Is something wrong with ths picture?

Hey, you're right!!!!!

I've bought a lot of Rush albums in the past, I'm helping to give them millions of dollars. I should get to come up with the name of their next album and maybe help write some songs. I'm tired of their drummer treating me rudely.

Then STOP stalking him!!! :P:(:P:(

Edited by Snoogans

Hey, you're right!!!!!

I've bought a lot of Rush albums in the past, I'm helping to give them millions of dollars. I should get to come up with the name of their next album and maybe help write some songs. I'm tired of their drummer treating me rudely.

But he's a rock GOD, and I think I should keep him in a glass jar in my basement.

I've bought a lot of Rush albums in the past [...] I'm tired of their drummer treating me rudely.

But he's a rock GOD, and I think I should keep him in a glass jar in my basement.

I think you mean drum god (kinda like the original bumper sticker)... *grins*

So what was this topic about, again? *laugh*

Edit: bbcode fubar

Edited by russellvt
I've bought a lot of Rush albums in the past [...] I'm tired of their drummer treating me rudely.

I think you mean drum god (kinda like the original bumper sticker)... *grins*

So what was this topic about, again? *laugh*

Edit: bbcode fubar

I guess if all he did was play drums I would have meant that, but I didn't. I meant rock GOD. :P

Hey, you're right!!!!!

Like Mr. Belvedere? :P

OK, OP........this thread will only move along if you come back and start talking...er....typing. We can't dialogue with you if you're not around. Unless this was always meant as a hit and run thread......

No, no, no....people have it all wrong. :P Jeremy's second car is a yellow hummer with the license plate "TPTB". :P

I think it's almost silly to post in this thread, since there are so many obvious issues with the OP, but here I am. :( I've been so impressed over and over by Groundspeak: how down to earth, friendly, and helpful they are. I feel that they care about the sport and the people and do their best to better geocaching. How many companies can you come into forums and speak right to the owners?

I'm proud to be a part of their site, and give them hugs whenever I can. :(

Hey, and I didn't even get paid to say all that! :PB):P

This thread is a good reminder -- I'm due to re-up my membership next week (and I've only found 11 caches since the beginning of the new year...) It's worth it to keep the site running, and my area rerviewer, Quiggle, is one of the best around. You listening, Quig? :P

No. :P

Since no one posted a picture. Here's one for you to find out what's wrong with it.

ice-cream-tease.jpg

I know, I know, pick me!!! When I finish my work-out, the pimple-faced clerks at the ice cream shop are very rude to me cuz I'm morbidly obese, and they only have 31 flavors, and rocky moose isn't one of them! Right? and their portions are too small...

Hey, you're right!!!!!

Millions? Hundreds, maybe. :P

Geocaching.com would not exist were it not for the people who invest time and money in pacing and maintaining caches.

These very same people are charged a fee that generates millions of dollars in revenue for geocaching.com.

There's no fee charged for listing a cache.

-> Ex falso quodlibet.

There are over 1,735,000 user accounts. About 5-8% are premium members according to my calculations, times that by $30 puts it conservatively at $2.6m/yr. to liberally $4.1m/yr. Add in licensing, merchandise, advertising and the $1.50 for each trackable geocoin made and it adds quickly from there. Money paid out to content providers $0 ???

Psssst.... wasn't supposed to say anything but I don't think anyone is listening. Hate to break this to ya but everyone involved in geocaching except you is getting paid a base salary of $75K which includes a good benifits package, a bonus of $250 for each cache hidden, $100 for each find on our caches and $50 for each cache we find. GC was granted $10.3B in 1997 on some government earmark funding accident. I retired from my CEO position a few years ago to do this but I was told not to tell you. So don't say I told you, okay?

:P

Pssst. That's only for Platinum members and you weren't supposed to tell everyone else.

Anyway, Jeremy once failed to reply to a personal email. I feel just horrible about it.

He was probably too busy counting his minions millions.

Edited by sbell111

I'll never begrudge someone for making a buck. As a customer I merely ask myself if I am getting good value. Is what I receive worth at least what I pay?

I'd say the use of geocaching.com for $0 is pretty good value, and doubt many would disagree.

I also feel that $30 per year for the additional benefits of a premium membership is good value for me.

And the additional (undisclosed cost) is definitely worth the rewards and advantages offered by my platinum membership.

Frankly I hope that Groundspeak is making a killing so that they are incited to keep this site running.

Hey, you're right!!!!!

Then STOP stalking him!!! :P:(:P:P

But stalking is so much FUN... :(

Hey, you're right!!!!!

Oh, these guys have made many many millions in their career, and I've definitely done my share to help.

Hey, you're right!!!!!

Oh, these guys have made many many millions in their career, and I've definitely done my share to help.

Sure, but as you say that was during their career.

Pssst. That's only for Platinum members and you weren't supposed to tell everyone else.

Anyway, Jeremy once failed to reply to a personal email. I feel just horrible about it.

He was probably too busy counting his minions millions.

Pssst. There is no Jeremy, just some actor they hire to send to events. Don't tell anybody.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Hey, you're right!!!!!

You've completely lost me. Are you agreeing or saying that they haven't made millions? :P

My post was a reference to the OP, saying that gc.com has made millions based on a lot of us paying them $30 a year, so I made an analogy to the band Rush making millions based on a lot of us buying their music.

Hey, you're right!!!!!

You've completely lost me. Are you agreeing or saying that they haven't made millions? :(

My post was a reference to the OP, saying that gc.com has made millions based on a lot of us paying them $30 a year, so I made an analogy to the band Rush making millions based on a lot of us buying their music.

I think the Staunch Defender of Everything Rush is trying to change the subject, back to the subject. :P

Hey, you're right!!!!!

Then STOP stalking him!!! <_<:anibad::anitongue::laughing:

But stalking is so much FUN... :anicute:

AAAARRRGGGHHH!

sigh...! :(

Oh well... at least, starting on the 15th, I will be safe from the geo-stalking predations of Sioneva and my other geo-stalkers for the two-and-a-half weeks that I will be in Kuala Lumpur! Ahh... peace and quiet.. no more 3 AM phone calls from Nebraska! :)

Oh... and those rumors that my stalkers will be able to find me spending most evenings at the Ah Pek Pau Stall in the parking lot at the intersection of Jalan Manis road and Jalan Manis 4 road (opposite the mamak restaurant) in Taman Sagar, gorging on dim sum -- well, they are entirely untrue! Same for the tales that you will be able to find me at the Heng Fatt Wantan Mee at Desa Aman, stuffing myself on noodles and squid smothered in black sauce! All lies!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Some observations …

Golly gee.

This reads more like "imaginations".

Some services that were once free now cost money.

I used to go in a restaurant, and immediately have glasses of ice water served for each customer, and a basket of salad crackers pleasantly served. Now we have to ask for water, the salads are tiny (but in huge bowls), and the waiter wants to be on a first name basis.

On GC.Com, however, as far as I can tell, the free vs. fee situation has not changed.

Therefore.......... Using Geocaching.Com is better than eating in a restaurant.

Some questions …

If geocaching.com is generating millions of dollars in revenue, why are reviewers unpaid?

Point 1: Unless GC has become publicly traded, you don't know their revenue. We're back to "imagination", rather than "observation".

Point 2: Even if you knew the revenue numbers, they are meaningless unless compared to expenses. Last time I checked, programmers were making considerably more than minimum wage.

Point 3: The paid people make the site available for use, the volunteer people use what the paid people produce.

Who is making all the money?

Unless GC.Com has some sort of special dispensation that allows it to operate free of the fetters of all other small businesses (and it doesn't), then the money is being made by the insurance companies, the tax people, the maintenance contractors, the employees, the work comp carriers, etc.

Since we cache owners are vital stakeholders, should we not have a say in the governance of the site?

You do have a say. You can use it or not. That's your say.

Unlike any other business, though, GC.Com gives you the option of using their high-expenditure services for free. You can pay if you wish, but their first option offered is free service.

The next time you're in Wendy's, be sure to look for the "this food we charge for" menu vs. the "this food we give away" menu. There isn't such a thing. Or, tell your insurance agent "Hey, I don't want to pay for insurance. What are your options for free insurance?". Or, drop by your local internet provider, and tell them you don't want to buy the "paid service", you want the "free service".

If other businesses offered the options GC does, you'd be able to be insured while you dine and surf the net, all for free. Wouldn't that be nice?

But, they don't.

GC offers their services for free, no strings attached. If you want to pay for the extra programming, they'll make some extra stuff available.

Personally, I hope Jeremy makes a stack of profit each year, and either holds his own or increases his gains over time. He's the one who put everything at stake so we could do this geocaching thing, and I hope he is successful beyond his wildest dreams.

I don't see a single on-topic post on page two of this thread. So, cut it out. My paycheck gets docked if there are unmoderated off topic posts.

Wait... I thought moderators worked for free. So if you lose money because of unmoderated off topic posts, does that mean you owe GS money because of this post I'm making right here? Bummer, sorry about that. I'll try to be better about staying on topic in the future. :anitongue:

Well, just to stay on topic... as has already been stated, I look at the value of what I'm getting before I pay money for it. I see access to the Premium membership benefits (pocket queries, instant notifications, foot rubs at events, priority reviewer access, etc.) to be well worth the $30 a year, so I'll gladly pay it.

The bottom line is that it's not any of our business how a private company operates.

Just like if you subscribe to a newspaper and write an editorial for publication (could be compared to submitting a cache), we have no right to go to the newspaper and inquire about how they run their business.

This smells like a drive-by trolling, but just in case it’s not, I’ll bite:

Geocaching.com would not exist were it not for the people who invest time and money in pacing and maintaining caches.

Agreed.

As those who own caches know, the amount of time and money is not insignificant.

Still with you ...

These very same people are charged a fee that generates millions of dollars in revenue for geocaching.com.

No, we’re not.

The Premium Membership, and its associated fee, is entirely voluntary. One can participate in Geocaching.com for free, with no time limit, while never paying a penny to the website.

Some of these people who are building the geocaching.com brand by publishing caches and paying a fee have been treated rudely by staffers (not reviewers) of geocaching.com.

Possibly – but in every case I’ve observed the treatment appears to have been earned.

None of these people who are building the geocaching.com brand by publishing caches and paying a fee are given any say in the policies that govern the web site.

Wrong.

That is just plain factually wrong. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but I’ve even heard there is actually a free, public forum out there somewhere that Groundspeak pays for and uses to solicit opinions, suggestions and gripes.

True.

Same as when the banks first started making ATMs available a few decades ago. They were all free at first, but then later the charges and fees showed up. Most of us understood, and were happy with the choice to either pay for convenience or say no thanks and pass. A few economically ignorant cranks ranted and whined, however, and in some cases succeeded in forcing the passage of local anti-ATM-fee regulations that produced unhappy (yet predictable) unintended consequences.

Services cost money. When things are done fairly it's generally the user of the service who pays the fee. A service provided free of charge is known as a "gift." Gifts are always nice to receive, but it is generally considered rude to demand a gift, or to whine when you do not receive a gift -- especially a demanded gift.

Your point?

If geocaching.com is generating millions of dollars in revenue, why are reviewers unpaid?

I don’t care whether they get paid or not.

No, scratch that – on second thought I actually think that I prefer to know that new geocaches are being reviewed by those who do it purely out of a love for the game, not by someone who has to be paid to care.

Why do YOU care whether they get paid?

Who is making all the money?

Again, why do you care? Either you are happy with the price and the product, or you’re not. If you are happy, then what’s the problem? If you are unhappy, then vote with your feet and leave – end of problem.

No person ever made any money by peeking into another person’s pockets.

Since we cache owners are vital stakeholders, should we not have a say in the governance of the site?

Who says you don’t?

Geocachers (hiders and seekers) are pretty much in this purely for the fun of it.

Groundspeak, on the other hand, while also presumably having fun, is nevertheless in business to make money. Like any rationally-managed business they are VERY interested in the opinions, recommendations, and general satisfaction of their paying customers.

Why is it that you seem to believe otherwise?

Groundspeak is NOT a not-for-profit, and I happen to like it that way. The profit motive is a natural -- and very strong -- force for quality.

Just like if you subscribe to a newspaper and write an editorial for publication (could be compared to submitting a cache), we have no right to go to the newspaper and inquire about how they run their business.
Aha!!!! Freedom of Speech grants everyone the right to ask people how they run their business. BUT by the same right, those businesses have the right NOT to tell you if they so wish.

Kind of the difference between the people that ask how a GPSr works and they get told "You turn it on and it receives several satellite signals that can figure out exactly where you are" or people that want to hear "You depress the momentary contact pushbutton switch for approximately 50ms, after timing out the circuit is made supplying power to the main GPSr processor, this initiates the start up routine that supplies power to the LCD screen which displays the customer programmed start up message..... blah-blah-blah". I just want the dang thing to work, could care less what's going on inside, and I think that's true with most people. Same goes for the inner workings of GC.com.

I have a series of caches in a nearby provate nature park that charges almost $10 to visit. Full permission from the manager for the caches and have been told to come any time for FREE and check the caches. Every time I go I pay the fees because it goes to a good cause and I can cut out a few snacks that week to pay for it. You weigh out the cost vs. the benifit and if the shoe don't fit then don't wear it :anitongue:

The site is completely free. Just because "someone" was upset with a staffer doesnt mean they shouldnt be making money. I'd rather see GC survive than flounder. In the beginning, all that they were surviving on was "frozen bean burritos and cheese whiz".

I can't see the picture...??? :anitongue:

He needs to start over on a new canvas and quit using those awful bold red tones which contrast with the green ones.

Pssst. There is no Jeremy, just some actor they hire to send to events. Don't tell anybody.

You say "some" actor? :laughing: His real name is Jeremy Blutarski and he is very well known in Sweden, Japan, and a few very remote parts of Liechtenstein.

True.

Is this true? I thought the services offered to regular members has remained the same from the beginning and don't believe any features were taken away from regular members and moved to premium member only access.

Hasn't it been just new and additional features that are made available to premium members and not regular members like pocket queries, cache notifications and stuff?

His real name is Jeremy Blutarski and he is very well known in Sweden, Japan, and a few very remote parts of Liechtenstein.

Jeremy's portrait hangs in the entrance way of Schloss Vaduz, right next to the portrait of Prince Hans-Adam II.

The local Vaduz bakery has even named a bagel after him. He's very popular there.

***Pssst. There is no Jeremy, just some actor they hire to send to events.***

Kinda like the Verizon Guy?

I guess it's time to 'fess up.

Jeremy is not the real Jeremy. His name is Cummerbund. He inherited the job from the previous Jeremy, who was not the real Jeremy either. The real Jeremy has been retired for twenty years, and living like a king in Patagonia.

True.

Is this true? I thought the services offered to regular members has remained the same from the beginning and don't believe any features were taken away from regular members and moved to premium member only access.

Hasn't it been just new and additional features that are made available to premium members and not regular members like pocket queries, cache notifications and stuff?

To the best of my recollection, the only example that I can think of is when there was a glitch with the GC.com maps that allowed 'regular' members the same functionality as PMs.

True.

I believe you are probably correct, and I am probably wrong.

Now that I think of it the only feature I can come up with is the Members Only Cache. At one time all caches were available to non-paying members, in other words, but today that is no longer true.

Other than that, you make a good point. I didn't think it through, and I really had no business agreeing with the OP on that particular part of his rambling complaint.

To the best of my recollection, the only example that I can think of is when there was a glitch with the GC.com maps that allowed 'regular' members the same functionality as PMs.
There's been a few times the servers were down and it's always when trying to run a PQ on vacation in a neat spot on a limited schedule, but Murphy is in charge of that. And the occasional double post that can't be deleted. Every now and again the "an error has occurred" message on the site. And the occasional double post that can't be deleted. :laughing:

Waiting for the new website.... http://www.geocaching.google.com :anitongue:

And how many people tried to click on that just to check..... hehehe