Cache placement questions

coltillini

We are getting ready to hide our first cache.In the regulations,it said something about distance between caches being 528 ft. Is this written in stone? Our first hide would be near another members cache. Does glass hold up under tough conditions? We have some very old glass pill bottles, perfect for hides.

We are getting ready to hide our first cache.In the regulations,it said something about distance between caches being 528 ft. Is this written in stone? Our first hide would be near another members cache. Does glass hold up under tough conditions? We have some very old glass pill bottles, perfect for hides.

I would check with your reviewer and give them the coords for your cache, they will tell you if it you can place it where you are thinking. As to a glass container, although it may be water tight it's only one "drop" away from being history. I'd consider something like the lock-n-lock containers instead.

I agree, email your reviewer with the COORDS.

My best advice is, locate your local reviewer and save their email.

When you want to place a cache, send them the COORDS and get the OK first then place it.

Most reviewers have their own distance they stand on but use the 528' as the RULE.

Best to send the reviewer a nice note and you will get much farther.

If the cache is say 300' away, I seriously doubt you will get any reviewer to publish it.

----

As to containers. I use a few different types.

Ammo Cans

LockNLock's (dollar store cheap)

Matchsafes (cheap at Walmart '89cents')

Decon Containers

Bison Tubes

Nano (buttons)

I wouldn't use glass because it allows light in.

We are getting ready to hide our first cache.In the regulations,it said something about distance between caches being 528 ft. Is this written in stone?..

Writ in stone? No. It's merely penciled in, on stone. There is some flexability, less so, the more you encroach into the 528' bubble. I've made a case for 300 or so feet once and was commended on making a great case and told no just the same as it was too close for the exception.

First, the glass container. I would discourage those, if they break they don't degrade. To get rid of them, try a flea market.

I could see the cache getting published only if there were extenuating circumstances that you could prove to the reviewer. Opposite sides of a river with no convenient way across maybe.

It is not written in stone, but if you are going to place one closer than 528 feet from another cache you'd better have a good reason. "Because I want to" is not a good reason.

Also, it will help your case if there is some sort of natural or man made barrier between the caches. A cliff, an unfordable river, a 6 lane divided highway, a 15 ft high wall, etc.