Groundspeak Forums... delete double posts? Please....

infiniteMPG

I know this isn't about the GC website but it is about the Forums. Is there any way to please, please, please, PUH-lease find a way to delete double posts rather then just edit them to say "double post"? I am test running the new Google Chrome browser and when I was trying to post a message in the forums I got some odd error message, I tried refreshing a couple times with no luck, then tried going back and got error messages. Then when I finally went back into the thread I found FIVE (5) copies of my post had been entered. Unfortunately without any way to delete a copy I had to just edit them to say "double post", etc.

If there's any wish list out there for the Forums, deleting double posts gets my vote to be pushed up a few notches on the priority ladder.

I have come to recognize when it is "timing out" or whatever happens - I just let it finish its thing without any refreshes or clicking back or submit again. I just open another tab and continue through the forums. You wan't find any double posts from me out there for at least 2 years......

Here here. I do exactly what StarBrand said. No double posting from me either.

My suggestion? Let others be the test subjects for Google Chrome. Beta testers should be prepared for errors and issues. If you are not ready for that, then don't be a beta tester. I'll just stick to Firefox and continue to be happy as a puppy with a pallet of milkbones.

Please do not ever ever delete double posts.

But perhaps do delete the double threads.

And perhaps please delete those threads that have a sucject but the creator of that topic's message does not exist.

When reading things like the 777+ replies to the Release notes and mentioning post #'s, those references would get all screwed up. And yes one could say to use the URL but that's such an ungainly thing.

Instead, please contact the creator of the forum software and get him to fix the double post bug that's completely repeatable. Another thing might fix that too but there are posts about that all over these Groundspeak web site forums so I won't mention it. P.S. Last time I mentioned exactly how to repeat the issue I was banned from the forums for a few days, and that reply with that infomration was deleted.

I'm not sure about how to repeat the double thread issue, that has not happened to me.

The third bug that seems to pop up and might be related to this issue is the new threads that have no initial post from the creator of that topic. We forum repliers have to guess what his question is.

A fourth bug that is not related to this at all is that the number of replies to a post is mostly always 1 short of what's shown when on eopens up a thread.

A fifth bug, seemed to have happened only once in all of the history of the Groundspeak forums, is that sometimes the last poster to a topic does not show up when one looks at the whole list of threads. Well I know it happened to me once and the poster prior to my last reply to a topic 2 months ago still seems to be the last poster to that topic. An image of that, captured today, is shown below.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=198423&hl= and

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=196247

Oh, I think I have to say this; please do not take my tone and wording such as "but please..." to be orders telling you what you have to do. It's a suggection of what I think needs to be done.

d665323b-b108-4346-a2eb-2f864d2188c6.jpg

Please do not ever ever delete double posts. When reading things like the 777+ replies to the Release notes and mentioning post #'s, those references would get all screwed up. And yes one could say to use the URL but that's such an ungainly thing.
Didn't think of that. True. True. I guess it's more a training thing, but with multiple tabs in either Chrome or IE7 I often submit a post and then click to another tab and do something else while waiting. Then when I get back to it there's some browser error displayed, or a time out error, or some server error. I refresh thinking my post will pop back up, which it does, and often in the pre-posted state. If I click ADD REPLY again it does just that, posts again. With Chrome it gave me new errors and I was trying to click the BACK button and getting different errors, then clicking FORWARD and getting errors not realizing it was posting a new message each time in the background.

The problem is also sometimes I forget if I hit ADD REPLY or PREVIEW POST and I got an error so I'm worried if I browse away from the site I might loose my typing. So I have gotten to the point of highlighting all my text and CTRL+C to the clipboard before hitting ADD REPLY just in case it bombs.

Can't give up on Chrome now. The browser actually checks spelling as I type in ANY window on ANY site (including here) and I am a terrible speller ;)

Yeah, I follow StarBrand's method, though I haven't had a timeout in ages. If it does seem to have screwed up, I just back up to the original message, refresh, and see if it worked. It would be bad if I had a long-winded reply, but I've only had that issue once, to my recollection.

A fifth bug, seemed to have happened only once in all of the history of the Groundspeak forums, is that sometimes the last poster to a topic does not show up when one looks at the whole list of threads. Well I know it happened to me once and the poster prior to my last reply to a topic 2 months ago still seems to be the last poster to that topic. An image of that, captured today, is shown below.

This is repeatable on my system. I've tried cleaning out cookies and all temp files to no avail. The only ways I can resolve it is to shut down the current session and start a new one or sometimes, I can close the topic and open it at the page level rather than last new posted to get it to fix itself. It's very annoying.