Virtual Caches no longer accepted.

I just wanted to say thanks to the guy who brought this thread back up to the top so that we can all re-live the worst cyber ^** whoopin I ever took.

There is a reason that I don't post here. I am happy to find caches on my own. I like the hobbie but don't need the drama.

Seriously. That wasn't bad at all!! Glad you're still here and reading though, if you rarely post.

This was posted in another thread the other day. I think it's pretty funny. Maybe it will cheer you up. :)

welcometotheforums.jpg

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Waymarking.com is unused, I would not bother posting something there. No one else seems to log finds there either. The community at large does not use it, so it is useless to the community.

Earthcaches ARE virtual caches, no logbook to sign. The 'exam' part, I have yet to see one that requires actual knowledge or research, basically a pic of you there is all that is needed.

There is an earthcache less than a mile from home that has this as an "exam question". Find a fossil and take a photo of it with your GPS. I was tempted to send a picture of myself holding my GPS but found a real fossil in about five minutes.

Waymarking.com is unused, I would not bother posting something there. No one else seems to log finds there either. The community at large does not use it, so it is useless to the community.

Earthcaches ARE virtual caches, no logbook to sign. The 'exam' part, I have yet to see one that requires actual knowledge or research, basically a pic of you there is all that is needed.

There is an earthcache less than a mile from home that has this as an "exam question". Find a fossil and take a photo of it with your GPS. I was tempted to send a picture of myself holding my GPS but found a real fossil in about five minutes.

There's a story behind that. :) I own one of the "oldest" Earthcaches. Placed in early 2005. Then after about a year or so, TPTB decided new Earthcaches we're going to be listed only on Waymarking.com, but the ones placed in that one year were going to be Grandfathered, and allowed to stay on Geocaching.com. Then after about another year, they decided to list them all on Geocaching.com again. The people with Grandfathered ones were made to come up with an "exam question". I believe the proper term is "task". Many a 2005 Earthcache whose owner didn't come up with an exam question were archived.

That's probably hard to follow. But the point is I suppose that the "exam question" is a requirement for an Earthcache.

TheWhiteUrkel, Thanks for the photo. I thought it was hilarious. :D

As for cyber @__ beatings if you want to see where I was nearly threatened with death you should go to the very green and, highly moral in their own eyes. www.cleanmpg.com.

I told the greenies that we weren't killing the planet. Then I told them to do a google search for "Oil is a natural renewable resource". It turns out that there are some scientists that believe that it actually might be renewable. Everybody there pissed green pee down their legs. Even the owner of the forum suggested that I back my tailpipe up to my house and leave the car running. :) It got weird. I still post there once in a while because it is actually an interesting website and it is sort of a sport for me now.

In reality my life is so busy and I only have so much time to surf the net replying to forums. I have two that I go to regularly and that is about all I care to spend my time on.

As for cyber @__ beatings if you want to see where I was nearly threatened with death you should go to the very green and, highly moral in their own eyes. www.cleanmpg.com.

I told the greenies that we weren't killing the planet. Then I told them to do a google search for "Oil is a natural renewable resource". It turns out that there are some scientists that believe that it actually might be renewable. Everybody there pissed green pee down their legs. Even the owner of the forum suggested that I back my tailpipe up to my house and leave the car running. :) It got weird. I still post there once in a while because it is actually an interesting website and it is sort of a sport for me now.

In reality my life is so busy and I only have so much time to surf the net replying to forums. I have two that I go to regularly and that is about all I care to spend my time on.

Oh, try usenet. I received death threats and was stalked for months by a couple of whack jobs. Actually, some poor guy who they wildly suspected of being me received death threats, but I digress. I will check out the forum you referenced. Was this virtual cache in Iowa? The world's 2nd most popular (but still way behind) geocaching website still accepts virtuals, and is more popular in Iowa than most places.

I told the greenies that we weren't killing the planet. Then I told them to do a google search for "Oil is a natural renewable resource". It turns out that there are some scientists that believe that it actually might be renewable. Everybody there pissed green pee down their legs. Even the owner of the forum suggested that I back my tailpipe up to my house and leave the car running. :blink: It got weird. I still post there once in a while because it is actually an interesting website and it is sort of a sport for me now.

Like most things the reality is somewhere between "it's the end of the world" and "everything couldn't be better" Personally I looked into some of the scientist claiming oil is renewable and a lot of them are 1) not experts in a field related to oil exploration 2) being paid by oil companies. From reading Scientific American (usually a reliable source) it seems we're not running out of oil anytime soon but we might be running out of oil that's easy to get. Northern Canada, for examples has huge oil deposits, but it's mixed with a type of sand that isn't easy to separate.

I just wanted to say thanks to the guy who brought this thread back up to the top so that we can all re-live the worst cyber ^** whoopin I ever took.

There is a reason that I don't post here. I am happy to find caches on my own. I like the hobbie but don't need the drama.

Whoopin?

Aw, cmon relax.

That wasn't an actual whoopin, it wasn't even a virtual whoopin...

I modeled it after a cache that I had a lot of fun finding. After spending a couple of hours preparing it I found out that this website no longer accepts virtual caches.

That's why it pays to read the guidelines before trying to list a cache. Had you done so you would have knownthis before you put in hours of work.

Anyway, you make it sound like this is news. Starting in early 2003 it became nearly impossible to get one published and they were officially canned 2 years ago.

If you take the time to explore it you'll see that Waymarking.com is the perfect repository for what we called virtual caches. For those who enjoy virtuals, there are nearly 125,000 of them now.

When you think about it, what is the difference between this and this , or this and this, or this and this

or this and this.

Waymarking is actually better in some respects because places like this, this and this would never have been allowed as virtuals.

One reason I like it, is because it will add to my "Numbers" of caches found. Waymarking doesn't! LOL

TGC