help, what do i need to go paperless?

rocket_dog

i have one of the etrex garmins, i use a mac and/or a pc and i wanna go paperless..what do i need to do? or can it be done with my unit at all?

Get a Palm PDA or Pocket PC and load Cachemate onto it. You can store thousands of caches and their logs and update them weekly with Pocket Queries if you are a Premium member. You can get them on eBay very cheaply. Works fine for me.

i have one of the etrex garmins, i use a mac and/or a pc and i wanna go paperless..what do i need to do? or can it be done with my unit at all?

Get a Palm PDA or Pocket PC and load Cachemate onto it. You can store thousands of caches and their logs and update them weekly with Pocket Queries if you are a Premium member. You can get them on eBay very cheaply. Works fine for me.

What is a pocket queries? I have a Palm treo with cachmate on it. right now I just type the info in. I understand that if I become a premium member I would be able to transfer it automatically to my palm? how is this done through a hot sync or something?

What is a pocket queries? I have a Palm treo with cachmate on it. right now I just type the info in. I understand that if I become a premium member I would be able to transfer it automatically to my palm? how is this done through a hot sync or something?

A Pocket Query or PQ is a search you do on Geocaching.com for all caches in an area that meet criteria you want, for example you may only want certain types of cache (only traditional, no multis) or those with easy terrain or certain attributes (I just grab the lot!). You can only get a max of 500 on each PQ. Then you need a program to handle this file and convert it to different types to load into your GPS or PDA. I use GSAK - Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (only $15). It will export a file for Cachemate that you just copy to your PDA. There is a new macro for GSAK specifically to create a 'native' file for Cachemate that works so much faster than the normal GSAK export. It's called 'cachemateppc' by Big Wolf and you'll find it here along with loads of others http://gsak.net/board/MacroIndex.php.

Have fun!

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

A Pocket Query or PQ is a search you do on Geocaching.com for all caches in an area that meet criteria you want, for example you may only want certain types of cache (only traditional, no multis) or those with easy terrain or certain attributes (I just grab the lot!). You can only get a max of 500 on each PQ. Then you need a program to handle this file and convert it to different types to load into your GPS or PDA. I use GSAK - Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (only $15). It will export a file for Cachemate that you just copy to your PDA. There is a new macro for GSAK specifically to create a 'native' file for Cachemate that works so much faster than the normal GSAK export. It's called 'cachemateppc' by Big Wolf and you'll find it here along with loads of others http://gsak.net/board/MacroIndex.php.

Have fun!

Chris (MrB)

Perfect, just perfect. Thanks for the help

Have fun!

Chris (MrB)

Perfect, just perfect. Thanks for the help

You need to be a premium member to get pocket querys.