would make good hiding places for those itty bitty caches you have, if you hollow out the bottom". Later on she also went digging in the closet and produced a nice Altoids tin and another round candy tin that would make nice "small" caches.

She suggested that I drop her off at her favorite store and go off geocaching, then pick her up in a couple of hours. She suggested it by asking me if there are any caches in the vicinity. So that's what we'll be doing this morning :D

Sooner or later I'll get her hooked. For now, she wants to do stuff with me, but isn't interested in directly going on finds.

Has anyone else here been through this situation? How did it turn out?

Silmilar problem here. She doesn't mind finding a few easy ones, but isn't really into it. She does like to visit nice places, so I can usually work it out if there is a cache in a scenic spot. She can't see the point at all in hunting a difficult micro or even a tough one in the woods that takes more than a few minutes, so these are solo efforts. It works out. She enjoys seeing places we never would have found without geocacing, and I remember that it's about the trip, not finding a nano to the exclusion of the sights.

Same problem here, only I'm a chick and it's my husband who is not so much interested. Luckily my mom, brother, and nephew are so I usually have someone to cache with as long as I head to their part of town.

While my H is not interested in going out for a full day or a few hours of caching, he does indulge me by making stops for urban caches if we're out doing something else. Sometimes I find 2 or 3 in an area and then suggest going out for dinner or a beer (or both LOL) and then stopping on the way there or on the way home and he's generally OK with that. Last week we had brekkie at IHOP and there was one in the adjacent parking lot so he drove and I jumped out and grabbed it. Then later that day he wanted to go to Kohl's so I came with and he dropped me off to do one in the area, I walked over to Kohls when done and shopped, then we both found a cache at a movie theatre on the way home. He also listens when I tell him about my exciting finds.

While I really wish he was even slightly more interested in this activity, I guess it could be worse. He could totally despise it and totally refuse to get involved. So I take what I can get and just deal with the lack of interest. Maybe one day I'll make a local friend who is super interested.

Has anyone else here been through this situation? How did it turn out?

Been caching since 03 and the wife still isn't interested. Every once in a great while she'll go and enjoy the hunt but I doubt she'll ever become addicted.

Of my three kids only my 12 year old daughter caches and she's so hooked she has her own premium account. My youngest caches on occasion but given a choice he'd rather go to a playground or beach. However he does know the proper hand signal.

e287fc9d-539a-4e53-b613-34aaa8929a35.jpg

cmilk

a5064555-6fb8-42b3-92ae-65b0dbabfeaf.jpg

At first my wife was not interested, but went out with me and the kids a few times. Then she found one that I was about to give up on. She then wanted to find them before me just to show me up. Then finally just her and I went out and we went out hiking at the local park without the kids and same thing she WANTED to find them before me, now she has her own account and looks for them while I'm at work to try and catch up with me.

Now she is hooked and loves going out on the hikes as well as the many urban ones by us. My two girls think that we're pirates and love looking for the treasure. I am a scuba diver but it is hard to leave the wife and kids all the time, so It's great to have something to get us out of the house that all of us now like to do.

We've only been doing this for a few weeks now, but love going on the hunt.

Same problem here, but I look at it a different way. All of our interests cannot be the same, otherwise what a dull relationship. If she or he is not into it enjoy the times they do go along. Be happy they are willing to let you look for a cache or two while going shopping or elsewhere. They are letting you enjoy what you like, many others would not. Time spent together is time well spent. Maybe after a few years they will want to see what it is that has kept you so interested all that time.

Thanks for all the stories, people. That is indeed encouraging :angry:

My wife is very understanding about it and very tolerant with me and my new fixation. She has her own interests, and we have some common interests. I also try to be understanding, interested, and patient with her when it comes to her activities. But the last thing I want to do is to try pushing her into it. She's from German stock, and stubborn B):yikes: Trying to nag or push her into participating more will only have the opposite effect :anibad: But I wouldn't want her to change a thing about her personality :ph34r:

Some day ..... :huh:

My wife also has no interest in caching but is very supportive of my caching. She will even comment when I haven't been out for a while. She doesn't mind making stops on the way to somewhere for a quick grab and she also likes to come up with ideas for swag and containers.

Everyone has different interests. She likes to hear about my day. She especially looks forward to the days when I take our two daughters, ages 12 and 9, out of the house for several hours. It enables her to get thngs done around the house and sometimes to just veg out.

There are many other things that we do as a family this is just not one of them which is ok with me.

Kohavis, my hubby isn't the least bit interested in caching, but he enjoys doing things together, so he goes with me a couple of times a month.

Twice he has created really good camos for hides (I'm still looking for the perfect spot for them) and since he is a carpenter, he always has a creative twist to them. He just isn't into traipsing around in th woods. He prefers a quick urban cache.

I try to save a couple of interesting hides for when he goes so he doesn't get bored with the gaurdrail micros.

I think your wife is interested in the game, or she wouldn't be finding containers for you to use. She just isn't interested in hunting them as much as you. Enjoy the time you spend together and it won't matter what you're doing. :)

Edited by ladyleo191

Kohavis, my hubby isn't the least bit interested in caching, but he enjoys doing things together, so he goes with me a couple of times a month.

Twice he has created really good camos for hides (I'm still looking for the perfect spot for them) and since he is a carpenter, he always has a creative twist to them. He just isn't into traipsing around in th woods. He prefers a quick urban cache.

I try to save a couple of interesting hides for when he goes so he doesn't get bored with the gaurdrail micros.

I think your wife is interested in the game, or she wouldn't be finding containers for you to use. She just isn't interested in hunting them as much as you. Enjoy the time you spend together and it won't matter what you're doing. :ph34r:

That's the way I see it, and I won't press the issue. She's participating in her own way.

This week, we went out together several times and I dropped her off, did my geocaching thing, then met her back where she was. Tuesday was the zoo, Thurs. and today other stores for her hobbies. She enjoyed it and I got to do my thing. And every outing this week was her idea!

I logged about 10 miles on foot this week geocaching since Monday - Tuesday it was the Tingley bosque (3 caches), Wednesday a few local caches in residential areas, Thursday a different part of the bosque (I love deep woods hides!!!)(6 caches) and today four urban caches (mag. nanos and micros). Busy week! :(

With all that walking, maybe she's hoping I'll geocache myself into an early grave and she can collect the insurance money, find a younger stud with buns of steel, and take up residence with him in Cancun or something :laughing::):D J/K :ph34r:

That works for me too. I found an antique store once, and when I made it back she wasn't even halfway finished!

Something about seeing junk antiquities that I threw away five years ago selling for 100 time what I paid for it.....but I digress.

:D:laughing:

What's that saying? - "One man's junk is another man's treasure" :ph34r:

I make fun of her about her window shopping in crafts stores (she has admitted to me she could spend hours in Hobby Lobby :) ). But I'm the same way with my own interests. Pack me a lunch and I'm good for four hours wandering around Home Depot :ph34r:

My boyfriend likes geocaching, but if he never did it again, that would be fine with him. It's okay with me, usually I bribe him into coming with me somewhere and he never would pass up a free meal/beer/movie. He doesn't complain except when after doing two or three and he's tired and I say 'well.... there's one only 0.30miles away...' that I didn't tell him about earlier.

This is all fine, but the part that sucks for me: He's GREAT at finding them. He's found more than half of the ones we've done together, and he's definitely better at it than me.

That works for me too. I found an antique store once, and when I made it back she wasn't even halfway finished!

Something about seeing junk antiquities that I threw away five years ago selling for 100 time what I paid for it.....but I digress.

B):ph34r:

What's that saying? - "One man's junk is another man's treasure" :D

I make fun of her about her window shopping in crafts stores (she has admitted to me she could spend hours in Hobby Lobby B) ). But I'm the same way with my own interests. Pack me a lunch and I'm good for four hours wandering around Home Depot :o

Heck, you don't even need the lunch anymore now that the hot dog chick lives in the vestibule. We cannot leave Home Depot or Lowe's without my hub getting a hot dog, even if we've just had dinner. :huh:

I've been approaching three years geocaching now, and there is a very similar situation with my wife and me: she's still not even the least bit interested, but she does "participate" (I guess you could call it that) in similar ways to what your wife does, she doesn't mind my geocaching or interest in it, and she's good natured about waiting out easy park and grabs that we pass in the car, she even looked once or twice with me and found one cache--had to happen eventually after nearly three years. In general, just like you, we have interests we share as well as our own respective interests. Neither one of us considers it a problem that geocaching is not a common interest.