Event prizes

Hi all,

Holding a simple little camping event in my neck of the woods (Sweden) and I'm kind of striking out on ideas for a few door prizes.

Would ready made caches stuffed with swag, logbook and geoinformation be too lame a door prize? I was thinking I could do them in 3 different sizes, for 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize?

One of our local discount stores has a camping "set" that has a small 2 man tent, 2 sleeping bags, and the foam underlays that go under sleeping bags for about 25.00, but I'm not sure how "high quality" they are, or they'd be ok since they are, after all, a door prize!

What have you seen given as door prizes at events that you really enjoyed or thought was neat!

Thanks in advance!

Naomi :D

I don't know if you have dollar stores there in sweden but a cache stuffed full of goodies from the dollar store or a dime store are nice. Maybe you and the girls could whip up a big batch of homemade trail mix and wrap that as gifts with maybe some kind of beef jerkey and other little nic nacs that someone would snack on during a geo hunt? Even just a bag ful of mini log books, film canisters (you can usually get those free from a place that develops film), pens and your sig items would be nice too? Just a few thoughts?

When we hosted a WWFM (World Wide Flash Mob) event, we gave away a couple of "ready-to-place" caches. People liked it and they actually placed them quickly.

Depending on the size of the event, you could ask people to bring some giveaway items.

Simple geocaching items are good to give away as well. Geocoins, travel bugs, containers, batteries, etc.

the sky and your imagination are your limit.

Really like the munchie idea, Nora!

Instead of a trail mix, though, we're going to hit the Dollar Store (and yes, would you believe Sweden has a Dollar store, lol!) and buy some different types of snacks and package them nicely as a door prize... I mean, who doesn't hit the munchies when you're out caching :lol:!

We'll likely go with some ready made caches, too!

I MAY...and that is a MAY... hit the local camera store for some empty cannisters and make a bunch of micro caches to hand out to everyone with a sticker made from the event on it, too.

Thank goodness we live in Sweden, the home of the unofficial sponsor of writing materials for Geocaching :D!

Any other good ideas?

What about small camping items, especially since this is a camping event, like camping showers (you know, the type you hang from trees) or an inexpensive hammock?

Naomi :D

The event we held, several cachers gave us geocoins to give away. Since I do glass etching as a small hobby, I made a nice sized mirror with the Geocache logo and Signal sitting there staring up at it. It turned out really nice and it was our grand prize. We also had a candy jar with goodies in it that was given away. Also gave a couple of pre-made-ready-to-go caches away. They all got placed. The ideas are endless. One event I went to had (sorry to say it) some not so great prizes. They were stuff for hunters (you know, the bows and arrows & guns type), and some other stuff that just wasnt that great IMO. Try to stick with cache related things.

You are right, I get the munchies all the time when out caching. Its hard work and a cacher has to eat. So that works. So does the camping related stuff too.

Good luck with your event!

Edited by Sparticus06

What was given away at the"Wacky b'vlle" event I went to was...

First aid kits, certs with each cachers finds that said would attend ie. so and so gets a cert for 200 Finds!

some unactivated coins. and stocked caches to be hid. We also had a scavenger hunt to win prises as well as a door prize/ticket raffle.,

you're on the right track definately.

Our group is known for our signature item that we leave in caches (small bowling pins which are signed Lag Pins), so for our hosted event (which is now an on going event) we decided to make the bowling pins into key chains for all people who came to the event. We will do this for each event we host, with the event name written on them. The community around here loved them, so don't rule out any signature swag that you can alter for the event.

Edited by Lag Pins
Would ready made caches stuffed with swag, logbook and geoinformation be too lame a door prize? I was thinking I could do them in 3 different sizes, for 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize?

I think that would make a great door prize. I've seen them at events and they are always appreciated.

Besides that, some nice things that I recall being given out as door prizes were:

A wooden hiking staff

local trail topo map sets

GPS units (usually the grand prize)

First Aid kids

backpacks

Nalgene or Platypus water bottles