Letterboxing

Sparticus06

First...if this is in the wrong spot mods....I apologize....did not know where to put it. Please move it if you must.

Now...I keep seeing this every once in awhile here in the forums. I have done some light reading on it and it sounds very interesting. Been tryin to find something that my wife could really get into (she is not as big on GCing as I am). As I can be an idiot sometimes, I don't get it. Maybe I need someone to sit down and explain it to me.

So riddle me this....

What exactly is it?

How do I (or my wife) get started?

And any other info would be great.

Thanks

Basically you get clues, not coordinates.

For example, a letter box description might be like this:

Start at the western most "No Parking" sign in the Sparticus Park parking lot, in Sparticus, Georgia. Take 250 paces northwest until you get to a large split oak tree. From there go 25 paces east until you reach a large willow that leans to the north. Check the base of this willow.

Paces are like steps. They vary though in letterboxing, somewhat dependant on the height and gait of the letter boxer that placed it, or at least that's been my experience. In orienteering a step or pace is more defined.

Edited by 9Key

It all started in the UK on Dartmoor (a wild windswept moorland) in the 1850's. Link here to their site.

Pure letterboxing is not supported in our geocaching game, but you can set up letterbox hybrid cache where you use a GPS to get to a location and then follow directions and instructions to find the actual cache, which must contain a stamp so finders can stamp their personal log books.

Graculus

As noted by Graculus, people who letterbox have a "stamp" which is their signature item that they stamp the logbook with. The letterbox itself also contains a stamp that the finder uses to stamp their own personal notebook, which they carry to every letterbox they find.

So, when a letterboxer finds a letterbox, they stamp their personal stamp into the letterboxes logbook as a record that they've been there, and then they use the stamp inside the letterbox (which always remains in the letterbox) to stamp their own personal notebook so they can have a record of which letterboxes they've visited.

As mentioned, there are "letterbox hybrids" which are listed on both sites. Geocachers us the coords to find the cache and letterboxers use the instructions on the letterbox site to find the "letterbox." All in all it's the same exact container, just found using different methods. The cache has a logbook that cachers and sign and letterboxers use their stamp in.

Also, wanted to add that most letterboxers carry a compass because the instructions often include bearings, plus there are different types of letterboxes, from real easy ones to real hard ones. The easy ones might be something like mentioned above where the description pretty much tells you how to get there and where to find it. But, there are harder ones too that requiring solving riddles and cryptic puzzles.

Good point. I've seen some urban letterboxes but most seem to be about the hike. If your wife likes more urban things, Waymarking may just be the ticket. If she doesn't mind hiking but wants more of a "treasure hunting" feel, letterboxing may be the way to go because you don't have a GPS simply tell you how far away from the cache you are.

As mentioned, there are "letterbox hybrids" which are listed on both sites. Geocachers us the coords to find the cache and letterboxers use the instructions on the letterbox site to find the "letterbox." All in all it's the same exact container, just found using different methods. The cache has a logbook that cachers and sign and letterboxers use their stamp in.

Not entirely true. Letterbox/hybrids are not required to be listed on both sites. The last guidelines that I read on letterbox/hybrids require that a GPS be used somewhere along the line, but letterbox clues are permitted. (They're much more fun that way!) And, letterbox/hybrids are required to have a stamp. Cachers are permitted to stamp the cache log, if they have their own stamp. (Though I usually stamp and sign.)

I figure that letterboxes are easier, because I've found five or seven whilst hunting for regular caches. :anibad:

Letterboxing isn't always about the "hunt" for the hiding place, a lot of the times it is just about being outside, going to a new place that you haven't gone to before. And when you find the box, the stamp is the real prize, seeing the craftsmanship (or even lack there of) is a huge part of the fun. We really enjoy looking through the logbooks at all of the handcarved stamps, seeing where people come from and reading the little notes that people write - I have read some hilarious anecdotes about what people have gone through to find that box. Sometimes you'll luck out and find directions or clues to another nearby box that wasn't listed on the site.

And just to clarify, I'm not knocking geocaching, i really enjoy the sport. I'm just pointing out some differences.