COINTEST: Guess the location of the 8/8/8 event in Italy

kdv

I'm getting ready to publish the Italian edition of the 8/8/8 event, but first let's have some fun!

Up for grabs a 8/8/8 event coin (Italy edition) (the coin won't be available until August so the winner will have to be a bit patient. All you have to do to win it is guess where the Italian 8/8/8 event will be held (the one in Tuscany, as there will be another one further up north).

Here's what you need to do:

1. Go to Google Maps

2. Zoom in to the Leaning Tower of Pisa (N 43° 43.381 E 010° 23.783)

3. Zoom back out until you can see the coastline on the left hand side

4. Now explore the area that is being displayed and try and identify the perfect spot for the 8/8/8 event.

Rules:

- the answer you post must consist of a set of coordinates (same format as the coords referring to the leaning tower mentioned here) PLUS the name of the town closest to these, as displayed in Google Maps when zoomed out to the level described in step 3 above (this will help me to easily recognize the best answers)

- at least 30 minutes between your answers

- no editing

- participants must have a history of at least 25 posts

- no participants from Italy

- cointest runs for 24 hours from the time I am posting this message

- winner will be the person who guessed the coordinates closest to the actual location, as the bird flies of course (provided their posts comply with the rules of this cointest)

- I will decide on the winner, no whining, no discussion

- prize will be mailed out some time in August

I will give NO hints during the cointest. Let the terrain speak for itself!

Good luck everyone!

Uhm, guys, please pay attention to the coordinate format. You need to follow my example of N 43° 43.381 E 010° 23.783.

So N 43° 12.345' E 010° 34.567' is ok, but N 43° 12' 34.56 E 010° 34' 56.78'' isn't. So far only 1 answer was in a correct format, but unfortunately it refers to non existing coordinates (minutes only go up to 59, sertub).

I am looking for Degrees/Minutes here, not Degrees/Minutes/Seconds.

Uhm, guys, please pay attention to the coordinate format. You need to follow my example of N 43° 43.381 E 010° 23.783.

So N 43° 12.345' E 010° 34.567' is ok, but N 43° 12' 34.56 E 010° 34' 56.78'' isn't. So far only 1 answer was in a correct format, but unfortunately it refers to non existing coordinates (minutes only go up to 59, sertub).

I am looking for Degrees/Minutes here, not Degrees/Minutes/Seconds.

I've been having trouble getting the coordinates to show up on Google Maps, so I was just using what the computer told me in the round about way I figured out how to get them to show.

I really do not know a lot about coordinates! that is why I haven't place any caches yet!

I am just posting the coordinates google map is giving me from the exact spot I choose!

I will place these coodrinates, and...

So...how about "Piazza Martiri dalla Liberta"

It's a bit wrong, it should be:

N 43 40.783

E 10 20.783

(biggest problem was the . after the first two digits, that really shouldn't be there - the letters in the end instead of at the beginning I can live with)

@ everyone: boy you can sure tell that we're on the geoCOINS forum and not the geoCACHING forum, do you all never have to convert/ calculate/project coordinates to find caches? :D

ok here goes my idea

San Piero's basilica built in AD44

43.40.783 N

10.20.783 E

And if thats not the venue it should be!!!!! :D:laughing::D

is this in the wrong format?

because if so I am coinfused

Bob

My 'instructions' were for Google Maps, not Google Earth, also because that should create fewer problems for everyone. Just go to http://maps.google.com

@Gatoulis: you'll really have to figure out a way to convert those coordinates or all your guesses will remain invalid, sorry

i cant get google earth to work for me :laughing:

@ everyone: boy you can sure tell that we're on the geoCOINS forum and not the geoCACHING forum, do you all never have to convert/ calculate/project coordinates to find caches? :D

I had a series of caching which used to teach all that! :D I would run a cointest for where the NJ event is, but I already posted so everyone would win. :laughing:

My 'instructions' were for Google Maps, not Google Earth, also because that should create fewer problems for everyone. Just go to http://maps.google.com

@Gatoulis: you'll really have to figure out a way to convert those coordinates or all your guesses will remain invalid, sorry

i cant get google earth to work for me :D

But I dont get any co-ordinates in any format showing on googlemaps :laughing:

Ok, let me all teach you a neat little trick:

When you find the location you want on Google Maps, right-click on the exact spot and select 'Center Map Here'. Then go to the address bar of your browser and paste this:

java script:void(prompt('',gApplication.getMap().getCenter()));

then hit enter

A message box will appear displaying the coordinates of the location you selected. Then you only need to convert these coordinates to the required format for this cointest. You can do that here for example:

http://rumkin.com/tools/gps/degrees.php

(Use it once for the N bit and once for the E bit)

Now nobody should have any more excuses to post incorrect formats (and of course you can resubmit 'old' guesses in the correct format, as The Wolf Pack has done - just keep in mind the 30 min waiting period).

Ok, let me all teach you a neat little trick:

When you find the location you want on Google Maps, right-click on the exact spot and select 'Center Map Here'. Then go to the address bar of your browser and paste this:

java script:void(prompt('',gApplication.getMap().getCenter()));

then hit enter

A message box will appear displaying the coordinates of the location you selected. Then you only need to convert these coordinates to the required format for this cointest. You can do that here for example:

http://rumkin.com/tools/gps/degrees.php

(Use it once for the N bit and once for the E bit)

Now nobody should have any more excuses to post incorrect formats (and of course you can resubmit 'old' guesses in the correct format, as The Wolf Pack has done - just keep in mind the 30 min waiting period).

Well putting that in my browser doesn't really work for me so here is my guess

La Case Primo ( I hope that is a city!)

N 43 36.888

E 010 22.888

We have a winner!

No need to let the cointest run its full 24 hours, since surteb has guessed the correct location within a few feet. The winning guess is N 43° 43.672 E 10° 20.011 (Cascine Vecchie) (the location I picked for the cointest is N 43° 43.712' E 10° 20.076' - the event is not going to be on that exact spot, but its the spot that inspired me to select this general location).

Congrats surteb! It's a good thing you resubmitted your earlier guesses. It looks like you had spotted the place almost immediately! If you send me your address, you'll get your coin in the mail in August!

Edited by kdv

We have a winner!

No need to let the cointest run its full 24 hours, since surteb has guessed the correct location within a few feet. The winning guess is N 43° 43.672 E 10° 20.011 (Cascine Vecchie) (the location I picked for the cointest is N 43° 43.712' E 10° 20.076' - the event is not going to be on that exact spot, but its the spot that inspired me to select this general location).

Congrats surteb! It's a good thing you resubmitted your earlier guesses. It looks like you had spotted the place almost immediately! If you send me your address, you'll get your coin in the mail in August!

Oh boy!!! And I guessed that your event was at the hippodrome!!! :anicute:

Well I was very close to the area!

Congratulations to Surteb!! :) Thank you for the cointest KDV, and hope you will have fun at the event!! :anicute:

Congratulations Surteb - I spotted this very early on, but before I had worked out how to change the format of the co-ordinates, then I got carried away looking at all the other possibilities. At least I now have Google Earth set to the right format for co-ordinates :) Many thanks for the cointest kdv and hope that your 888 Event is a great success.