Garmin OREGON Firmware 2.5 avaliable (via webupdater)

freeday

I can verify that it fixes the first two issues.

Anyone know what the issue with the elevation plot over time was?

GO$Rs

I'm thinking this one might be in error and a partial reference to the Colorado not plotting over time when the unit was shut off--but I only played with pressure--didn't know you could plot elevation changes or that the Oregon had any issues concerning this?

What about the potential screen freezing issues you had or had heard of with the Oregon and 2.4? Should I go for broke and install 2.5 now and just see what happens? I think I will.

Edited by Ratsneve

What about the potential screen freezing issues you had or had heard of with the Oregon and 2.4? Should I go for broke and install 2.5 now and just see what happens? I think I will.

i will tell ya the screen freeze thing happens when u put gpx files on the gps i think it has to do with a certion number of gpx files im not shure about that part

Ok, this update -- or rather, trying to install it -- seems to have bricked my Oregon 300.

I've had the unit a couple weeks and haven't had any real problems with it. The previous update went fine.

This afternoon, when I went through the WebUpdate routine, everything seemed to go fine, but now whenever I try to start the unit, after the boot screen it goes to the marble background:

"Validating Update

0% Complete"

then pauses for a couple seconds before shutting down. This happens if when I plug it into to the USB cable, as well; there seems to be no way to turn it on that DOESN'T result in this, and no way to enter mass storage mode to delete the update image that seems to be crashing it.

I've tried the hold the upper-left corner of the screen method for doing a hard reset, but it has no effect. The Updater.exe recovery method listed here SEEMS like it's working, but as soon as it's finished, the unit just goes back to the way it was -- apparently that method does not wipe out the update sitting in memory waiting to be installed.

There's no SD card in the unit, although I do have a blank one sitting here if there's some way to use it to recover the unit.

Any suggestions? Garmin Support is closed on weekends.

Edited by Westacular

I've applied the 2.5 update successfully. Haven't a clue why Garmin won't add the Oregon to the update download page. The Colorado is there. But remember that I think it is the Oregon wiki that links to the updates.

For the moment my biggest discovery I just noticed must have happened as a result of updating to v 2.3 the other day... The Odometer disappeared and a second Trip Odometer appeared in its place in the topmost upper right display of the Trip Computer. I checked though and the Odometer still exists so I have put it where the Trip Odometer default location was. The sad part of this is that the Elevation and now the new Trip Odometer fields cannot be changed. The other six fields below these can be changed. Not to sad though. I will hide the Odometer, which still can not be reset and use something else in its place. I won't use Water Temp which reads only blanks and Air Temp is conveniently missing now.

BTW, Has anyone figured out where the "easter egg" diagnostic page is?

I better read the Oregon wiki before I post to much more. :unsure:

Edited by Ratsneve

Ok, I spent a while on the phone with Garmin Tech Support today. They said they'd never encountered a problem with the Oregon quite like mine before and seemed to take it seriously.

Long story short, eventually they emailed me a .rgn file for version 2.5, and I was able to flash the device with that; the first few times I tried turning it on after that, it would crash at the "loading waypoints" stage, but somehow that stopped and it seems to be fine now. (I did a hard reset on it to be on the safe side.)

I'm not sure what I did to trigger this situation but I did delete a couple GPX files right before running the update and, well, these things do happen. The device is working now, and I'm happy.

Ok, I spent a while on the phone with Garmin Tech Support today. They said they'd never encountered a problem with the Oregon quite like mine before and seemed to take it seriously.

Long story short, eventually they emailed me a .rgn file for version 2.5, and I was able to flash the device with that; the first few times I tried turning it on after that, it would crash at the "loading waypoints" stage, but somehow that stopped and it seems to be fine now. (I did a hard reset on it to be on the safe side.)

I'm not sure what I did to trigger this situation but I did delete a couple GPX files right before running the update and, well, these things do happen. The device is working now, and I'm happy.

Mine turned to a brick twice after deleting my gpx file of caches. I had to do the rgn. install too to fix it both times. The problem was that if I download a gpx file of caches with the same name as the one on the gps it did not seem to replace it. It would still show my found caches even though they had been removed from the new file. So I thought I would delete the gpx diconnect and turn it on then re-load the new file. But it bricked after deleting the gpx file. This happenned twice. So yesterday I uploaded a new gpx of caches after a day of caching but changed the name and then deleted the other file before disconnecting from the PC. That worked and the found caches were gone this time.