Event rejection

Foinavon

Its not been rejected by a reviewer. The pub turned me down! I was quite surprised that you can offer someone 30 odd customers and they will turn you down. The sticking point was that they wanted exact numbers and you can't do that for an event! I organised my first (and so far only) event in June, I chose my local and they were very keen. I work in Cheshire and other than Hazel's events there aren't many over here so I wanted one in this area. I just assumed they would do it without any problem. Has anyone else ever been spurned like this? Any tips for approaching pubs? :ph34r: At what stage do you mention geocaching? Even though we think its much more mainstream I think that most people in the UK have never heard of it!

We got turned down by The Black Dog in Belmont (I'm sure the OP knows of it). The funny thing is that I had asked because I knew that some bikers held meets there, so I assumed the landlord would be up for it.

The reason I was turned down was that they had just taken over running the pub, and were trying to make it a bit more upmarket. The idea of a load of people trooping in off the moors didnt appeal. I should point out for those not local to here, that this particular village is conveniently nestled between several local moors, so I don't know what customers they were aiming for exactly :ph34r:

I have never been turned away, but one tried to charge us, and one could not guarantee anything because they were going to renovated but did not know when.

Thinking about it there was one that did turn me down, but they had just had a fire so I will forgive them. I would use them now apart from the fact they have started charging for parking. You can get the money back if you spend so much, but it is just so inconvenient.

The Binfield Cache Bash is positively welcomed by the pub where it is held. Nobody goes to Binfield on a Bank Holiday, so they get 30+ people buying food and drink and having a great time, whereas they would have had a handful of locals otherwise. And the locals still come when we are there.

They give us their menu and ask that we supply, as best we are able, details of who wants what so that they can buy in what they need, and organise the cooking.

Great!

I host the quarterly events that the OP is referring to, and the last one we held, in May turned us down as they said they would be too busy to cater for 20 - 30 people all wanting meals.

We turned up anyway!!

I wrote and complained and the manager was most apologetic, seems that 2 girls that were working that night fancied a quiet night and so said they wouldn't be able to host us...

I've been told we're MORE than welcome...

Madness that somewhere would turn down a guarenteed income in this economic decline!

easy option is dont ask the pub, just publish it and all turn up

If you don't require special accomodations that's a good solution. It's how pubs work already.

I've been to an event where this happened. The pub wasn't expecting a large group so there were no spare tables and the pub simply could not accomodate the people who turned up. Most of the meet was held in the car park of the pub in the end.

If you don't require special accomodations that's a good solution. It's how pubs work already.

I did that once, and there were probably about 30 or 40 of us at a quiet pub. The lady behind the bar said that if she'd known we'd be turning up she'd have got another member of staff in that evening, but as it was we just waited a little bit longer for drinks than we might have done. Imagine if two other groups had decided to descend on that same pub that same night unannounced though! Probably best to find a pub that has a function room and is able to staff the place sufficiently.

I did that once, and there were probably about 30 or 40 of us at a quiet pub. The lady behind the bar said that if she'd known we'd be turning up she'd have got another member of staff in that evening, but as it was we just waited a little bit longer for drinks than we might have done. Imagine if two other groups had decided to descend on that same pub that same night unannounced though! Probably best to find a pub that has a function room and is able to staff the place sufficiently.

We could try that for that event next August?

I'd say it would only be courteous to warn a pub you're coming, but rather than word it 'would it be ok if...' go for 'Just letting you know I'll be bringing...' and let them offer some reason to refuse the business, if that's what they want to do. If they've genuine reasons not to want you there (there's been a fire, there are only 4 seats, the manageress has scrofula, etc.) they'll be doing you a favour by saying no. They might even suggest a better location close by.

Edited by Simply Paul