Best way to ship coins?

Taubin_ZL2TOY

I did a search, and didn't find any answers to this.

What is the best way to ship coins? Especially if going "across the pond" so to speak. I have received various coins from various places, and they all seem to be a little different. I am wondering if there is an accepted "Good" or "Best" way to ship them. Any advice would be appreciated as I've never really shipped anything other than a letter before.... ;)

Since you have received coins in various packages, pick the method you like best.

I like to put the coins in an envelope with the name and address of the person they are going to before that goes in a bubble mailer. When shipping to Europe or Down Under I use a lot more tape to protect the bubble mailer.

You'll hear a number of methods used by people ;)

I ship most coins in some type of bubble/poly mailer. You can buy them in bulk at several places like ebay, uline and lintoncompany. Suggested if you know you'll be doing quite a bit of trading.

I know some people protect coins with additional bubble wrap or some sort of cereal box/cardboard protectant. I don't personally and I;ve never had a problem.

Shipping overseas you'll need to fill out the green customs form. Mark the form as a 'gift' (box), label it as a game token or novelty token. When giving a value; I always mark it at $2.00 per coin and never over $10 no matter how many coins are inside. Overseas coiners have to pay a tax on items they receive and this helps them.

Now I know most people don't do this method however I'm guilty of doing it with smaller coins (micros, thin coins, tags, etc.). I will wrap the coin in a piece of paper. Tape it to the inside of the envelope. Cover the envelope in packaging tape. So far I've been lucky but I will only do it with my coins and the ones I know I can replace if something happened. I don't suggest doing this unless you can cover the loss. I however just like to tempt fate :D

Edited by tsunrisebey

I wrap my coin in a piece of an old bubble mailer with an address label on it and then tape that inside a bubble envelope. I have received some that were slit down the side from the coin getting thrown around in the envelope. I then tape all edges of the mailer. The tape compainies all love me I'm sure!!

Since I usually ship with paypal shipping I use some popcorn for filler to be sure they are 3/4" thick so that I can get the delivery confirmation. (only $0.18 using paypal)

I do about the same whn shipping out of the country except I don't use the filler. LIke they said use the form label it as a gift with a very low amount on it so they don't have to pay duties.

Once you have done a few trades you will then be able to reuse some of the mailers. I have some that have been used 3 times and are still good.

I just read tsun's reply and thought I should add that I didn't have to fill out a custom's form myself here (in Canada) but the clerk did list what I was sending over. I mentioned one item was a "game token" as suggested by someone on this forum but she didn't write it down because she said that anything to indicate a "game" perks up people's ears and things go missing. Maybe a novelty token would be a better thing to say. And she didn't ask me the value -- though I did have to provide it when I sent a trade to the US late last week.

Whatever you do don't wrap the coin flip in packing tape or scotch tape. If you like to tape things wrap the coin flip in paper, kleenex, cereal box cardboard, t-paper, wax paper or even the cellophane wrap new coins arrive in. Trying to remove the tape from the coin flip is next to impossible without leaving a sticky mess.... guaranteed!!

I have used bubble mailers and recycled many of them!!! But no matter what its gonna cost at least 1.40 per shipment and more overseas aswell as the customs form.

My recent method is to use a regular envelope. I use a manilla folder and cut it to the approx size of the envelope and tape it or staple the coin inside the manilla, then place it inside the regular envelope and tape up the sides of the envelope.

Its only around .59 - .74 to ship it and you dont have to use a customs form when shipping to another country with a standard envelope...although its just a bit more for overseas (less than 2.00)...it has to be "less than 1/4 inch OR not rigid" otherwise it classifies as a "small Package" and shipping will be more regardless of where it goes, so it helps to unfold the coinflip to make it as thin as possible.

I used just the manilla as the envelope and taped it, but it was 1.39 each- just about the same size as an envelope maybe a tad bigger, in that case I wish I had used a bubble mailer cause it made no difference...they considered it a "small package" for some reason

I have a surplus of used old manilla file folders, so thats what I used...If you cut it in half, you can get 2 inserts for the smaller envelopes from the bottom half and cut em down to fit, I use a razor knife to make quick work and you can get enough for 4 envelopes with 1 manilla file folder...Way cheaper and SO FAR, I have had no probs with the 15 or soI have done like that. Just be sure to tape all edges with good tape.

Definatley get some return shipping lables as I hand lable all mine still...That takes time when doin a bunch!

Whatever you do don't wrap the coin flip in packing tape or scotch tape. If you like to tape things wrap the coin flip in paper, kleenex, cereal box cardboard, t-paper, wax paper or even the cellophane wrap new coins arrive in. Trying to remove the tape from the coin flip is next to impossible without leaving a sticky mess.... guaranteed!!

I agree with this 100%...I wrap mine in tissue paper, the kind that is used in gift bags, before I tape them down.

Edited by kehunt64

Usually I use a new 000 bubble envelope and just tape the seam of the envelop. Never lose any. Sometimes I use used envelopes. Never tape the plastic flip never ever ever....yuck! But the best of all is I always fold inside a piece of paper usually a copy of the email

Amen to that - it drives me nuts :)

Personally, I cut off the end of a mailer that I have already received coins in and use that to house the coins that I'm sending before popping them in a bubble envelope.

I have traded many times to the USA and Canada and not had the problem that the coins burrow their way out yet (as far as I know) and no need to plaster the coins to the inside of the mailer. Pleeeease don't tape the coin flips in any way...the receiver will have to bin them on arrival...

As for postage, it seems the best/most cost effective way to send coins over to the UK from the USA is to use USPS 1st Class International, which appears to only cost a couple of dollars for a single coin and will get here in 7 days or so.

I have seen some huge costs quoted for even a single coin with long (surface mail) delivery times - some up to 42 days, which is in excess of the UK-USA rowing record :)

Mailing costs auto-calculated by PayPal are usually very high and although you might think it gives you peace of mind, be aware that the "signed for" service that might be offered doesn't mean too much when the coin arrives at this end, IMO.

The postie only knocks on my door when he sees a red (Royal Mail) signed-for sticker on the envelope and will usually ignore a foreign one, so in the event of a non-delivery, probably the best you'll ever get is confirmation that it has entered the country, not that I have actually received it. Save your money.

As already mentioned, please fill out the CN22 label not using the word "coin" anywhere and place a low value and you'll be fine!

Thanks,

Russ