Is it appropriate to write this in every log?

TillaMurphs

I have come across a member that puts the following text at the bottom of ALL of the logs that he posts (I have de-identified with XXXs and < >s). This is what follows his cache-speciifc comments:

Cache On and CITO as you Cache,

XXX aka XXXX of <an association> and XXXXX of <placename> Geocaching Association

The 2008 <another place name> Geocache Challenge Series started <a date> 2008!! A NEW COIN and NEW CACHES! For Info see: <a link>

Sponsored by <an agency name> & placed by a <a clubname> Member.

Also, check out <club name> -- you will enjoy our caches and you are Welcome at any of our Events or Meetings. <a link>

It seems like the above is spam (albeit all geocaching related). It also fills up my paperless geocaching text space – taking up text space that could be used for more informative log info. The spamage portion of his logs is longer than the total text of most people’s logs.

Some time ago I sent the person an e-mail to politely inquire about this but I did not hear anything back.

I was curious if this was acceptable? Not trying to cause any problems – just wondering.

Thanks,

I have come across a member that puts the following text at the bottom of ALL of the logs that he posts (I have de-identified with XXXs and < >s). This is what follows his cache-speciifc comments:

Cache On and CITO as you Cache,

XXX aka XXXX of <an association> and XXXXX of <placename> Geocaching Association

The 2008 <another place name> Geocache Challenge Series started <a date> 2008!! A NEW COIN and NEW CACHES! For Info see: <a link>

Sponsored by <an agency name> & placed by a <a clubname> Member.

Also, check out <club name> -- you will enjoy our caches and you are Welcome at any of our Events or Meetings. <a link>

It seems like the above is spam (albeit all geocaching related). It also fills up my paperless geocaching text space – taking up text space that could be used for more informative log info. The spamage portion of his logs is longer than the total text of most people’s logs.

Some time ago I sent the person an e-mail to politely inquire about this but I did not hear anything back.

I was curious if this was acceptable? Not trying to cause any problems – just wondering.

Thanks,

Spam? Maybe it is an issue. But the length of the log appears to be your real complaint. If that's the case, you'll really hate the logs I write. I suggest you get more memory (if it is possible for you to upgrade) to handle the length, or learn to work around it.

Edited by TotemLake

Spam? Maybe it is an issue. But the length of the log appears to be your real complaint. If that's the case, you'll really hate the logs I write. I suggest you get more memory (if it is possible for you to upgrade) to handle the length, or learn to work around it.

No - not at all. Long logs are just fine. I enjoy reading and writing logs. I just don't particularly enjoy reading the same lengthy signature with advertising all the time.

No - not at all. Long logs are just fine. I enjoy reading and writing logs. I just don't particularly enjoy reading the same lengthy signature with advertising all the time.

I'd go with ignore it or you'll find yourself aggravated at other signatures as time goes on.

Per the guidelines

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

If you are the cache owner and the log appears to be off topic you can delete it. The guidelines don't make it clear what to do if the log is partialy off topic. If the finder reported on his experience finding the cache and they added a bunch of stuff promoting an unrelated agenda could you delete the log? While there seem to be many people who quote the above guideline as reason to delete bogus logs, I'd venture most would say if you deleted a legitimate found it log because it was off topic you are some kind of control freak. I guess you could ask the logger to remove the off topic material.

If you are the cache owner and the log appears to be off topic you can delete it. The guidelines don't make it clear what to do if the log is partialy off topic. If the finder reported on his experience finding the cache and they added a bunch of stuff promoting an unrelated agenda could you delete the log? While there seem to be many people who quote the above guideline as reason to delete bogus logs, I'd venture most would say if you deleted a legitimate found it log because it was off topic you are some kind of control freak. I guess you could ask the logger to remove the off topic material.
Tricky subject as the cache itself is not allowed if it solicits, but nothing I can see in the rules or guidelines about soliciting in the logs.

This could open a very confusing door. If a cache is not allowed to solicit but logs are, could a cache owner not get a hide listed and then enter a note log stating :

THIS CACHE IS LOCATED RIGHT NEXT TO JOE'S EATERY. THE HOT WINGS ARE INCREDIBLE HERE AND THEY'RE FAST IF YOU WANT HOME DELIVERY (CALL 800-HOT-WING). THE BEER IS ALWAYS COLD AND DURING FOOTBALL SEASON THEY HAVE GREAT BUCKET SPECIALS. ASK FOR THE CURLY FRIES, TOO. AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE DAIRY CASTLE IS RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET AND THEIR CHOCOLATE THUNDER SUNDAE IS A GREAT DEAL FOR TWO!!!!

Hmmmmm......

Just to clarify. These logs are not posted on caches hidden by me. They are posted when the logger logs caches in my area so I run across them quite often.

Geocaching.com is such a professional site. It is great not to be bothered by pop-ups etc. I just thought there might be some rules about “advertising” in logs. As infiniteMPG stated, it is small step from this to advertising whatever you want at the end of every log you leave. You could certainly target a very specific audience.

I don’t want to make a big deal. I was just wondering if there were rules addressing this.

I tried to contact the person who was doing this but I got no response. (I am sure he is a fine person with nothing but good intent). I will just follow the advice in here and ignore it. (If he was not such a prolific cache finder it would be easier :( )

Edited by TillaMurphs

Just to clarify. These logs are not posted on caches hidden by me. They are posted when the logger logs caches in my area so I run across them quite often.

Geocaching.com is such a professional site. It is great not to be bothered by pop-ups etc. I just thought there might be some rules about “advertising” in logs. As infiniteMPG stated, it is small step from this to advertising whatever you want at the end of every log you leave. You could certainly target a very specific audience.

I don’t want to make a big deal. I was just wondering if there were rules addressing this.

I tried to contact the person who was doing this but I got no response. (I am sure he is a fine person with nothing but good intent). I will just follow the advice in here and ignore it. (If he was not such a prolific cache finder it would be easier :( )

If I understand correctly, these are in the Online Logs, not in the paper log books, correct?

I would say it is up to the Cache Owner, but IMO, on the scale of Spam/Advertising, these look pretty minor (especially since they appear to be advertising a caching-related activity).

Cheers

Seems that a rule against that would be nice before the issue got out of hand. What comes next? "TFTH - Want to be a better man? Try v_i_A_G_r_A from Canadian1Pharmacy.com. Cheapest prices on the web" If a spammer got a hold of a GC account they could post spam ads in logs on every cache on the GC site and other then the fact they'd be bogus logs, there is no rule to prevent it, and it would be up to individual owners to police it. And as I have seen with many caches, some owners might check their cache logs once a month or less. Unless there's already something in place to prevent that that we don't know about. Edited by infiniteMPG

If I understand correctly, these are in the Online Logs, not in the paper log books, correct?

Yes - you are correct - I run across these in the online logs.

Odd... I just looked at your most recent 20 finds (plus a few more) and didn't see a single example of that log. Could it be that the cacher went back and edited them after getting your email?

Odd... I just looked at your most recent 20 finds (plus a few more) and didn't see a single example of that log. Could it be that the cacher went back and edited them after getting your email?

To find an example, try a Google search for "Geocache Challenge Series started" site:geocaching.com and check out the second link.

Personally, I'm not bothered by it since it's all geocaching related and because it's not all copy and paste (the first half of the log entry describes the actual find). Now, if someone went around posting notes or fake finds to caches solely for the purpose of spamming links, I'd be upset.

Edited by DavidMac

To find an example, try a Google search for "Geocache Challenge Series started" site:geocaching.com and check out the second link.

OK, that brings up three hits... two are for travel bugs, and one is for an event cache. Not exactly what I'd call spam.

Edit:

OK, this brings up more hits: "A NEW COIN and NEW CACHES! For Info see:" site:geocaching.com

However, most of those are still for travellers and not caches.

Edited by knowschad

yes, the logs as you describe them are spam.

no, they are not appropriate.

you should probably ignore them. you could spoof them and poke fun at them, you could complain, you could raise awareness, but they're probably not going to stop and you probably can't do anything about it.

no point in worrying.

THIS CACHE IS LOCATED RIGHT NEXT TO JOE'S EATERY. THE HOT WINGS ARE INCREDIBLE HERE AND THEY'RE FAST IF YOU WANT HOME DELIVERY (CALL 800-HOT-WING). THE BEER IS ALWAYS COLD AND DURING FOOTBALL SEASON THEY HAVE GREAT BUCKET SPECIALS. ASK FOR THE CURLY FRIES, TOO. AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE DAIRY CASTLE IS RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET AND THEIR CHOCOLATE THUNDER SUNDAE IS A GREAT DEAL FOR TWO!!!!

Hmmmmm......

Mmmmmm......

Where is this cache? Joes's Eatery sounds great! I need directions...

Hmmmmm......

Mmmmmm......

Where is this cache? Joes's Eatery sounds great! I need directions...

Are their wings big or are they those tiny little not-really-worth-my-time wings?