Air travel

Dittersfeet

Nope...never had anyone blink at my GPSr or any of the TBs I've carried back and forth. As Arf pointed out, if your TB was a "questionable" item, you may get stopped for that.

Otherwise, the GPSr is just one more piece of electronic equipment that they see all the time.

Never a problem. I've taken GPSr units into Germany, Russia and South Africa. Travel bugs always go in the carryon because I would hate to lose one.

Never a problem. I've taken GPSr units into Germany, Russia and South Africa. Travel bugs always go in the carryon because I would hate to lose one.

I always carry on my GPSr. Haven't flown since I learned about geocaching but I would carry on any travelers I had.

Was reading the logs of a travel bug I found a few months ago. It had been "discovered" by one of the people who search checked bags.

Some airlines even allow you to use them while you're flying!

Just make sure and check before you fire it up. You can either look in the back of the in flight magazine or just ask a flight attendant.

If memory serves me correctly (a perilous assumption) American doesn't allow them, but Delta does.

update:

I checked - here's the quote from the Delta site:

-----------------------

"You can use these while the plane is at the gate with the doors open, after the plane has taken off and reached its cruising altitude and before it begins to descend for landing, and after the plane has landed and is taxiing to the gate.

Personal digital assistants

Personal computer games

GPS (global positioning satellite) systems "

-------------------------

and from American's:

"During flight, never use cell phones (to make or receive calls), two-way pagers, radios, TV sets, remote controls (example: DVD, CD, game, or toy remote controls), a cordless computer mouse, commercial TV cameras, or Global Positioning Systems."

Edited by EEeee!

I went on vacation in KY last month, had no problem taking the GPSr on the plane in my carry-on. However, during the little "safety lecture" that you always get, the attendants did include it in the list of items you are NOT allowed to use at any time during the flight. It's also listed in their rules in one of the booklets/mags in the seatback pouches. This was on American Airlines, may be different on other carriers.

I would add that, in my opinion, you should never, ever, put your electronics in checked baggage. I have a laptop case that is large enough to hold the laptop, 2 GPSrs, PDA, numerous cords and power supplies, and my trip paperwork. It's worth more than me.

I flew American once with a GPSr. I did not see any info when checking on line, so I asked the flight attendant when boarding. They said OK above 10,000 feet. As I deplaned, the pilot asked how well it worked so we chatted for a few seconds. Oh well, later I found that they did not allow inflight use.

I never had a problem until my last flight...

We took US Airways from Columbus, OH to Portland, ME via Dulles airport, DC. No problem.

On the return flights, I had it on my lap by the window almost the entire flight from ME to DC. As we were over Long Island, the attendant saw it and told me I had to turn it off and put it away. I explained it was only a receiver and transmitted NOTHING and was not listed in the airline magazine as being banned. She insisted so I did as she asked.

In the seat behind me was a female US Airways pilot coming to DC to work another flight. She confirmed the policy and asked to see my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. She looked for the FCC rating, but didn't see one. She didn't know why they were not allowed.

Since that trip, I've found several websites that list airlines that do or do not allow GPSr's to be operated in the cruise portion of a flight. See http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

I wish they would establish an industry wide policy.

BB54

Edited by BigBill54