please put GPS and paperless topics where they belong

trainlove

To clarify, a newcomer who doesn't know how to select a GPS, or which GPS will work for geocaching, is WELCOME to post here in the "Getting Started" forum. Buying a GPS is a big part of "Getting Started."

An advanced question ("How do I adjust the units of measure on my Whizzo 360's altimeter?") or detailed comparisons of several similar GPS units are examples of things best asked in the GPS and Technology forum.

The moderating team is happy to direct threads to the proper forum. Don't hesitate to ask your question, but please think about which forum would be the best place in which to ask it.

Thanks. :)

As an extreme newbie (notice the number of posts) :) I have been following the GPS posts closely. I had not even noticed the specific forum for GPS units lower down. While I will let those with more experience on these boards decide what goes where, I will take this time to thank everyone for sharing all of the great info so far. Have a great day. :)

Just don't answer question that bother you and please don't dampen the desire and spirit for newcomers to ask any question they feel a need for an answer to their question. When I first came on the forums I had many questions that I didn't know how to formulate, but, I had every question answered by very caring, more informed cachers. I was blessed....Happy trails

as a newbie, i found the technical questions in the hardware/software section to be too daunting. new people generally want simple answers to technical questions that are very much common to the experience of new players.

these questions get answered quicker and more simply here in the beginner threads.

that's what we're here for: to help new players.

**Tiptoeing through this forum so as not to raise anyone's ire.**

Seriously, I volunteer on a 'newbie' board on another (nongeocaching) site and no matter what the question, our regular posters are kind to new folks. After all, since established members leave, find other interests, get their laptop repossesed, or move to a rural area with no electricity, new members are necessary to the health of any site such as this one.

What's wrong with giving a simple answer to a technical question and then, in a polite manner, adding a link for more advanced information and letting the newbie know they are welcome to visit the other forum?

To clarify, a newcomer who doesn't know how to select a GPS, or which GPS will work for geocaching, is WELCOME to post here in the "Getting Started" forum. Buying a GPS is a big part of "Getting Started."

An advanced question ("How do I adjust the units of measure on my Whizzo 360's altimeter?") or detailed comparisons of several similar GPS units are examples of things best asked in the GPS and Technology forum.

The moderating team is happy to direct threads to the proper forum. Don't hesitate to ask your question, but please think about which forum would be the best place in which to ask it.

Thanks. :blink:

May I add that there is a pinned thread at the top of this forum called "Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions". Hesitating long enough to read that thread to see if your question might have already been answered would likely trim down the number of posts in the Getting Started forum far more than moving the GPS related discussions to another forum.

The Getting Starting thread could very much use a FAQ regarding the use of auto navigation GPS units for geocaching.