A question abaout puzzle caches

hat_man

I have an idea for a "puzzle" multi. I can't get into too much detail, but I do have a couple of questions.

1) What information needs to be given on the cache page?

The reason I ask is that part of the "puzzle" is something physical in the container that you have to "manipulate" (not like a Japanese Puzzle Box or anything like that) or use one of your senses on or think outside the box to get the next set of coord's. Stage one would be listed on the cache page but the following stages would have to be inferred from the clues in the containers.

2) Is there such a thing as a "puzzle" multi or are they allowed?

I guess this should have been question one, huh?

3) Would there be any interest in this type of hide/hides?

A couple of the ideas I have require your "thinking cap". This would maybe make it interesting, but at the same time might drive people away. Also, the "clue" would need to stay with the container. That would mean no taking it home to work on. If you can figure out the "pattern" then it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so to get the next coord's.

4) What about making it a multi but being able to log each hide individually with a nice final?

Only thought this because it might be an easier way to complete without having to spend an entire afternoon on just one cache/smiley.

Let me know what you all think or if this is even possible.

Thanks and Happy Hunting

Hat_man

I like puzzles, and I have done a few that required simple field solving. If it requires going to stage 1, then going home to do work on the computer or confirm coords, I don't think I'd like it. If there are puzzles to solve, I would want them to be simple because I'm not going to want to spend an hour standing in a field or in the woods trying to solve a puzzle. A lot of people don't like puzzles, so if you are giving coords to stage 1 on the cache page, they'll want a warning that a puzzle is in their future.

You don't have any puzzle finds. I suggest you try several before setting up a puzzle cache of your own.

1) hard to say without knowing what the puzzle is. You may need to give out the details to your reviewer and/or cacher in your area to beta test it. That is set up the cache and have someone solve it through from start to finish.

2) yes, puzzle variations are virtually endless.

3) depends on the cachers in your area.

4) that would be a way to draw out cachers.

....snip....if you are giving coords to stage 1 on the cache page, they'll want a warning that a puzzle is in their future.

You will also have to deal with some peeps that just neglect to read the cache page, and then log unspeakable things when they can't get an immediate smiley for just showing up! :anitongue::laughing::anicute:

1) As much or as little as you want. However, if you require work in the field, it's a good idea to at least warn potential seekers that more work is ahead. Also, as Team Magic stated, if you put a container at the listed ground zero you should be prepared when people start to want to claim a find for finding that container. Expect logs like: "Easy find! I didn't see the log, so I signed my used McDonald's napkin and left it in the cache. I traded the napkin for the cool puzzle thingie."

2) Puzzle/multi combinations are definitely allowed and can be a lot of fun. I've even seen a puzzle/multi/letterbox hybrid combination.

3) What Chuy! said. Some areas are teeming with awesome puzzle caches, some are overwelmed by 1.5/1.5 traditionals.

4) This is very possible. This is commonly seen as a Traditional first stage with an Unknown second stage. Another variation is scattering the coordinates for a "Bonus" final stage among lots of local caches. As I understand what you're saying, the seeker would find the first stage, use the tactile puzzle to locate the second stage, which has another puzzle for the third stage, etc. If you do this expect lots of finds on the first cache but progressively fewer down the line. Also expect to replace the puzzle in the first stage fairly often.

Sounds awesome, and good luck!

I have an idea for a "puzzle" multi. I can't get into too much detail, but I do have a couple of questions.

The reason I ask is that part of the "puzzle" is something physical in the container that you have to "manipulate" (not like a Japanese Puzzle Box or anything like that) or use one of your senses on or think outside the box to get the next set of coord's. Stage one would be listed on the cache page but the following stages would have to be inferred from the clues in the containers.

I guess this should have been question one, huh?

A couple of the ideas I have require your "thinking cap". This would maybe make it interesting, but at the same time might drive people away. Also, the "clue" would need to stay with the container. That would mean no taking it home to work on. If you can figure out the "pattern" then it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so to get the next coord's.

4) What about making it a multi but being able to log each hide individually with a nice final?

Only thought this because it might be an easier way to complete without having to spend an entire afternoon on just one cache/smiley.

Let me know what you all think or if this is even possible.

Thanks and Happy Hunting

Hat_man

It sounds interesting, plus you just gave me an idea to leave a Rubic's cube in the 1st stage of a puzzle cache with the final coords written on the squares. (with a few decoy numbers) Years ago I used to be able to do it in 5 minutes, but recently I attempted it and could not even remember how to unscramble the last 4 blocks. Cool ideas, thanks!!

It sounds interesting, plus you just gave me an idea to leave a Rubic's cube in the 1st stage of a puzzle cache with the final coords written on the squares. (with a few decoy numbers) Years ago I used to be able to do it in 5 minutes, but recently I attempted it and could not even remember how to unscramble the last 4 blocks. Cool ideas, thanks!!

Holy toledo, that is one of the best ideas I've heard yet for a puzzle-at-the-cache cache. I hope you don't mind me borrowing that one!

To the OP, I think your idea sounds great. Don't worry about how many puzzle finds you have. I only have one, but it's not from lack of solving them, it's from a lack of any in my area. I am also working on placing several myself, because I think there is a need for them here.

Great idea!

: - )

you just gave me an idea to leave a Rubic's cube in the 1st stage of a puzzle cache with the final coords written on the squares.

We had a multi here using the same method: Proliferation Kewbed.

I'm not nearly bright enough to solve a Rubik, so I made a blank. Looking at the color combos of the existing corner/edge pieces of the original, told me where they should be on the completed puzzle. This told me where, on the completed puzzle, the numbers would end up, so I just wrote them onto my handmade puzzle blank.

Stage one had been tampered with, (decals pulled off the cube), then went missing.

To the OP, I would suggest you make contact with your local reviewer. You can explain in detail, exactly what you want to do, without fear that the caching community will get wind of your ideas. Also, you can hammer out any concerns before hand, leading to a faster publication time.

Good luck!

-Sean

Oh I love puzzle caches. Wish there were more near me.

One of my favorites was a multi cache puzzle. There was a separate cache for each stage, so you got a smiley for each. Each stage had a number in it. You then used those numbers to get the cords for the big final.

Stage1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Final

Just be creative. If it takes me all day to solve 1 puzzle cache, then so be it. Just means it was that good of a challenege...or Im and idiot....lol

You'd probably want to give folks a heads up beforehand to let them know they'll have to "solve the magic box at stage one" or whatever to let them know they'll have to do something to gather info that will take them to other stages and ultimately to the final.

You can mention how many stages or not. That's your call on how much info you want them to have, but it's a nice courtesy to let them know they'll be doing something so they don't do there thinking it'll take 10 minutes but really it requires 2 hours. Again, how much info you give them is totally up to you. If you give too little, people may skip it if because they may not want to go into it blindly, but you don't want to give away too much info and spoil it either.

Yes, there are all different types of puzzles. Some, you solve at home and find a traditional type container and others are as you're considering, a multi-stage puzzle where you have a few stages along the way.

I'm sure there would. Some people don't like "puzzles," but the blue question mark is more than solving something hard before heading out. If you want to draw people in, write the description in a way that makes people realize they're not going to have to do something crazy hard when they get to stage one (presuming they don't...).

If you can figure out the "pattern" then it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so to get the next coord's.

Just remember that you, as the cache owner, know how to solve the puzzle and figure it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, but for someone who has never done it, it could be harder and take longer. Keep an eye on logs and be open to feedback from finders and make adjustments/add hints if it seems to be taking longer for people.

There's no way to log stages of a multi, but you could put partial "bonus" coords into the containers and as people make their way through the one cache, they're gathering coordinates to a bonus "mystery" (blue question mark) cache that they can log. A lot of folks do that around here if they're placing a "series" of caches. If they place 10 caches, they might have one or two bonus caches that get found after completing the first 10 caches.

Edited by Skippermark
part of the "puzzle" is something physical in the container that you have to "manipulate"

Make sure you attach the "something physical" to the container so it doesn't get carried off mistakenly as a trade item. You might be able to use a cable tie. Or perhaps stranded steel wire attached to a bolt through the side of the ammo can (seal with slicone). Etc.

Edward

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I have been rather busy and haven't had time to get back here until now. I think I have a better idea of what I am looking for and what information I need to let cachers know before they go out. The "puzzles" wouldn't really require much for field work (no calculators,sliderules,Enigma machines,etc.) or really any math skills. Just more of an ability to think outside the box and having a keen eye for observation. I'm not sure there are any puzzle caches near here to do but I will have to look. The Rubicks Cube idea had crossed my mind, but it can be so frustrating to solve if you have never done it. I didn't want anything quite so involved. I had thought about putting together a "prototype" and taking it to an event to see what others might think of it. I'm thinking maybe 2 "puzzles" to solve would be plenty even though I have many ideas.

Again I thank all of you for your input. I'll take it all to heart.

Take Care and Happy Hunting

Hat_Man