BEES.......OH MY

craazy

So I know that the ebb and flow of the geocaching community is to preserve nature however I have decided to hide my first cache and I have been told that there are bee's nests (2 of them) just a few yards away from my cache. SO my question is do I kill them or hope no one gets stung?

What are the rules on this?

I think killing the people who told you about the bees is a little extreme. Just threaten them first.

:):rolleyes::laughing:

As the 2nd finder of said cache, I didn't notice any bees at all while searching. Frankly, they come and go. Any potential risk is mine to accept.

Edit: Looking back at the log, I see the person who was there at the same time as myself posted a note about wasps. I sure didn't remember them though.

Edited by nelson crew

As a pest control Regulator for my State (on the other side of the country)

Don't do it. You could be in violation of some pest control law in your State and subject to prosecution.

As a cacher, Don't do it.

They are a necessary part of nature and threatened enough.

Place the warning on the cache page as a courtesy and let it go.

From a former beekeeper

If its out in the woods, leave it. Describe where it may be. If its in a protected log and large enough it will be there for some time. Pretty much the same with wasps.

In farmland/cities. Let the landowner know, he may not appreciate them. I kill all of the wasps around my home and property, and now if it is a beehive I let a bee farmer know and he usually will gather them and move them to a hive. Its free money to him to get a new hive...its only if he has the time.

The bees will move if you distub them greatly - do it. The cache should be free from PI, Bees, big foot, aliens, brama bulls, rattle snake , spiders, and anything that might harm someone. Getting stung is not a gentle matter for some folks and while the risks is on them for normal unknown circumstances that should not apply to what you do know. Either move the cache or the bees. Don't feel like the planet is at risk. It is your judgement that makes a cache a positive experience - so make it one. It's no fun to get hurt.

The bees will move if you distub them greatly - do it. The cache should be free from PI, Bees, big foot, aliens, brama bulls, rattle snake , spiders, and anything that might harm someone. Getting stung is not a gentle matter for some folks and while the risks is on them for normal unknown circumstances that should not apply to what you do know. Either move the cache or the bees. Don't feel like the planet is at risk. It is your judgement that makes a cache a positive experience - so make it one. It's no fun to get hurt.

Are you freaking kidding? While we're at it, let's make all caches rubber ammo cans with padded corners, and fog the forest with pesticide so that no one has to ever see a spider or a mosquito.

oh better idea... Put all caches indoors so nobody gets a sunburn.

Give me a freaking break. :unsure::)

Edited by Okiebryan

Well I left the little "bug"gers alone and added a log notice about them and hopefully no one will get stung. Also its a relatively easy cache so I upped the difficulty a point just due to the bees. So if you're in my area and want to seek the cache and possibly rile up some yellow-jackets come on down but wear your bee keeps suits

Wall-of-vines

Edited by craazy