COINTEST: Todies Wild Ride!

Rockin Roddy

:) Is that Rod without the proper attire. :) .

Riders face more hazards than drivers, so PLEASE give them more room!

Yep, sure is!! On the bike I motorized no less!! That's a Schwinn pedal bike made to go 40mph and get 160 mpg!! I was posing for a pic, my wonderpooch was in the picture I thought!! We made two of these, had offers from several prospective buyers, but never made anything of it!

I rode that thing around 3000 miles in the first year before buying the motorcycle. KAboom still has it, but hasn't had it on the road at all this year. Believe it or not, I mainly got fair "respect" when I was on the road! Oh, and I ALWAYS wore a helmet!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Thanks! Just thought I'd have a little fun here and took the chance of using the photo without getting permission from you. :) I took the closeup picture of the bike in photo two and took out the pooch in photo one!

Are we getting tired of the fun yet? Should I open this to all? Will wait a bit longer and make the decision!! no schoole today, guess what I have in mind to do???? :unsure:

Bad time for the Jeep to need service though, roads are bad out there!! This is the 3rd time the rear end has needed fixed! No, I'm not exactly gentle with that Jeep. I asked when I bought it if the "Trail Rated" emblem was for decoration or was true...and was told it was trail ready. It does take some abuse, but the rear seems to be the weak link! lol I'm in a mini-van loaner right now....YIKES!!!

Will check this before heading out and again when we return. Having 500 caches loaded on the new PN-40 (along with full cache description...paperless, got to love that) means caching whenever I want!!!!

Are we getting tired of the fun yet? Should I open this to all? Will wait a bit longer and make the decision!! no schoole today, guess what I have in mind to do???? :blink:

Bad time for the Jeep to need service though, roads are bad out there!! This is the 3rd time the rear end has needed fixed! No, I'm not exactly gentle with that Jeep. I asked when I bought it if the "Trail Rated" emblem was for decoration or was true...and was told it was trail ready. It does take some abuse, but the rear seems to be the weak link! lol I'm in a mini-van loaner right now....YIKES!!!

Will check this before heading out and again when we return. Having 500 caches loaded on the new PN-40 (along with full cache description...paperless, got to love that) means caching whenever I want!!!!

WOW! Can't wait to open this for all!!! :D Just kiding!!!! :unsure:

good luck out there!!! :)

Rod, Sorry to hear about the limping Jeep! I had a 2000 Wrangler that was back at the dealer a few times with a rear differential problem while it was under warranty. The Differentials are certainly the "weak link" Finally when it was out of warranty I replaced the front and rear differentials with some strong aftermarket ones and never had ANY problem after that. I'm not sure why they failed on me being I live in central Florida where the usual off roading consisted of sand or mud but it still seemed to let me down a few times.

Also my Garmin 60csx has been a great unit for me but I would love to upgrade. Did you consider the Garmin oregon when you got the new Delorme? I have read some posts about both but did any one thing make you choose the Delorme over the Garmin? Any input would help me in my decision.

Edited by Team CeDo

Rod, Sorry to hear about the limping Jeep! I had a 2000 Wrangler that was back at the dealer a few times with a rear differential problem while it was under warranty. The Differentials are certainly the "weak link" Finally when it was out of warranty I replaced the front and rear differentials with some strong aftermarket ones and never had ANY problem after that. I'm not sure why they failed on me being I live in central Florida where the usual off roading consisted of sand or mud but it still seemed to let me down a few times.

Also my Garmin 60csx has been a great unit for me but I would love to upgrade. Did you consider the Garmin oregon when you got the new Delorme? I have read some posts about both but did any one thing make you choose the Delorme over the Garmin? Any input would help me in my decision.

Two things really steered me to the DeLorme. First, price...the Oregon is something like $600 or so while the DeLorme was a much cheaper $300 or so!! The Oregon comes with the maps and such (I think, not overly sure of this), but the DeLorme has capability for aerial imagery, NOAA charts, Sat imagery etc. Plus, I looked at the Oregon and thought it looked a little "dainty" for caching...I'd hate to drop one of those things for fear it'd screw it up. Now, the DeLorme is one solid and rugged unit!!

Second, I am not one to buy merely for name and I fear that the Oregon (while likely a good unit) is priced high merely because of the Garmin name! I'd not buy a Harley merely to own the name...I didn't in fact!! I've seen a lot of people in the GPS forums tell others that Garmin is the GPS GC.com recommends...really?? Garmin bought the rights to link up with easy downloads, but I doubt it was for any other reason that they are associated with GC.com (Jeremy might be a Garmin user, but I doubt he'd endorse one brand over another simply because of his preferences, I could be wrong). DeLorme also does the downloads with ease, so that argument didn't hold water for me!

Both the DeLorme and the Oregon are using the same chipset for sat reception, both have problems receiving WAAS (some will, some have to be worked with, it's spotty...DeLorme is addressing the problems, not sure how important it is to Garmin), don't let a salesman tell you any BS about this!! DeLorme has a very nice forums with answers for any problems you might encounter, and there are MANY people in there waiting to lend a hand!! I couldn't figure out the PQ downloading and posted a note...a response came within minutes. I asked about some other things and have had help very rapidly...and some high ups at DeLorme are in there helping as well!! Now, Garmin might have forums too, but I haven't heard of them.

Email me and I'll send you a link to the Amazon sales page (I had mine ordered through Amazon), talk about a wealth of info!! I did try to compare it to the Oregon, but was soon disinterested in the Oregon, it wasn't in my price range and didn't really seem to have the toys the DeLorme has. I got my unit with the help of a friend, payments are low and I was given freedom to buy what I wanted...I still didn't want the Garmin!

Also, ease of use!! The DeLorme is unbelievably simple to use!!! I loaded all of Michigan onto the unit (which comes with a 1gig SD card) with a mere click of the button! I know I can load ALL of the USA maps on the unit the same way, and then would never need to manually swich between maps, it's all there and in use at all times. Not sure if the Garmin is the same way, but I know I hated having to switch from map to map with my Maggie...and that was for snippets of Michigan too!! Loading PQs and caches is sooo simple, I am confident I can do this any time (I had a hard time with this on the Maggie, even after doing it a few times...go figure). Both the Oregon and the DeLorme are paperless, but is the Oregon auto-routing right out of the box??? I think you'd have to buy more maps for that (could be wrong, but I don't think so). DeLorme will also auto-route trails!!

Since I haven't owned an Oregon, I can only give my perceptions. But for the money?? Oh, and my PN-40 is FAST!! Seamless mapping, quick routing...nice! It has a dual processor which is lightening quick! The DeLorme owner's manual is about an inch thick, but I have yet to even read it (except to figure out loading of PQs...I have been to page 12 lol) I know the info is there should I need it, but I don't think I need it!!

Like I said, I had freedom to order anything, my friend would have helped me with the Oregon if I wanted it. I didn't!! Oh, and one last thing...DeLorme offers an SE model of the PN-40...this model has an 8gig internal memory...WOW!! It also comes complete with chargeable batteries, charger, and some other goodies and is STILL cheaper then the Oregon!! You have to buy through the DeLorme site, for this model and I think you get some "parting gifts" as well if you do!!

I was checking out the DeLorme. I would love to have one of those. Hoping my Magellan holds out a little longer. It is not feeling too good lately. My eTrex gave up the ghost a long time ago. That DeLorme seems very nice. Wish I knew some one around here that has one, would like to check it out my self.

I was checking out the DeLorme. I would love to have one of those. Hoping my Magellan holds out a little longer. It is not feeling too good lately. My eTrex gave up the ghost a long time ago. That DeLorme seems very nice. Wish I knew some one around here that has one, would like to check it out my self.

DeLorme has said a new update is just arounfd the corner and many problems will be solved then! Also, they plan on having some SWEET features included.

Sparticus, check out the Amazon site for a great price ($309 I think) for the PN-40...good deal! I personally am loving my unit, but I haven't had the time to check it out thoroughly yet either!! I doubt my view of it will change though, it's a nice unit...very solid!!

Can' wait for the updates!!

OK....let's open this to our friends everywhere!!

ANYONE CAN POST!!!!!

DeLorme has said a new update is just arounfd the corner and many problems will be solved then! Also, they plan on having some SWEET features included.

Sparticus, check out the Amazon site for a great price ($309 I think) for the PN-40...good deal! I personally am loving my unit, but I haven't had the time to check it out thoroughly yet either!! I doubt my view of it will change though, it's a nice unit...very solid!!

Can' wait for the updates!!

OK....let's open this to our friends everywhere!!

ANYONE CAN POST!!!!!

ANYONE CAN POST!!!!!

Even me Rod? Ok Woof Woof Woof!

Yep, even you Riley!!

Yippee! Now I don't have to whine to use the computer!!!

PS Watch out for dogs too.....

BTW Mom wants a full demo of that Delorme...