KayakerinME geocaching geocoin for sale at auction

wigoweb

When this really nice set of five coins came out, we were just getting started with geocoins. After several friendly emails we struck a deal and swapped some coins for the set of five. In the bargain, we were given a second set to put out as travelers.

We waited until we were on a trip and released the five coins in five different states. As far as we know, four of them are still traveling from cache to cache and one coin may have gone missing.

We guess that once one receives a coin, or set of coins, they belong to the cacher who has possession. Even so, it seems that putting these coins up for auction given the original intent when they were first distributed is contrary to what the series producer intended.

KayakerinME web site

Anyone interested in this can look at the above link where you will see the request to have the coins returned rather than sold.

I know this topic comes up every so often, and it is not nearly as "intriguing" :huh::huh::) as the thread about the first time coin, but still we wonder if there will ever be agreement about what constitutes "fair play" in our hobby.

We have our own coin now which we drop in caches, use as FTF prizes, and trade with others. We decided not to sell the coin, but only to trade it. We were probably partially influenced by our experience with this set of coins and the cacher who produced the series.

See pix of Wigoweb's Personal Geocoin

If you check out our coin at the above link, and you would like to trade your personal coin for it, please contact us through our profile.

I'm confused. Are you wishing to place a set at auction that the coin maker wishes will not be placed at auction?

If so arrangements in the past to trade for coins that can be auctioned off have been made so the "not for auction" clause in your trade agreement is not violated.

No, I don't want to auction my set of KayakerinME coins, but I did see a set for auction tonight. I just don't think that they should be sold when the original trade was so clear about not selling them.

Oh okay. That particular argument's been played out here a couple of times over Mystery coins ending up on the block, that is coins that were gifted with the expressed desire they not end up on the auction block. But they still do.

I am the seller of the KayerinME coins. For whatever reason I was not aware the coins were not to be sold. I have never been to KayakerinME's website so I did not see the request not to sell the coins.

Hollora, you perhaps should bite your tongue before you light the flame. I was not aware the set was not to be sold. I have been contacted by the creator of the coins and pulled the auction within a few minutes of reading the email. Next time, you may want to give the seller the benefit of the doubt before you open your mouth.

I just reviewed the emails between KayakinME and myself regarding the coins and trade made some time ago. He never mentioned that he did not want the coins sold. KayakerinME sent me an email that I received this morning, I pulled the auction because I was requested to do so and out of respect for KayakerinME.

Edited by LadeBear68

I just reviewed the emails between KayakinME and myself regarding the coins and trade made some time ago. He never mentioned that he did not want the coins sold. KayakerinME sent me an email that I received this morning, I pulled the auction because I was requested to do so and out of respect for KayakerinME.

I might have 5 coins if you fancy trading!!

Bob

For what it's worth, I made a trade a while back with KayakerinME and I wasn't aware of the 'coins not to be sold' request either. I'm had no plans on selling but now we know.

I am honored to have a set of the KayakerinME and it's absolutely one of our favorites.

Not sure whether to open up a separate thread - this dialogue brings up an interesting question about what happens to "trade-only" coins when people get out of coin collecting completely (as has been mentioned in a few threads here)?