Swag and the like

what constitutes "good" swag? I've read various posts about people being disgruntled at what they found. This bothers me because personally it's the hunt and not whats in it that is important to ME. Anyhow, we're planning our first regular cache adn we want to know what people would like to find in it before we hide.

Also - a FTF prize? I told someone in our first hide, we had a karate patch - kind of going along with the whole ninja name and belt themed caches we're hiding and their opinion was it was a chintzy cheesey FTF prize and that other people leave cash.

Um? Cash? seriously, how much? Are we just being cheap here at ninja central?

Thanks in advance.

what constitutes "good" swag? I've read various posts about people being disgruntled at what they found. This bothers me because personally it's the hunt and not whats in it that is important to ME. Anyhow, we're planning our first regular cache adn we want to know what people would like to find in it before we hide.

Also - a FTF prize? I told someone in our first hide, we had a karate patch - kind of going along with the whole ninja name and belt themed caches we're hiding and their opinion was it was a chintzy cheesey FTF prize and that other people leave cash.

Thanks in advance.

I figure any adult who is going to a cache to get stuff they REALLY want is in the wrong hobby. I tend to focus my swag more at the kids, but do try to throw in some decent adult things too.

Some things I've placed:

For kids, cars, chalk, action figures, stickers, etc.

For adults, off wipes, mini-fans, small flashlights, ponchos, carabiners, usb cables

And yes, I know there's overlap in those audiences.

I tend to NOT include a FTF prize since I figure the joy of signing the logbook first is your prize. Anything beyond that is just your bonus. I put a confederate bullet in a civil war theme once and have done geocoins and TB tags too. But like I said..usually I don't bother with an FTF prize.

I think a karate patch would be great with your name and theme.

what constitutes "good" swag?

Unactivated geocoin for FTF maybe?

Unopened dollar store items, new toys, signature items, and a ton of other stuff. What do you like to find in caches?

Unactivated geocoin is a great idea - however we cache on a total budget :unsure: that's why we started geocaching to begin with a fun activity that didn't cost us any money (we borrowed our first gps) so things like geocoins and travel bugs aren't an option for us right now.

The only "cash" I've ever seen as a FTF prize was a few caches with a gold-colored US dollar coin.

The only "prize" true FTF hounds look for is a nice, clean, white log book.

If you really want to leave a prize, here are some ideas:

- Unregistered geocoin is probably my favorite

- Gift certificate to a nearby business, or a business you like

- If it's a theme cache, a nicer themed item than the rest of the swag

- Your old GPS receiver after you buy the new Garmin Colorado

- Your old Garmin Colorado after you buy the new Garmin Alabama (see 4th post)

(see 4th post)

can you do this? The ninjas (kenpo kid and karate girl) wanted to leave passes for one month's free lessons where they take karate, but I didn't know if that violated this rule:

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion

(see 4th post)

can you do this? The ninjas (kenpo kid and karate girl) wanted to leave passes for one month's free lessons where they take karate, but I didn't know if that violated this rule:

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion

That guideline is only related to the placing of the cache, not what others put inside.

As far as the OP's question, I'd say anything that is likely to be useful to someone else is appropriate.

Edited by briansnat

what constitutes "good" swag?

Unactivated geocoin for FTF maybe?

Unopened dollar store items, new toys, signature items, and a ton of other stuff. What do you like to find in caches?

Unactivated geocoin is a great idea - however we cache on a total budget :D that's why we started geocaching to begin with a fun activity that didn't cost us any money (we borrowed our first gps) so things like geocoins and travel bugs aren't an option for us right now.

You actually suggested cash yourself! In stead of a geocoin, then maybe a $20 bill???

(see 4th post)

Commercial Caches

I don't think anyone would be offended by a couple of free passes or coupons...now, if the ONLY thing in your cache is 100 free passes, people might think that was a tad commercial.

In the Maritimes a popular FTF prize is "A Tim's on me." (Meaning a Tim Horton's dollar to buy a coffee) I'd like to encourage everyone to think about what they place in a cache by watching "The Story of Stuff" www.storyofstuff.com

It'll make you think twice about what's appropriate swag...I'm certainly thinking about it a lot more now.

can you do this? The ninjas (kenpo kid and karate girl) wanted to leave passes for one month's free lessons where they take karate

I would only do this as an FTF prize if they dont cost you anything. Most of the cachers I know wouldn't be interested and I think you'd find it disappointing if the passes were not taken till the 10th visitor - or taken by someone that has no intentions of ever using them.

For an FTF prize, stick to something universally useful/desirable or dont worry about a specific FTF prize. I think it's a completely optional part of the game and there is no expectation that a new cache will contain an FTF prize. As people have said above, the blank log is generally sufficient for a FTF hound.

thanks to everyone who weighed in with an opinion. We decided to stick with the karate patches for our first to find prize. Two of our caches have been found by friends who also study karate so the patches were no biggie to them, but a third one was found by a non karate person, and they said they really loved the patch :huh: so i'm all happy.

Thanks in advance.

IMO. You received the opinion from someone looking to take and not give.

My very first, second and third FTF prize... Take one trade item as a freebie

My fourth is a bit different only because I finally came up with an idea that

melds well into my signature items.

This cache has the bent flask for FTF (just kidding - I wasn't smart enough

to keep it when I got home). The FTF prize that's waiting is below:

Redemption%20GC1EAMP%20FTF%20.jpg

In the Maritimes a popular FTF prize is "A Tim's on me." (Meaning a Tim Horton's dollar to buy a coffee) I'd like to encourage everyone to think about what they place in a cache by watching "The Story of Stuff" www.storyofstuff.com

It'll make you think twice about what's appropriate swag...I'm certainly thinking about it a lot more now.

wow, im so glad someone else brought this up. Im still kinda new to this but I LOVE this film. I really think it plays alot into my thought of what I take and leave.

I thought that made me not normal....