Thank You, Attribute-Users

FamilySpencer

My family is just getting into geocaching, but I get the feeling we'll be involved for a long time, if for no other reason than that it provides a reason to get "out there," something we all need a reminder to do once in a while.

I wanted to offer a quick Thank You to all cache hiders who go through the trouble of setting the Attributes on their caches. We have a new baby, and knowing in advance if a cache is stroller-friendly makes it so much easier to pick out the caches we can hit during a family outing. I can only imagine those who have other accessibility issues feel the same way.

Next step, getting a baby carrier for more aggressive caching ... but for now, my "Easy Access" PQ will have to suffice.

We have often felt the same way...it's nice to know what to expect from terrain, and attributes (used correctly) are more meaningful in a way than the number rating. The terrain rating number is more arbitrary, since what is a 1.5 star to a young adult with no mobility issues may not be for an older person with osteoarthritis of the knees (for example, a paved trail with several flights of stairs in a steep park). The attribute icons can also help you narrow down the search. If you see the "may require wading" icon, don't go the day after torrential rains, and the "no poison plants" icon may serve to keep you out of the underbrush and on the trail while you search.

Attributes are great if you read the cache page, but if you go paperless, the attributes don't show up. By going paperless, it greatly reduces the need to look at the cache page online except to write your log.

I wish there was a paperless program that could include the attributes because things like "no bikes" or "not 24/7" that are important don't show up, and most cache owners (me included) don't put that info in the description.

Attributes are great if you read the cache page, but if you go paperless, the attributes don't show up.

Well, if the attribute is important enough you can include it in your PQ, but that isn't helpful if you want to have a single database of nearby caches and filter it "on the fly" as it were.

Yeah, if we're looking for specific type caches (bike friendly) or something, we'll run a PQ on those, but most of the time we just load and go with no definite plans.

Attributes are great if you read the cache page, but if you go paperless, the attributes don't show up. By going paperless, it greatly reduces the need to look at the cache page online except to write your log.

I wish there was a paperless program that could include the attributes because things like "no bikes" or "not 24/7" that are important don't show up, and most cache owners (me included) don't put that info in the description.

In all honesty, I think that cache hunters owe it to the cache owners, to the general public, to land managers, and to the environment to read the cache page before they set out! Even if you choose not to bring a printout with you, responsible caching means being aware of what is not allowed or recommended at the cache site. Cachers adhering to or ignoring rules like "not 24/7" or "no dogs" or "no difficult climbing" may mean the difference between a park allowing or banning geocaching. I'd hate to be the person who failed to look at the cache page and then headed out at 2 a.m., accompanied by my dog, to a park where pets are not allowed, and climbed that large historical oak at GZ, then caused a park-wide or city-wide ban on cache placements!

Next step, getting a baby carrier for more aggressive caching ... but for now, my "Easy Access" PQ will have to suffice.

When your babe can hold up his/her head steady and strong, then take a serious look at something like the Kelty carriers. This one is for the long haul and runs about a hundred, but their new Wallaby is only about 60 for lighter hiking.

happydadsmall.jpg

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

In all honesty, I think that cache hunters owe it to the cache owners, to the general public, to land managers, and to the environment to read the cache page before they set out! Even if you choose not to bring a printout with you, responsible caching means being aware of what is not allowed or recommended at the cache site. Cachers adhering to or ignoring rules like "not 24/7" or "no dogs" or "no difficult climbing" may mean the difference between a park allowing or banning geocaching. I'd hate to be the person who failed to look at the cache page and then headed out at 2 a.m., accompanied by my dog, to a park where pets are not allowed, and climbed that large historical oak at GZ, then caused a park-wide or city-wide ban on cache placements!

I was referring to reading the cache page online on the web. Should have made that more clear.

If we're on vacation 1000 miles away, all we'll have with us is our GPS and Palm. We usually have no idea what we're going to look for when we're at home, so we just load everything in the area and then decide when we're there.

Even reading the description may not let a finder know if dogs are allowed or the park is open 24/7. The attributes are great if you read the cache page at home on the web, but that's not always possible.

I was referring to reading the cache page online on the web. Should have made that more clear.

If we're on vacation 1000 miles away, all we'll have with us is our GPS and Palm. We usually have no idea what we're going to look for when we're at home, so we just load everything in the area and then decide when we're there.

Even reading the description may not let a finder know if dogs are allowed or the park is open 24/7. The attributes are great if you read the cache page at home on the web, but that's not always possible.

Thanks for clarifying! I agree!

I like to see attributes too. But I have seen listings that indicate "reccomended for kids" while also showing "ticks", "snakes" and "thorns". Somehow that doesn't add up in my mind. :(

Little Whistler is not worried about snakes. Ticks, eh...ticks happen. Whistler goes first to hold the thorns out of the way for LW. Not every day can be a walk in the park!

LW and Whistler leaving a cache site:

a59d126f-3924-4f57-a0f1-407f24423976.jpg

LW returning from retrieving the cache:

f2e6d7d3-594a-40bd-abbd-a231d6cbd797.jpg

LW exploring an abandonded train station near a cache:

6a82ff54-18db-4442-85b3-cdabc5965852.jpg

LW in tunnel where a cache is hidden:

328d6a9d-d927-44e1-962b-a04d605a2666.jpg

LW and Whistler in an abandonded dragline:

f66cb2f4-22b4-4a34-8339-efddd9442599.jpg

LW and Whistler on the edge:

aca9fbf8-1471-4340-b6b9-71507b1efffc.jpg

My family is just getting into geocaching, but I get the feeling we'll be involved for a long time, if for no other reason than that it provides a reason to get "out there," something we all need a reminder to do once in a while.

I wanted to offer a quick Thank You to all cache hiders who go through the trouble of setting the Attributes on their caches. We have a new baby, and knowing in advance if a cache is stroller-friendly makes it so much easier to pick out the caches we can hit during a family outing. I can only imagine those who have other accessibility issues feel the same way.

it's always great to see cachers recognize and use the attributes! they are such a handy tool and i wish more folks would put them to use!

thanks for posting about them!

I like to see attributes too. But I have seen listings that indicate "reccomended for kids" while also showing "ticks", "snakes" and "thorns". Somehow that doesn't add up in my mind. :(

Parents know their kids best and what their abilities are. The good thing about the icons is that they let each parent (and adult cacher too) decide if a cache is within their abilities.

And Livestock at restaurants? :blink:

Some of the attributes can be interpreted differently. Our son has done many caches that have the "not recommended for kids" icon. Same with "available in winter." We've seen that used for caches that are hidden on the ground under a log. 4" of snow and you can't get it out without a hammer.

But, I do find the no bikes, no 24/7, things like that very helpful. The 24/7 is helpful because some parks are open at night while others close at dusk.

Edited by Skippermark