Username VS Cache Log names

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I signed up last year using my usual username, as i do on most forums.

This year, with the release of geocache Navigator for my Nokia N95, me and my hubby have taken to it in a big way, so we are both signing the logs. However the names we use bear no resemblance to the login username.

So it seems that caching etiquette says that you should sign the log with your username.

Should i change my username or not bother and carry on as we are

Gobbi and Womble

I don't think it's possible to change your geocaching username now.

Perhaps someone else might know for definite if it's possible or not?

If you log on line with one username and not log it in the log book with the same name it is possible for the cache owner to delete your find as they won't know it's the same person.

Hi there,

you can't change your user name.

I'd use your geocaching.com website login to sign in the log book as that is what everyone else sees. I'd see a Gobbi and Womble and I'd go who are they? But Riverboat2001 - not as fun but nonetheless, it is the login that everyone else sees on the website and may well recognise.

If you'd rather use your names Gobbi and Womble, than you could re-register with the new names, and then just re-log the caches under your new user accounts. If you want to do this, then I'd suggest you do it sooner rather than later, as re-logging 9 caches isn't too much effort, but doing 100 would be.

You used to be able to change username on the site, but you can't anymore since they changed database software.

You can't delete a user account either, so you can just leave the old account to be dormant.

... it is possible for the cache owner to delete your find as they won't know it's the same person.

Interesting, so I guess I can delete all those recent finds for my caches with the text along the lines of 'found with Delta68 months ago but now logging under my own ID' .... there is no matching entry on the logbook.

Interesting question! :blink:

I have a few logs -with just about the same wording- on my cache! :(:(

Interesting, so I guess I can delete all those recent finds for my caches with the text along the lines of 'found with Delta68 months ago but now logging under my own ID' .... there is no matching entry on the logbook.

You can if you want. Our lad wanted his own ID (drempels) so he could log some caches on his own when he goes to scout camp. He worked b***** hard to find caches with us including clambering through gorse bushes etc for the the odd YOSM with never so much as a complaint.

Our daughter will have her own ID shortly but she has already said that she will only retrospectively log virtuals, webcams, earthcaches and a few physical ones which were particularly memorable...